D2 RC Boat Swap Shop – Would it be worth it?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Nauss

Over the last few months I have been kicking around the idea of putting together a mid winter swap shop in Michigan geared towards RC boats. My goal is to setup something pretty simple where we can clean out our workshops while we get together and see each other while.

What I had in mind was inviting hobby shops that normally carry RC boating products, the various basement dealers, anyone who wants to sell of the extra stuff in their workshop, and the people who like RC boats. Get us all in one place and have a good day of boating in the middle of the winter.

What I want to find out is if there is enough interest and support for this that it can be pulled off and ran as a break even event in the cost department.

So what do people think?

GREAT IDEA just make sure it does not over lap the swap meet in Owasso in Feb. as that may be a spot to start if you can get enough tables from them and change that swap meet to a boat show instead of an airplane show. Scott

That's a good idea, maybe one of the clubs could sponsor it?? There are enough people in the area it could owrk on a small scale. You could have it at a Community center, or some place like that to help keep the location cost down. Maybe have it after the 1st of the year?

Josh-

Sounds good to me. It would be nice if it was held somewhere more central in the state than having to drive over towards Detroit. I usually have a table every year when the Kalamazoo Thunderbird's plane club hold theirs at the Fairgrounds in March. It reminds you of Toledo, a lot of plane stuff but not much else. Steve Ball used to make the drive up so that I wouldn't be the only boater there. Some of the sellers had a few boat pieces but not much.

You could draw in some of the dealers that hit the shows that do sell the odds and ends that we all use.

Grand Rapids and Fort Wayne used to have swap meets that both carried boating gear but I don't think the swap meet is still being done in G. R.

If you're looking for commercial vendors, I can get in touch with a few of the guys the run the T-Bird's club.

I am going to watch this post for a few days and see what sort of response I get. I have a friend looking into the cost of a place that is easily big enough to host something like this and the cost should be pretty reasonable. If the response is favorable then I'll see what I can do about getting some backers to help me in the cost sharing.

there is a saying

build it and they will come.

So if there is a swap people will come even from other distant locations , due to cabin fever.

Back