Careers with R/C Boats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake Sabo

Hello, iam currently a Senior in High School. And iam currently looking at my options for college. Iam wanting some info on what i takes to work with R/C Boats or Boats in general? Iam really into the composities and molds that create boats. And iam big fan on the Champ boats. I dream of working in the shops such as Revolution Boats and other racing boat builders. And the Offshore Power Boats too. But would like to work in the R/C Industry.

So i guess iam asking, what advice do you guys have for me so i can live this dream? What college courses are out there that i can learn the tricks of the trade? Whats the best way that i can take to do this?

Thanks for your time,

Blake

Blake,

Look into mechanical engineering, its the probably the most direct way to tie professional knowledge with hobby knowledge and still earn a nice salary. There are also many other positions like marine techs, fabricators, etc that also tie in closely, but since you mentioned college look into ME.

Preferably pick a college with a strong SAE (society of Automotive Engineers) program. These programs include Formula SAE, Mini Baja, Human Powered Vehicles, Clean Snowmobile Challenege and more. These programs will teach you more than most of the classes will and give 10x better real world experience when it comes to finding a job.

I wanted to choose a similar path as you did and toured a bunch of colleges and their engineernig programs. I ended up making my final decision based on the student machine shop facilities one particular college had. Don't regret it one bit. Spent 5 summers working in that shop on student projects, reasearch projects and quite often custom parts for my race car.

Now I design my own boats all in CAD, machine my own hardware and love doing it.

Hope this sheds a little insight.

Tyler

Last edited by a moderator:
I know how to do CAD, Partworks, and Shopbot. I even know how to read code. So i have a good idea on the designing part. I have even took a College visit to Ranken Tech for there Precision Maching Technology class. Looks reall amazing. I just wanna be more into the hull building i guess. Like the compostites, mold making, etc. I have even contacted some of the major boat builders.

Don't limit yourself into one area of boatbuilding. Being able to design, machine, layup, assemble and paint will make you more valuable to any employer or yourself if you start your own business. Take any courses that can be even remotely associated with boating. Trust me, you won't be sorry. In high school, I took drafting, woodshop, electricity/electronics and photography and later some auto repair in a community college. My present job requires all of them in some way or another. Just a little food for thought

Here is my advice to you from my own real experience in the marine field......

Get a degree in business in addition to any other education. This will enable you to take whatever you learn, get it off the ground and ultimately as high as it can go. (I wish I had done this right out of High School)

Working for boat builders and race teams is great hands on experience, just don't linger in these jobs for very long. Learn from their mistakes and shortcomings and move on to better pay and better hours.

Get into areospace composites for a while even if not permanent. That is where I am now after many years in the marine business and I can tell you aerospace is light years ahead of the marine composites field. Not just because of the regulations of the FAA but because the materials, engineering and testing involved are amazing. Fiberglass boatbuilding is backyard crude compared to how composites are done here. I am working with super strong lightweight materials that I never knew existed. Aerospace composite technology is advancing much faster than marine.

Always spearhead new product designs. Don't just follow.

here is my advice.. ask someone who REALLY knows.. get ahold of mike z ( grimracer ) on this board.. he went to work @ hobbico and loves it.

I to would love to work full time in the model industry.

chris

I dont know if I can help but........

Im a high school flunky with a passion..

Best advice my dad ever gave me was a kick in the ass and a bus ticket.

The only degree I have is from the school of hard knocks and im sure to some it shows..

Bottom line…

LEARN EVERYTHING your brain can absorb and ALWAYS ask twice. The word “No” is an open door for chance because motivation is the result.

Tell anybody on here they cant………let me know what you get for an answer.

More info..

CAD CAD AND MORE CAD

You HAVE to know MFG process

You have to know materials related to you field

You have to know when to say when

You HAVE TO KNOW how to take a punch (Cuz most you are NEVER going to see coming)..

Im not going to tell you to not get all the proper schooling you can.. get it if you want it.. Mine however came from passion and practice. You aren’t going to get wealthy making toy boats for a living unless your idea of rich is jumping out of bed to get to work. Wakening up each day AMPED up cuz you are about to go to …..WORK… not a great word.. does not describe all I do……..

Regards

Grim

Ah yes, a little Motivation #101. :)

Degree from school of hard knocks, now I know why I like ya, we're both alumni. :p

Gotta hand it to a guy who makes a living playing with his toys so yeah I'm sure a few of us, myself included, might be just a little jealous. :rolleyes:

Rock On Grimmy. B)

The only degree I have is from the school of hard knocks and im sure to some it shows..

Bottom line…

LEARN EVERYTHING your brain can absorb and ALWAYS ask twice. The word “No” is an open door for chance because motivation is the result.

More info..

CAD CAD AND MORE CAD

You HAVE TO KNOW how to take a punch (Cuz most you are NEVER going to see coming)..

Im not going to tell you to not get all the proper schooling you can.. get it if you want it.. Mine however came from passion and practice. You aren’t going to get wealthy making toy boats for a living unless your idea of rich is jumping out of bed to get to work. Wakening up each day AMPED up cuz you are about to go to …..WORK… not a great word.. does not describe all I do……..

Regards

Grim
waking up? Dude you never sleep.

Bottom line…

More info..

CAD CAD AND MORE CAD

Regards

Grim
sleep??? what's that???

Bottom line…

More info..

CAD CAD AND MORE CAD

Regards

Grim
Can't sleep, to much Megadeth pounding in his head!!! :D :D B) B)

Bottom line…

More info..

CAD CAD AND MORE CAD

Regards

Grim
Can't sleep, to much Megadeth pounding in his head!!! :D :D B) B)
and Yellow ZO6's

Ray is right you know..

Who has time to sleep.. I have metal to head bang to and bits and pieces of ideas dripping from my pours.

COFFEE PLEASE……….

Its time to ROCK!!!!!!!!!!

Grim

O yea..

Good thing about the the Z06 Ron.. it performs at the same pace I operate!

ROCK ON

Grim

Ray..
He likes RC suff... hahahahahhaha

He now HAS RC STUFF!

Grim
Overheard curbside at Grimmy's place-

"Yeah man you should check out this new ___________ (latest goodie) it's awesome, I'll have to bring ya one home."

"Oh and by the way, got this the other day while zippin' down the interstate, think ya could make it like ...go away?"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back