Carbon fiber vs aluminium

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryConrad

Salisbury,Gadget,Irwin,Silver Bullet,Cooper. Anybody ever do a head to head test of the available and not so available 21 outboard pipes? How about 45 pipes? Do certain pipes work on some engines and not others?

years ago I did a pipe shootout. BUT.. it was a LONG TIME AGO and I dont remember the results. I did however post them here.

Grim

Larry

Every pipe is different. No magic here. Your port timing, compression and prop may work better with one pipe than another. Finding the one that works in harmony with your setup is the key. For a .21 the Cooper seems to be the holy grail. For a .45 I think the Irwins made the most rpm and my go to has always been the silver bullet as it tunes very broad. We set the 1/4 mile record with an Irwin and the 1/3rd mile with the Silver Bullet. I haven't had luck with any CF pipes but others have.

Mic

As long as its made out of a material that can hold its shape and withstand the heat, the only thing that effects the engine performance is the shape of the chamber inside it, not the material its made out of.

Mike, I did a search and found that thread about your test, interesting read, and then a bunch of smack talk. Mic, I agree there is no magic, I started this thread to find out what other tunnel heads thoughts and experiences are with the different pipes.

On that note.. Jarcanies.. martial hardness and what the pipe is made of VERY MUCH effects the pipe. We use our radar gun to find our fastest pipes. We ring the pipe and gun it.

Our fastest pipes ring the most MPH.

Grim

On that note.. Jarcanies.. martial hardness and what the pipe is made of VERY MUCH effects the pipe. We use our radar gun to find our fastest pipes. We ring the pipe and gun it.

Grim
Mike; Your comment on the hardness and the ring of the pipe is spot on. I was in France for a tether car race. I was changing tires when a Russian competitor asked if he could look at my pipe. I said sure, it was a pipe I had made from steel The guy held the pipe up by the flange and taped the pipe with the plastic end of a screw driver. I broken English he said pipe ring good, no ring no go. J.

Grim
Mike; Your comment on the hardness and the ring of the pipe is spot on. I was in France for a tether car race. I was changing tires when a Russian competitor asked if he could look at my pipe. I said sure, it was a pipe I had made from steel The guy held the pipe up by the flange and taped the pipe with the plastic end of a screw driver. I broken English he said pipe ring good, no ring no go. J.
Hello Jack

A number of model boaters have been wrapping their pipes in silicone tape to help hold heat. Do you think this is affecting more than temperature?

Thanks John

Grim
Hello Jack

A number of model boaters have been wrapping their pipes in silicone tape to help hold heat. Do you think this is affecting more than temperature?

Thanks John
Hi John I am really not sure, more heat equals more pressure. J.

The silicone is really more about holding temp when you get watered down. The boat will ether stay on pipe or climb back on eraser with the silicone wrap. "keepen that pipe temp"

I suspect you knew that.. not sure why i typed that out... lol.. cripes.. I need to get back to work! lol

Grim

This is what I was told from Jim Wilson is that by wrapping or pipe with Silicone tape is that it trick the pipe in thinking it is shorter than it is.So if you set the pipe at 8.00 inches the pipe is working at 7 1.2

Dave,,, lets ponder.. why would one want to wrap a pipe to make it act shorter? I mean I dont know. It might do that... Seems easier to just set the pipe at 7.5"

But.. testing I have done and those I have spoke to have said the wrap helps keep the pipe temp in the pipe in a water down. Truth is Jim spoke of this in detail at the masters.

Also.. not sure I would want to adjust the pipe length via SI wrap. What is the metric that determines 1/2" adjustment.. one wrap? Not a metric i would want to toss into my setup.

Just food for thought.. not busting nuts here...

Grim

On that note.. I have had CF pipes ring as well. I can not remember the numbers but when built well they ring too.

Grim

Back