Car engine in a boat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avbrando

Iv'e see a few people running car engines in boats and was wondering how? the threads on a "p" shaft engine are too short, i have heard that there are adaptors but have never seen them. i'm also in need of a cooling head and button (nova, 16.22 bore)

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

Iv'e see a few people running car engines in boats and was wondering how? the threads on a "p" shaft engine are too short, i have heard that there are adaptors but have never seen them. i'm also in need of a cooling head and button (nova, 16.22 bore)

Thanks in advance.

Brandon
I am not sure how others did it but I have adapted many K&B 8801 car engines with McCoy cranks in the past with success.

Yes the threaded part of the crank is too short if you use a stnadard marine flyweel. I used a car flywheel instead and you can start the engine on the cable connector. Actually it works best starting with a rope instead of a belt.

The lighter car flywheel did not seem to degrade idle but I think it helped with acceleration.

Brandon, contact Glenn Quarles @ 210-392-2271. Glenn is the Novarossi marine engine distributor in the USA, and should be able to fix you up with the parts needed to convert your motor to marine use. Richard D

Brandon, contact Glenn Quarles @ 210-392-2271. Glenn is the Novarossi marine engine distributor in the USA, and should be able to fix you up with the parts needed to convert your motor to marine use. Richard D
Check with zippkits.com. They should have flywheels and couplers. Since they sell the JAE riggers kits for marine and car engine applactions.here the page.

Clic to nitro accossery and you'll see the parts you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
for the most part you need a machinist to lathe down the face of the nova wheel, and machine the collet/flex coupler to reach further inside the front face of the flywheel..... Octura has the flex hex that has a radius, goes inside the front of the flywheel, which IMO, gets you on more threads, and centers the flywheel better..... good luck.....Mike

They have them for 12.00 at zipp kits, but its for the SG style crank. I assume as long as your crank has a 7mm snout, it should work.

Back