Do you have a hobby other than boats?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My other hobby. Nothing breaks a bad mood like sending a few 5.56 rounds down range. :D
my favorite gun is my old browning A5 shotgun, don. older than me :eek: , & the choke (full) is still tighter than browning's published min. specs. believe me, it's NOT from lack of use.....assault style rifles just don't excite me, if 5 rounds of 12 ga. 00 buckshot don't do it .........
Yeah but I can drop someone with one shot before they ever get close enough to use a shotgun, not to mention there's something about a 5.56 round leaving the barrel @ 3300 feet per second....... :D

And even if anyone does get close enough to be a physical threat my .45 Glock with the hollow points will do the trick. B)

Might have to take you up on the coming up one day early to do some shootin', just the percussion from a 62 grain 5.56 gets the blood pumpin'. :p
Get real Don , Many ranges rent chronographs. I doubt you could push a 62 grain pill over 2900 fps.
Glenn the NATO 5.56 62 grain green tip penetrators (NATO SS109 U.S. M855) are spec'd @ 3100-3300fps. I can tell you from first hand experience the M855 rounds are worlds apart from a typical 55 grain .223 or 5.56. Didn't believe it myself until I started shooting them, serious SHTF ammo. ;)
Don, the way most ammo and bullet makers SPEC. out their products is more or less thru a 26" test barrel. For every inch of barrel length under that you can expect to lose around 40 FPS/per inch. Military rifles and commercial bolt actions are different animals. The Mil.Spec. autoloaders use a 1-9 twist (to stabilize the 62 grain pills) while the commercial bolt action ,223's use a 1-12 twist(for the 50-55 grain pills). In any case- I've never had a problem putting a 5.56 or .223 round on target @ 400M :) . A very accurate and pleasant round to shoot.
Amen to the accuracy and pleasant round to shoot my friend, once I started punchin' out the 5.56 rounds there was no going back to the .223's. My Daniel Defense DDMV4 is full mil-spec 5.56 NATO and 1-7 twist, nuttin' but nasty. :D

Here's a pic of where all the .22 ammo is going, my daughter Dixie. I built the 10/22 for her last Christmas. She loves to sit at the bench and send lead down range. We usually end up cleaning halfway through the day, otherwise it gets too gummy to cycle.

I've got her starting to shoot skeet with me using my grandfather's old 1100 28ga. I'll have her on the sporting clays course with me in a couple years.

Dixie's new toy 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is one of my hobbies;

26442_112601098750373_7788700_n.jpg

Brain.. Rob.. both look great!..

I have a total love for AMCs SC/Rambler.. Its my baby along with my baby!

I will not license it in the state of IL anymore so its going to have to wait until I take it back home to WI some day...

I should go on to say my car is the Johnny Lighting model for the diecast..

I will not license it in the state of IL anymore so its going to have to wait until I take it back home to WI some day...

Mike is that your doomsday bunker in the last pic. :D

Here's a pic of where all the .22 ammo is going, my daughter Dixie. I built the 10/22 for her last Christmas. She loves to sit at the bench and send lead down range. We usually end up cleaning halfway through the day, otherwise it gets too gummy to cycle.

I've got her starting to shoot skeet with me using my grandfather's old 1100 28ga. I'll have her on the sporting clays course with me in a couple years.
Boyds stock? Nice piece! Is that a Rugger 10/22? Ive got a Marlin Model 60 that I still need to finish. Dad bought it for me for my first rifle. I just got done putting a trigger and spring kit on it, with a new cnc trigger guard and Boyds stock. Still need to get a scope and rings.

Cool stuff Guy's

Found a Para .45 on the cheap to try things out.

Ed Brown mainspring housing, Wilson Combat match trigger, Stainless oversize barrel bushing.

Hogue grips in desert tan, springs and grip screws from Cylinder & Slide.

Gene

Mike is that your doomsday bunker in the last pic. :D
Ray.. why yes.. yes it is....lol

Boyds stock? Nice piece! Is that a Rugger 10/22? Ive got a Marlin Model 60 that I still need to finish. Dad bought it for me for my first rifle. I just got done putting a trigger and spring kit on it, with a new cnc trigger guard and Boyds stock. Still need to get a scope and rings.
Yes it's a 10/22. Green Mountain heavy barrel, Revolution extreme stock in purple haze. It's an old Tasco Euro Class 1.5-6X scope (Japanese manufacture, pretty nice glass). It's got some Volquartsen parts in the trigger group. The scope rings are so low to fit her, I can barely shoot it.

The base rifle and scope were inherited from my Grandfather, so we tore it down and gave it some upgrades. It's a pretty serious tack driver at this point. Only limited by the shooter's ability.

Jim,

Sorry man, I'm going to keep feeding her ammo as long as she wants to keep shooting.

We have three of them in the family, soon to be four (I need a new take down for a trunk/traveler).

Dixie's is in the picture and my wife Jen wants the same build in stainless/different color stock. I've got a manlicher stocked international with a nice 2-7 power Hawke with the same mounts/rings you have. It's a great looking rifle, but the long forend isn't floated so the POI really changes as it heats up. It may get modded for Jen.

I'm going to build a charger one of these days just to round out the collection. One of my shooting buddies built one for grins, it's a kick.

It's funny, with all the nice rifles I have in the safe, if I'm going for a walk I always grab my old beater heavy barrel in the hogue stock with a set of Tech-sights. I've had the action since I was 12. I haven't worn it out yet, not from a lack of trying.

They are a bit addictive and I can build 5-6 for what I have in my favorite shotgun.

Brian, I've got a browning auto 22. I always thought it was called a BLR. Not sure on model name. Great semi-auto take down .22. Asked for $$ on my 12th b-day so I could buy my 1st gun. 31 years ago this thanksgiving. Still love it.

Holy crap, 32 years ago this tgiving. Am I officially old??
joe, in a word - YES :lol: . i've got a browning semi auto 22 also. does yours load thru the side of the stock, like mine? a blr is a lever action, btw. i've still got a marlin model 99 22 semi auto that i got a few years before i met my wife & we've been married for 35 years. i've owned this gun for 38 - 39 years. got the rifle, 4x tasco scope, outers cleaning kit & 10 boxes of mohawk ammo for $25. still shoots great today.

Holy crap, 32 years ago this tgiving. Am I officially old??
O.K. Joe, Let's do the math :) . 12 + 32 = 44. Guess what- you're in your prime buddy :D . My Remington 511X and 870 Wing Master 12Ga. are close to 40 years old and the S&W 41 Mag is 37.

glenn, my browning a-5 is 62 years old. carried it with me hunting yesterday. a prized possesion, but not babied ;) . after all, it's a HUNTING gun...

Robin, As far as your Browning A-5 shotgun goes. Very interesting history there. The prolific gun designer/ pologimist (spelling?) John Browning Designed many firearms- most patents were sold to Winchester outright. When John designed the A-5 he knew he had something "special". He asked Winchester to buy the patent rights and also ask for royalties on every one sold. Winchester refused so Browning had the A-5 produced by FN in Belgium. As far as I know John Browning would never accept any payment for guns designed for the US Military. Did not believe in making a profit from war.

Latest posts

Back