Charleston Model Boaters, Grand Prix

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually stay out of these forum discussions but I think it is time to set the record straight and get back to fun racing which the Charleston guys want to do.

The Grand Prix Series was started about 12 years ago by tunnel and gas racers that did not have the opportunity to run all of their classes in the district 13 high points series because there was not enough time to run all of the additional classes. The series originally started out with five races, Huntsville, Savannah, Jacksonville,SOWEGA and Atlanta. Dispite lots of changes in the district we have managed to continue with a successful series.This is basically a day and a half race, start noon Saturday, finish Sunday. When the tunnel population fell off we offered other classes, requested by some who wanted to race more, sport 40 and scale. Still with the decline of the tunnels the race continued as an all gas race until another group ,that did not have a series heat racing venure to participate in, joined the ranks, fast electric. We have not set out to exclude any racers just provide racing for the boaters that could not find a racing series for their particular classes.

Our races are laid back, causal, friendly and stress free, just a step above sport boaters but with lots of friendly competition. We are currently seeing increases in the tunnels again and the fast electric population is multiplying like rabbits.(lol)

We do not give trophies at the races, just certificates, with the series winners getting a championship jacket.

I hope this explains to those who did not know how this series started and it in no way intended to exclude anyone just include everyone that did not feel they were included elsewhere.

Norman Morton

IMPBA District 13 Grand Prix Director

Norman,

One question regarding your comment about your last sentence in your next to last paragraph - "We have not set out to exclude any racers just provide racing for the boaters that could not find a racing series for their particular classes". There is currently no series in D13 that includes the nitro hydro, nitro monos and the MOD-VP tunnel in their respective classes. They have no place to go except for the spring and fall nats or outside of the dsictrict. No series is available except for the GP series and it does not include those classes. If you have made that statement, and meant it, why does the GP series not include those classes? There are many of us that want to run in the series but as presently structured, they are excluded. We are all boat racers and want and should be able to run our boats. Open classes are not the same as having their proper classes being run. What is the harm in adding in those classes to the series and doing it now and not in 2011? It is a simple question. WE WANT TO PLAY!!
John

This was intended to be a kind of history of the Grand Prix Series. Maybe I should not have said " We did not set out" instead of "We have not set out".

As far as the district high points series that is another discussion entirely.

When the Grand Prix Series started there was only open gas mono and open gas hydro in the district series.

MOD-VP tunnel was offered at one time but there was no interest.

Instead of getting into another he said you said they said pizzin' match, just offer the separate nitro classes in question. We're all boaters right? Why on earth would you exclude anyone from having fun?? :blink:

We need each other- nitro, gas, FE so put everyone in the same puddle and just have a good time. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually stay out of these forum discussions but I think it is time to set the record straight and get back to fun racing which the Charleston guys want to do.

The Grand Prix Series was started about 12 years ago by tunnel and gas racers that did not have the opportunity to run all of their classes in the district 13 high points series because there was not enough time to run all of the additional classes. The series originally started out with five races, Huntsville, Savannah, Jacksonville,SOWEGA and Atlanta. Dispite lots of changes in the district we have managed to continue with a successful series.This is basically a day and a half race, start noon Saturday, finish Sunday. When the tunnel population fell off we offered other classes, requested by some who wanted to race more, sport 40 and scale. Still with the decline of the tunnels the race continued as an all gas race until another group ,that did not have a series heat racing venure to participate in, joined the ranks, fast electric. We have not set out to exclude any racers just provide racing for the boaters that could not find a racing series for their particular classes.

Our races are laid back, causal, friendly and stress free, just a step above sport boaters but with lots of friendly competition. We are currently seeing increases in the tunnels again and the fast electric population is multiplying like rabbits.(lol)

We do not give trophies at the races, just certificates, with the series winners getting a championship jacket.

I hope this explains to those who did not know how this series started and it in no way intended to exclude anyone just include everyone that did not feel they were included elsewhere.

Norman Morton

IMPBA District 13 Grand Prix Director

Norman,

One question regarding your comment about your last sentence in your next to last paragraph - "We have not set out to exclude any racers just provide racing for the boaters that could not find a racing series for their particular classes". There is currently no series in D13 that includes the nitro hydro, nitro monos and the MOD-VP tunnel in their respective classes. They have no place to go except for the spring and fall nats or outside of the dsictrict. No series is available except for the GP series and it does not include those classes. If you have made that statement, and meant it, why does the GP series not include those classes? There are many of us that want to run in the series but as presently structured, they are excluded. We are all boat racers and want and should be able to run our boats. Open classes are not the same as having their proper classes being run. What is the harm in adding in those classes to the series and doing it now and not in 2011? It is a simple question. WE WANT TO PLAY!!
John

This was intended to be a kind of history of the Grand Prix Series. Maybe I should not have said " We did not set out" instead of "We have not set out".

As far as the district high points series that is another discussion entirely.

When the Grand Prix Series started there was only open gas mono and open gas hydro in the district series.

MOD-VP tunnel was offered at one time but there was no interest.

History lesson aside, as some of my club members have stated so eloquently, the past is the past so leave it there. The high points series was cancelled last year and leaves only the GP series. Don is correct, why not offer the nitro classes now in the only series remaining? It is what I have been asking for some time. B/D/E nitro hydro and mono would work for a start. The big riggers/monos are not made for the SOWEGA lake. Everyone should have the same opportunity to run their boats, in their respective classes, in D13 races. Again I ask why not add them now for 2010???

First of all I want to thank Gabe for taking on the task getting the information out about "Charleston Model Boater's Grand Prix"...also a special thanks to Norman for the history lesson, for us new boaters it does help to understand the progression of a race. My next "Thank You" goes out to all the people at the SOWEGA race that welcome the CMB with open arms..I have to admit that was one of the most laid back fun races I have ever attended. And we are grateful you let us have the Grand Prix race in May.

I do want to put out some information about Charleston Model Boaters from the new officers of the club. We are changing and for the better. We have elected new officers that have been in place since last year and it appears to me that a lot of you all don't know them. Well let me introduce them to you. Anthony Black is our President, Rick Glover is our Vice President, I am the Sec. Richie Corbin is our Treasure and Randy Corbin is a elected voting officer to provide a tie breaking vote if needed and we have asked John Knight to assist the board since he is one of the members that has been with the club the longest and he has taught us alot.

If anyone has questions or issues with the club we ask that you directed them to our current officers. The goal of Charleston Model Boaters is to offer races at our pond and provide the racers with a great racing weekend.

I hope everyone will continue to work with us to improve the sport of RC Model Boat Racing....without all the issues of the past being brought up.. we as a club just want to race as all of you do. As I read this post it is suppose to let everyone know we are happy to be hosting another race and all I read about is negative things from years ago.. Maybe if you have something negative to say you can direct it at whoever you want in a pm and not air your negative thoughts here.

We can't change what happened years ago or make anyone like someone they never have but we can be adults and keep our negative thoughts to ourselves.

I am not the spokeswomen for CMB and this is my opinion but I know the other officers do back me ...we want to provide fun races at our pond and continue to grow as a club. We hope to continue to host many more races. Times change and its time to move on into the future! Let's just RACE! JJ

First of all I want to thank Gabe for taking on the task getting the information out about "Charleston Model Boater's Grand Prix"...also a special thanks to Norman for the history lesson, for us new boaters it does help to understand the progression of a race. My next "Thank You" goes out to all the people at the SOWEGA race that welcome the CMB with open arms..I have to admit that was one of the most laid back fun races I have ever attended. And we are grateful you let us have the Grand Prix race in May.

I do want to put out some information about Charleston Model Boaters from the new officers of the club. We are changing and for the better. We have elected new officers that have been in place since last year and it appears to me that a lot of you all don't know them. Well let me introduce them to you. Anthony Black is our President, Rick Glover is our Vice President, I am the Sec. Richie Corbin is our Treasure and Randy Corbin is a elected voting officer to provide a tie breaking vote if needed and we have asked John Knight to assist the board since he is one of the members that has been with the club the longest and he has taught us alot.

If anyone has questions or issues with the club we ask that you directed them to our current officers. The goal of Charleston Model Boaters is to offer races at our pond and provide the racers with a great racing weekend.

I hope everyone will continue to work with us to improve the sport of RC Model Boat Racing....without all the issues of the past being brought up.. we as a club just want to race as all of you do. As I read this post it is suppose to let everyone know we are happy to be hosting another race and all I read about is negative things from years ago.. Maybe if you have something negative to say you can direct it at whoever you want in a pm and not air your negative thoughts here.

MWe can't change what happened years ago or make anyone like someone they never have but we can be adults and keep our negative thoughts to ourselves.

I am not the spokeswomen for CMB and this is my opinion but I know the other officers do back me ...we want to provide fun races at our pond and continue to grow as a club. We hope to continue to host many more races. Times change and its time to move on into the future! Let's just RACE! JJ
Jeni, Charleston Model boat Club Makes everyone attending the event Feel Welcome...... Many out of towners from various dists in NAMBA & IMPBA race @ the Charleston Pond. We have attend the Fall Nats the last 2 years & will make every attempt to be there again this year. It is a 1700 mile round trip for my Rig. But we know what to expcet when we arrive... HARD FAST CLEAN Racing with some of the countrys Best Competiiton & a club that can keep it all organized for multiple days of racing.... Hats off to Anthony stepping up to club Pres !!! Great guy that likes to have Fun @ the races. Charleston Model boaters & the members have done a Great Job getting this race on the Map for A MUST ATTEND RACE for FALL Nitro & Gas RACING..... jw

MWe can't change what happened years ago or make anyone like someone they never have but we can be adults and keep our negative thoughts to ourselves.

Jeni, Charleston Model boat Club Makes everyone attending the event Feel Welcome...... Many out of towners from various dists in NAMBA & IMPBA race @ the Charleston Pond. We have attend the Fall Nats the last 2 years & will make every attempt to be there again this year. It is a 1700 mile round trip for my Rig. But we know what to expcet when we arrive... HARD FAST CLEAN Racing with some of the countrys Best Competiiton & a club that can keep it all organized for multiple days of racing.... Hats off to Anthony stepping up to club Pres !!! Great guy that likes to have Fun @ the races. Charleston Model boaters & the members have done a Great Job getting this race on the Map for A MUST ATTEND RACE for FALL Nitro & Gas RACING..... jw

Thanks for the positive feedback.. that's what racing is all about!

WHAT JENNI SAID B) !!

joe, couldn't agree with you more. i drive 1300 miles round trip for the wtc each spring. wouldn't miss it for the world.

Surely don't want to get in the middle of this one!!!!

But, since the there wasn't any advanced notice for race #1, I understand there were 130 boats entered??

Did the scale & sport-40 classes make at the first race?

Are there any commitments for these two classes for the 2nd race of the series??
Rick

There were 120 boats entered. The race was advertised thru the normal channels, IMPBA web site, AMB web site and some forums.

The sport 40 and scale classes are offered but have not had many entries.

Norman
Norman, I beg to differ with you, on the SOWEGA website, there is no contact info for the race, no race flyer.

The AMB website still, as of this morning says date tentative http://www.atlantamodelboaters.com/raceschedule.html and no flyer.

Kinda hard to know about a race, with this much info on it

I do thank the Charleston Model Boater's for getting the info OUT THERE for all to see, and plan for.

But, as has been stated, with not offering nitro mono & hydro classes, I can't justify making a 7 hour trip to run 1 or possably 2 boats.

Just my opinion here, and may not be worth much, since I'm a newly renewed member of IMPBA, to maximize your attendance, offer all of the IMPBA's recognized classes

Gabe

Can you add me to Sport B Tunnel.. Frequency 2.4 and add Candy to RTR with frequency 2.4.

thanks jj

Jeni, I will but I am going to have to build a beater boat now for the sport class.... Repeat after me, "There is no BUMP RACING in Sport Tunnel. Its not the same as RTR"

Please send me an email with the info in it, Its how I am keeping track for when it comes time to build heat sheets. You can also put it in a PM, as I get emails for those also.

~ Gabe

i need to rethink if jeni's running tunnel, bumpers and more floatation :lol: :lol:

tim

Jeni, I will but I am going to have to build a beater boat now for the sport class.... Repeat after me, "There is no BUMP RACING in Sport Tunnel. Its not the same as RTR"

Please send me an email with the info in it, Its how I am keeping track for when it comes time to build heat sheets. You can also put it in a PM, as I get emails for those also.

~ Gabe
Be afraid..be very afraid..."BUMP RACING" is my game........if you don't want to get Bumped stay out of my lane........jj

As of 3/30/10: 99 Boats

Sport B Tunnel 6 Boats

James Clegg

Don Gilbert

Tim Dean

Deryl Nesbitt

Rick Glover

Ricky Bearden

B Tunnel 7 Boats

James Clegg

Fred Lumb Jr.

Don Gilbert

Tim Dean

Deryl Nesbitt

Rick Glover

Ricky Bearden

D Tunnel 6 Boats

James Clegg

Don Gilbert

Tim Dean

Deryl Nesbitt

Rick Glover

Norman Morton

Open Tunnel 3 Boats

James Clegg

Tim Dean

Deryl Nesbitt

Sport 40

60 Scale

LSG Rigger 9 Boats

Randy Corbin

Dustin Corbin

Eddie Corbin

Richie Corbin

Rusty Corbin

Anthony Black

Alex Black

Josh Black

Tad McWhorter

23-30cc LSG Mono 11 Boats

Fred Lumb Jr

Randy Corbin

Dustin Corbin

Eddie Corbin

Richie Corbin

Rusty Corbin

Scott Huff

Doug Smock

Norman Morton

Rick English

Jim Ragan

23-30cc LSG Cat 8 Boats

Deryl Nesbitt

Randy Corbin

Dustin Corbin

Eddie Corbin

Richie Corbin

Rusty Corbin

Jim Ragan

Gillian McWhorter

LSG Sport Hydro 12 Boats

Fred Lumb Jr.

Rick Glover

Randy Corbin

Dustin Corbin

Eddie Corbin

Richie Corbin

Rusty Corbin

Anthony Black

Alex Black

Josh Black

Paul Rollins

Wayne McWhorter

Open Mono 4 Boats

Fred Lumb Jr

Scott Huff.

Rick English

Jim Ragan

Open Hydro 6 Boats

Fred Lumb Jr.

Anthony Black

Alex Black

Josh Black

Jim Ragan

Gillian McWhorter

Open Offshore 9 Boats

Randy Corbin

Dustin Corbin

Eddie Corbin

Richie Corbin

Rusty Corbin

Scott Huff

Anthony Black

Alex Black

Josh Black

LSG Crackerbox

LSG Tunnel 2 Boat

Norman Morton

Ricky Bearden

Classic Thunderboat 1 Boat

Norman Morton

P-Limited Sport Hydro 2 Boats

Reed Eagle

Doug Smock

P-Limited O/B Tunnel 3 Boats

Reed Eagle

Doug Smock

Paul Rollins

P-Limited Hydro 3 Boats

Reed Eagle

Doug Smock

Paul Rollins

N-Mono 3 Boats

Reed Eagle

Doug Smock

Paul Rollins

P-Mono 2 Boats

Doug Smock

Paul Rollins

RTR 2 Boats

Jeni Johnson

Charlie Seinsheimer

Some Nitro, Some Gas, Some FE. There were Riggers, Monos, Cats, Tunnels, every kind of boat you can think of. An FE mono won the open mono class against some fast Gas monos... JAE riggers galore in the FE classes, plenty of options to choose from.

Get a 40 tunnel to compliment your HTB290 John, and you have 4 classes to run. If I raced a Nitro big block mono or hydro, I would chomping at the bit to race against similar FE and Gas boats of the same hull style... but that's me.

We get it if you dont want to race the GP series, really we do. No big deal. But don't talk negatively just because it doesn't cater to your specific wants, that is counterproductive for the club, and the sport, wouldn't you say?

~ Gabe

I had 2 significant nitro racers contact me last evening about the classes being offered. When they found out that the nitro monos and hydros can only run in the open class, they stated they would not come. There are many that will not run in an open class for very good reasons. That is not being negative, just telling it like it is. Don't try and spin me out to be the evil Darth Vader, I just made the note for others to see as some appeared to be confused. The race is what it is and I am fine with that. BTW, I have 10 boats already and I don't need another one, especially a tunnel or a gas boat I am nitro only. Good day to all.
I would come & run all of the nitro classes if they were on the entry list. for a Spring Race. its a Long Distance for many. Got to do some racing when we get there. jw..

As of 3/30/10: 99 Boats

Sport B Tunnel 6 Boats

James Clegg

Don Gilbert

Tim Dean

Deryl Nesbitt

Rick Glover

Ricky Bearden

B Tunnel 7 Boats

James Clegg

Fred Lumb Jr.

Don Gilbert

Tim Dean

Deryl Nesbitt

Rick Glover

Ricky Bearden

D Tunnel 6 Boats

James Clegg

Don Gilbert

Tim Dean

Deryl Nesbitt

Rick Glover

Norman Morton

Open Tunnel 3 Boats

James Clegg

Tim Dean

Deryl Nesbitt

Sport 40

60 Scale

LSG Rigger 9 Boats

Randy Corbin

Dustin Corbin

Eddie Corbin

Richie Corbin

Rusty Corbin

Anthony Black

Alex Black

Josh Black

Tad McWhorter

23-30cc LSG Mono 11 Boats

Fred Lumb Jr

Randy Corbin

Dustin Corbin

Eddie Corbin

Richie Corbin

Rusty Corbin

Scott Huff

Doug Smock

Norman Morton

Rick English

Jim Ragan

23-30cc LSG Cat 8 Boats

Deryl Nesbitt

Randy Corbin

Dustin Corbin

Eddie Corbin

Richie Corbin

Rusty Corbin

Jim Ragan

Gillian McWhorter

LSG Sport Hydro 11 Boats

Fred Lumb Jr.

Rick Glover

Randy Corbin

Dustin Corbin

Eddie Corbin

Richie Corbin

Rusty Corbin

Anthony Black

Alex Black

Josh Black

Wayne McWhorter

Open Mono 4 Boats

Fred Lumb Jr

Scott Huff.

Rick English

Jim Ragan

Open Hydro 6 Boats

Fred Lumb Jr.

Anthony Black

Alex Black

Josh Black

Jim Ragan

Gillian McWhorter

Open Offshore 9 Boats

Randy Corbin

Dustin Corbin

Eddie Corbin

Richie Corbin

Rusty Corbin

Scott Huff

Anthony Black

Alex Black

Josh Black

LSG Crackerbox

LSG Tunnel 2 Boat

Norman Morton

Ricky Bearden

Norman Morton

P-Limited Sport Hydro[/u ]3 Boats

Reed Eagle

Doug Smock

Paul Rollins

Reed Eagle

Doug Smock

Paul Rollins

P-Limited Hydro 3 Boats

Reed Eagle

Doug Smock

Paul Rollins

N-Mono 3 Boats

Reed Eagle

Doug Smock

Paul Rollins

P-Mono 2 Boats

Doug Smock

Paul Rollins

RTR 2 Boats

Jeni Johnson

Charlie Seinsheimer

2010 CMB GP Entry list:

As of 5/3/10: 111 Boats

Sport B Tunnel 6 Boats

James Clegg

Don Gilbert

Tim Dean

Deryl Nesbitt

Rick Glover

Ricky Bearden

B Tunnel 7 Boats

James Clegg

Fred Lumb Jr.

Don Gilbert

Tim Dean

Deryl Nesbitt

Rick Glover

Ricky Bearden

D Tunnel 6 Boats

James Clegg

Don Gilbert

Tim Dean

Deryl Nesbitt

Rick Glover

Norman Morton

Open Tunnel 5 Boats

James Clegg

Tim Dean

Deryl Nesbitt

Ricky Bearden

Rick Glover

Sport 40

60 Scale

LSG Rigger 9 Boats

Randy Corbin

Dustin Corbin

Eddie Corbin

Richie Corbin

Rusty Corbin

Anthony Black

Alex Black

Josh Black

Tad McWhorter

23-30cc LSG Mono 13 Boats

Fred Lumb Jr

Randy Corbin

Dustin Corbin

Eddie Corbin

Richie Corbin

Rusty Corbin

Scott Huff

Doug Smock

Norman Morton

Rick English

Jim Ragan

Kathy Huff

Kem Gilley

23-30cc LSG Cat 9 Boats

Deryl Nesbitt

Randy Corbin

Dustin Corbin

Eddie Corbin

Richie Corbin

Rusty Corbin

Jim Ragan

Gillian McWhorter

Kem Gilley

LSG Sport Hydro 12 Boats

Fred Lumb Jr.

Rick Glover

Randy Corbin

Dustin Corbin

Eddie Corbin

Richie Corbin

Rusty Corbin

Anthony Black

Alex Black

Josh Black

Wayne McWhorter

Pat Mulvany

Open Mono 6 Boats

Fred Lumb Jr

Scott Huff.

Rick English

Jim Ragan

Kathy Huff

Kem Gilley

Open Hydro 8 Boats

Fred Lumb Jr.

Anthony Black

Alex Black

Josh Black

Jim Ragan

Gillian McWhorter

Rick Glover

Pat Mulvany

Open Offshore 11 Boats

Randy Corbin

Dustin Corbin

Eddie Corbin

Richie Corbin

Rusty Corbin

Scott Huff

Anthony Black

Alex Black

Josh Black

Pat Mulvany

Kem Gilley

LSG Crackerbox

LSG Tunnel 2 Boat

Norman Morton

Ricky Bearden

Norman Morton

P-Limited Sport Hydro[/u ]3 Boats

Reed Eagle

Doug Smock

Paul Rollins

Reed Eagle

Doug Smock

Paul Rollins

P-Limited Hydro 3 Boats

Reed Eagle

Doug Smock

Paul Rollins

N-Mono 3 Boats

Reed Eagle

Doug Smock

Paul Rollins

P-Mono 2 Boats

Doug Smock

Paul Rollins

RTR 2 Boats

Jeni Johnson

Charlie Seinsheimer

Gabe,

I'll get the entry in this week with ya. Just got home and realized Florida decided to skip spring while I was gone 4 days. 90 on May 3.... I think I'll go to the beach in a day or two, looks like we won't have one by July 4 weekend with the currents around South FL. Is that part of the big stimulus plan we were promised? Free oil, just bring a bucket.

Back