Divinycell

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick J

Hi Guys, Just thought I'd throw this out to the masses for constructive comment/input.

Up until this afternoon I have been making all my sponsons out of DOW "blue foam" with really pleasing results using polyurethane glue (gorilla grip). But following recent discussions with numerous boaters I decided to buy some Divinycell to use as sponson core material as I like to try new things where possible.

For those of you that use or have used Divinycell what is your favourite glue to use with this stuff?

Eagerly awaiting your inputs

Thanks in advance

Johno

Both slow CA & epoxy seem to work fine. I've never used polyurethane glue but I bet it would work well if you can control the foaming.

Andy told me about this years ago and I've been building sponsons "his" way ever since. Using thin CA wet the foam till it stays wet (stops soaking in), shoot some kicker on your wood then put the 2 together (once!). You can get away with much thinner ply as it's really just a skin, the CA soaked foam is tough. I do use epoxy on the inside plate though.

I use 1/32" for the top and inside and 1/64" elsewhere for my 40 and 60 boats. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Gents

As per usual some great information posted.

Thanks again for your assistance, I will let you know how I go

Johno

Latest posts

Back