Cold Weather Nitro Operation

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WikiWiki1

Supporting Member
Tomorrow is our first practice day and it's been snowing here all day. More snow predicted tomorrow.

What kind of adjustments need to be made to run in the freezing weather? Temp supposed to be

34-38 degrees.

Brent :(

Lighter fluid will help get her started and higher nitro for more heat and richer needle for starters, I would say. Really snowing here right now, but still can see across the street (almost). I also use the lighter fluid when I fill the motor with water and blow it out then a squirt of lighter fluid helps it start faster.

Tomorrow is our first practice day and it's been snowing here all day. More snow predicted tomorrow.What kind of adjustments need to be made to run in the freezing weather? Temp supposed to be

34-38 degrees.

The only adjustment in that temp is to adjust your thought process. Stay home and stay warm. We try and test in cold weather all the time and the only good that comes from it is to say that we ran a boat. Wait a second.....that is still better than staying home.

Have fun and a squirt of lighter fluid in the carb works wonders for starting.

Robert Holland

Colorado

Tomorrow is our first practice day and it's been snowing here all day. More snow predicted tomorrow.What kind of adjustments need to be made to run in the freezing weather? Temp supposed to be

34-38 degrees.

Brent, Dress for cold weather, put your beer-I mean soda in a cooler so it dosen't freeze and have fun! Is this the maiden run for the Exide? Glenn

34-38 degrees.

Brent, Dress for cold weather, put your beer-I mean soda in a cooler so it dosen't freeze and have fun! Is this the maiden run for the Exide? Glenn

I ran a tank through it a few nights ago on some open water but this will be the first time on a race course. I''ll let you know how it went.

Brent

34-38 degrees.

I ran a tank through it a few nights ago on some open water but this will be the first time on a race course. I''ll let you know how it went.

Brent
You North West guys' are tough. Tomorrow was supposed to be a first outing here in Utah. It's been snowing for the last 4 hours and supposed to be worse tomorrow. :(

34-38 degrees.

Brent
You North West guys' are tough. Tomorrow was supposed to be a first outing here in Utah. It's been snowing for the last 4 hours and supposed to be worse tomorrow. :(
I am suppose to test tomorrow but I think your Utah snow is suppose come our way.

Robert

Colorado

34-38 degrees.

Brent
I am suppose to test tomorrow but I think your Utah snow is suppose come our way.

Robert

Colorado
It sounds like it's gonna hang around here for the weekend- hope you have a good day tomorrow Robert. Glenn

34-38 degrees.

Brent

Well it snowed most of the morning and about 10 boats showed up and ran. It was cold and wet but I think everyone had a good time. The water was flat all day.

Brent

Back to the question at hand. It depends on your nitro %. If you're trying to run 65%+ at those temps, you may need to add 5-8% propylene oxide.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you normally run about 60% nitro, the easiest solution is to drop to 40%.

If it's humid/damp run a hotter plug too. K&B1L or MC-8 or even an MC-59.

If it's dry, stick with your normal plug. K&B HP or MC-9.

This is all you need to do to maintain good power and reliability.

Stay with this until your weather gets well above 50 degrees.

PS. Don't use the Propylene....it makes me dizzy and I'll crash into your beautiful new boat!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the warning Andy, I forgot to mention that it is really nasty stuff. It is not definitely for beginners, or those that don't know what they are doing. But it is effective........

Andy and Jon,

What does dropping in Nitro Content do for us that run in cold weather? Does it keep the motor too cool with the higher Nitro?

I run in cold weather and at altitude. Talk about issues.... but thats for another time.

Robert

Colorado

Andy and Jon,What does dropping in Nitro Content do for us that run in cold weather? Does it keep the motor too cool with the higher Nitro?

I run in cold weather and at altitude. Talk about issues.... but thats for another time.

Robert

Colorado

Reducing the nitro increases the alcohol content in the fuel. From what I understand, the alcohol lights off first which then ignites the nitro. Increasing the alcohol level by reducing the nitro should make the engine easier to start and more consistent while running in colder weather.

water gets cold,30 degrees, you pumpin 30 degree water thru it, figure it out , choke off the dam cold water , let it run a bunch more on the bench to get up some heat and it will run just fine unless you try to idle up to the line for a lane one start. beep 30 seconds till the start

Back