CMB 90 RS EVO engine mods

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobBinnie

I have a dead stock CMB RS EVO as per attached picture

I have engine in one of Andy’s SGX 90 HullsE44D2FBD-818F-488F-8EA2-CB5038975688.png

What engine mods are you guys doing to these for heat racing on 50% nitro
Any help would be appreciated
Rob

Steve

I am just not familiar with the CMB 90 RS EVO
Squish clearance for 50%
Do I need to make a new head button to suit 50% if so what cc’s
Do you cut Zimmerman disk
What does this engine like?????

I've never done anything with a CMB. Do have a 1.01 that a friend has and is putting bearings in it for me.

Looking at the specs, if you got it to run at spec performance levels it outta be real competitive. What's it take to get there? Don't know yet.

Here's some tuning 101 strategy. Get a solid baseline before you change anything. Check head clearance and head volume. Lots of ways to check head volume, I do it both on the head button itself and installed on the engine after checking clearance.

How is it running? Is it propped correctly? Running in the desired RPM range? What about glow plugs? How do they look after running on the nitro percentage you are using? Pipe length good?

There are many schools of thought on tuning. I used to alter timing back in the day - today's engine designs have lots of timing, so no more chopping or shims under the sleeve for me. I just optimize the compression ratio, pipe and prop selection.

I'm sure you'll get lots of advice.

Last edited:
Here’s what I would do:
Set head clearance to .014-.015”.
Remove the low speed needle.
Excalibur Pipe at 11-1/2”
1667 at 5.8”
Go have fun
So you convert this carb to a hydro style do you leave the remote needle in or make a spray bar
What size hole in spray bar?

Attachments

• 7C6A084E-8CC8-4BDA-AB5C-4D55281AFF14.jpeg
    7C6A084E-8CC8-4BDA-AB5C-4D55281AFF14.jpeg
    20.6 KB · Views: 39
So you convert this carb to a hydro style do you leave the remote needle in or make a spray bar
I believe you will be able to unscrew the needle and plug/modify that carb to work no problem. If you want a cleaner look you could buy a new spray bar. On mods that are basic but needed on that engine , I would add that tightening the disc clearance down to .004” will be beneficial. Jeff Lutz

That is ok but need strong servo for remote needle because sometimes needle stuck then servo will burn out Good luck!

Not sure this was mentioned earlier, but thoroughly clean the motor. All too often I have found small machining chip and debris inside the motor. If you have the patience pull the sleeve out and use a small Cratex bit in a Dremel or Foredom wand tool and deburr all the ports. The chrome plating leaves a sharp edge which can break off and be ingested into the engine.

I haven't had a chance to go through mine yet but what I've heard is disc clearance and no water in the lower cooling jacket.
Pretty much what we did with previous RS engines.

Back