• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold CMB 4 Port

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, are you going to the race next weekend? IF I can talk the "budget director" into letting me spend some cash........

Hi Mark, I don't see myself racing anymore this year because I don't want to tear up the nitro boats, (the Red Speedy and Velocity have been sold locally) that are for sale. All the rest of the nitro stuff is up for sale. I haven't even posted half the stuff I have yet. Let me know if you want it and you can come by anytime that I'm in town. I usually spend quite a bit of time out salt water fishing for salmon, halibut, Lings and rock fish in the ocean this time of year.

I didn't know there was salt water salmon we catch king chinnock and coho salmon here in the great lakes were currently getting them in 120 ft of water never been salt water fishing 🤔
From what I can tell, the salmon in the Great Lakes are "land locked", meaning they have no way to get to the ocean. Any salmon that was spawned or planted in creeks or rivers that have access to the salt water will have them head into the ocean. They then return, after "growing up", to the same river or stream in what is called "a run". Here in Washington, many of the major rivers are dammed, as is the channel between Seattle's Lake Union and Puget Sound. Many of these structures have locks and fish ladders included in their designs to facilitate the shipping and salmon going up and down the rivers and channels.
We have Chinook(also referred to as King), Coho(also referred to as Silver), Chum(also referred to as the "Dog" or "Calico") , Pink(also referred to as "Humpie" or "Humpback"), and Sockeye in Washington's river systems

Last edited:
Thanks for info we have all of the above also in the fall they head up the rivers and steams to spawn now there out in the deep waters not sure if we have chum or sockeye but we do have pinks

Hi Mark, I don't see myself racing anymore this year because I don't want to tear up the nitro boats, (the Red Speedy and Velocity have been sold locally) that are for sale. All the rest of the nitro stuff is up for sale. I haven't even posted half the stuff I have yet. Let me know if you want it and you can come by anytime that I'm in town. I usually spend quite a bit of time out salt water fishing for salmon, halibut, Lings and rock fish in the ocean this time of year.
I might be able to do that. Will you be home this weekend? Again, it comes down to the "budget director" allowing me to spend some money on my "expensive hobby" :eek:

I might be able to do that. Will you be home this weekend? Again, it comes down to the "budget director" allowing me to spend some money on my "expensive hobby" :eek:
We will be around until 10 or so on Saturday before we head down to our place on the coast. Let me know what your banker says!

Last edited:
From what I can tell, the salmon in the Great Lakes are "land locked", meaning they have no way to get to the ocean. Any salmon that was spawned or planted in creeks or rivers that have access to the salt water will have them head into the ocean. They then return, after "growing up", to the same river or stream in what is called "a run". Here in Washington, many of the major rivers are dammed, as is the channel between Seattle's Lake Union and Puget Sound. Many of these structures have locks and fish ladders included in their designs to facilitate the shipping and salmon going up and down the rivers and channels.
We have Chinook(also referred to as King), Coho(also referred to as Silver), Chum(also referred to as the "Dog" or "Calico") , Pink(also referred to as "Humpie" or "Humpback"), and Sockeye in Washington's river systems
The Pacific salmon species all came from the west coast and were introduced into the Great Lakes a few decades ago. I refer to pinks as cat food.

Last edited:
Thanks for info we have all of the above also in the fall they head up the rivers and steams to spawn now there out in the deep waters not sure if we have chum or sockeye but we do have pinks
The Chums can be good for smoking because they have a high oil content, so the meat doesn't dry out as easily as say a Coho, the oil content is similar to Chinooks because both species are herring gobbling fiends. Both can be so full of herring that often when they get on the deck they start regurgitating partially digested herring because they are trying to build strength and stamina to get up to the spawning grounds. Chums do put up a wild fight. They look like the Neanderthals of salmon.

Sockeye isn't caught here in salt water, except commercially.
There is a nice Sockeye fishery in Lake Washington and the gear is a little different, bright red bare hooks (there's a few flatfish lures that work as well) on a fairly short leader and trolled with some sort of small white, pink or red flasher.

My dad was a commercial fisherman and we caught thousands of Sockeye by gillnetting in Bristol Bay Alaska and here in Washington in the Strait of Juan de Fuca and Puget Sound.

Back