Details needed for Transponder Lap Scorring systems

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our club has been looking at using this system for a couple of years now. The pick-up loop is the major problem with using the transponders. It has been used underwater for jet ski racing, but their's is in a pvc tube floating on the surface. Because the jet ski's use a pump, there is no rudder, prop, turn fin to deal with. You could string it over the startline, but then you have to deal with possible boats hitting it. The personal transponders will pick up at quite a distance. I race 1/12 scale over the winter, and I heald my car over my head and it still picked it up. We have also purchased RC Scoring Pro software which can be adapted to boat racing format.

The next possible solution is RFID tags. They are cheap, but the downfall is the speed of the boats. I don't think they would pick up a boat going over 70 mph.

Yes....it is 2012. And we need to step forward. It would take a large investment to even try this system. I hope someone does.
We don't need to step forward, for the sake of stepping forward because it's 2012. Turn judges and a qualified CD is fine with me. OMHO. Yes, you have the human factor, we make mistakes, but have electronics tell you that your last instead of first :wacko: all hell will break lose. Again OMHO B)

My 2 cents...

A CD is still going to have to make the final decision. With all the technology in a lot of sports, most sports still have to refer the decision to the video referee. We dont have time for that as our heats only go for a minute or so. The technology would be nice to have to assist but i wouldnt break the bank trying to get it done.

Nothing will beat a well respected and qualified CD who knows about all the sh!t that happens when we race.

My 2 cents...

A CD is still going to have to make the final decision. With all the technology in a lot of sports, most sports still have to refer the decision to the video referee. We dont have time for that as our heats only go for a minute or so. The technology would be nice to have to assist but i wouldnt break the bank trying to get it done.

Nothing will beat a well respected and qualified CD who knows about all the sh!t that happens when we race.
Well said mate!!!!

Guys

This system has been around for years, it's not like it's something brand new. There would be information available to you that would be of value, in my opinion. It would allow you to see your lap times, calculate your mph, display intervals between each boat in the heat..ect. I do agree that a good CD is hard to beat, but they are few and far between. A human would ultimately have the last call in any instance.

Every once in a while, I miss the old rotary phones. But I do have a cell phone, lap top, I-pad. It was cool to use two soup cans and some string to talk to your buddies, but things have come a long way since then. Some people still use crystals on AM radios. That's there choice.

I say bring on the personal transponder system! Working properly like the car guys have it, it can only make the CD's job easier. No BS about how many laps you have, or if you go over on the start. Geez, maybe we should go back to running TT events with a stop watch. Lol Some how I don't think so. IMHO a good CD (2012 version) with the right electronic system would be the bomb. If I remember right, when the IMPBA tried it the transponders were as big as your house. They left it up to the individual to tie it down or provide some sort of bracket system and they had to be charged during the event. Not a negative but 25 plus year old technology. Today's systems are small, personal (meaning you own your transponder) and they run off the receiver battery/receiver. All we need is someone to perfect the loop system. I believe the Can Am club has looked into it extensively and could pull it off given the chance. I'll be supportive and be open minded. Go for it guys!

RJ Jr.

Latest posts

Back