CAD/CAM Software

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris Flynn

What software are you gentleman using that has CAD/CAM capabilities for machining parts?

Our work is looking to expand our capabilities and are looking into options for software. We have the machines, so why not make the most of them!

We cannot justify the $18,000 for SurfCAM or MasterCAM....

Check us out at www.steg.com.au
default_smile.png

I've tried a bunch with varying degrees of success.. BobCad, Visual Mill are pretty decent for the money. Used GibbsCam once

But ended up the MasterCam...its not cheap, but if you really want to get most from your machines its tough to beat. (Lots of programers available if you need to hire someone)

Looking at the parts you make (there pretty awesome by the way!!), not sure the low end options will be that much help IMHO

Thank you very much for your replies. It does look like MasterCAM is a great product from our 'trials' but just a heck of alot of $$ right now...

Appreciate your options, we will give them all a try and see what we may be able to use to suit us.

We only really have 2 machines which are easy to intergrate with CAD/CAM software, most of the programs we write are for one off type larger work and more suited to 'conversational' type prgramming, rathe than G Code

one machine is a horizontal borer with X: 3000mm Y 1500mm Z 1500mm

second being our 6month old milling machine X 2600mm Y 1000mm Z 1000mm

I personally use Rhino 4 for my cad program, its relatively easy to learn and is a 3d program, and relatively inexpensive, I use Sprutcam 7 for the cam program, it was a bit difficult to learn but does a lot for the money and will do 4th axis as well.

I make hobby type 3d parts and some engraving.

Rhino about 800 dollars.

Sprutcam 7 cost me about 1000 dollars when I bought the machine package from Tormach about 2 1/2 years ago.

Hi Kris, I used to sell Cabinet Vision software for the cabinetmaking industry..It was $75,000 or so for the full blown CADCAM package about 7 years ago. $18,000 is fairly cheap for CADCAM software if it works properly..expensive if it doesn`t.. I have mates who use Rhino 4 & Rhino CAM to produce very nice parts for RC gliders..I have other mates who use Solidworks..somewhat more than $18,000 but the results are impressive.Cheap software will always have limitations but ther are always work arounds once you learn how to use it. It all depends on how much time & material you want to waste to save the $$.

It really is down to the end user as to how good the results are. Most programs will have trial versions that you can play with but often you wont actually be able to machine something with the trial version. Get the sales reps out to demo the products & then make your decision.

Ian

I use FreeCAD which is decent for 3D part design, but it's only usable on *nix systems, the Windows port is garbage. I haven't checked if it has support for toolpaths.

I've been a GibbsCam user for about 15 years. I started out with the basic system for mills then I bought the lathe package, then I bought solids, and I kept upgrading as I needed more. I have about $18,000.00 in it now, but it took 10 years to get there.

My brother uses BobCad and likes it. I have a seat of V23 and a seat of V25. I don't really like either one. And I have a friend who uses OneCNC to make molds and likes it.

Before I bought GibbsCam, I looked at several that were available at the time and I would a demo from each one. When I got a demo, I told he sales person I wanted to do it. I told them to stand behind me and tell me which keys to press. GibbsCam was by far the easiest to use.

If you decide to go with GibbsCam, I'll be happy to work with you while you learn it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back