Can someone Identify this old "GKM Racing" Tunnel? NAMBA # 2007??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darin Jordan

On the way home from the NAMBA Fall SAW event this weekend at Legg Lake, Brian and I stopped by Tyler Garrard's house and on our way out, he gave me this little balsa-wood constructed OPC Tunnel.

Many of the lines and design features on it look a lot like some that I've seen up close on a Tommy Lee and Rod Geraghty OPC boat.

The cowl says "GKM Racing Team", and the number on the deck is "2007". I am assuming this may be someone's NAMBA number.

I was going to do some surgery on this hull for another project I'm working on, but wanted to make sure it wasn't something "unique" that should be preserved instead.

So, before I start cutting and reconfiguring, is there anyone out there that can identify this tunnel??

Thanks,

Not sure... I never saw Tommy run a boat that looked like that. The rigging looks like it could have been built in the 1980's.

-Carl

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, It think that, based on the "normal-ness" of this hull, it's about to go through a transformation. Going into the shop a caterpillar, and coming out a rocket!!

Here's a photo of Jack with his 20 Tunnel at the 1980 NAMBA Nats. He won the 20 Stock Tunnel Class.

JD
Jerry,

That boat Jack is holding I think is an original Prather Lap Cat!!! Look at the cowling and cockpit/driver head suppprt!!

null_zpscd25430d.jpg

null_zps14510563.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, It think that, based on the "normal-ness" of this hull, it's about to go through a transformation. Going into the shop a caterpillar, and coming out a rocket!!
Darin, I know you're an engineer, but didn't you take any science classes? :unsure: Caterpillars become butterflies. ;)

JD
I have a very special shop... things come out a step above the expected and frankly, beyond what mere science can explain! :)

Hahahaha....

Darin, I know you're an engineer, but didn't you take any science classes? :unsure: Caterpillars become butterflies. ;)

JD
I have a very special shop... things come out a step above the expected and frankly, beyond what mere science can explain! :)

Hahahaha....

Of course, that said, I may have found another option for what I wanted to do that would spare this hull from being chopped up... maybe I'll just restore it instead. :)

looking at the pics of jack, i agree with ron. sure looks like a lap cat.

btw ron, the driver in the yellow boat in your pic, is that you with hair? :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

It might be a Lap Cat. However, seems like Jack mostly ran his own tunnel boat designs. But, I have a hard time remembering to zip my trousers let alone recalling something that happened 33 years ago :huh: .

JD

looking at the pics of jack, i agree with ron. sure looks like a lap cat.

btw ron, the driver in the yellow boat in your pic, is that you with hair? :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

LOL. Whetstone will be all over that one!!!... :D

Back