C-hydro NAMBA 90-94

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRealDeal

Hi everyone,

I'm hopeing you guys can help me figure out who made a outrigger around 90-94 that took first place C-hydro (NAMBA) around those years,I bought one of these years ago from Toys For Big Boys (across from DisneyLand) and for the life of me,I can not remember the builders name,I'm curious if this guy is still around or not?

The rigger had balsa core front sponsons and no rears,alum. tubes,a two piece machined turn fin (real nice!)A alum. plate on the transom and some of the best hardware Ive seen still to this day(made by someone else,and I can't think of that name either)I think it weighed under 5lbs ready to run, and the wood work,,,,,unbelievable!

Any help here would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,Joe

Hi everyone,
I'm hopeing you guys can help me figure out who made a outrigger around 90-94 that took first place C-hydro (NAMBA) around those years,I bought one of these years ago from Toys For Big Boys (across from DisneyLand) and for the life of me,I can not remember the builders name,I'm curious if this guy is still around or not?

The rigger had balsa core front sponsons and no rears,alum. tubes,a two piece machined turn fin (real nice!)A alum. plate on the transom and some of the best hardware Ive seen still to this day(made by someone else,and I can't think of that name either)I think it weighed under 5lbs ready to run, and the wood work,,,,,unbelievable!

Thanks,Joe

Joe,

It could be a Russell Rigger made by Gary Russell who at one time lived in Las Vegas. The hardware I think he used was made by Don Gardner of XXL.

Just a Guess!

Russ

Hi everyone,

Thanks,Joe

Joe,

It could be a Russell Rigger made by Gary Russell who at one time lived in Las Vegas. The hardware I think he used was made by Don Gardner of XXL.

Just a Guess!

Russ
Bryan Neal also built a very popular rigger in SoCal around that time frame..........As I recall Paul Dassonville also had a good running "C" hydro at that time.

There was a So Cal guy that used to build rear sponsonless riggers for sale about that time, I think his name was Mike Dehogg. I bought a 45 hydro from him I think about that time frame. No longer in boating, I think he went back to competition target shooting. Mark Grimm used to hang with him, maybe they still keep in touch. Quite awhile ago, straining the old brain cells abit there. I got a Brian Neal 67 rigger for sale cheap, but it's got rear sponsons.

Hi Joe,

Rudy is correct, Mike Dehogg built some of the finest wood boats to ever be put in the water.I had Mike build the very first one without rear sponsons for me in the late 80's maybe early 90's (It's that brain cell thing ya know) It was a "B" or 45 hydro. I was lucky enough to set a couple records with that boat. Shortly after, Mike built both "C" & "X" vershions.

And yes the hardware was Don Gardner XXL . Don is not making this any more, but Lenny Blake of Rum Racing Products has been producing the exzact same hi quality hardware as Don built! Mark is not in touch with Mike anymore, don't know why :unsure:

Don :)

Thanks Guy's,

None of those names really ring my bell,Great history though!

More info,

The nose of the hull was about 2" of balsa,covered in some real thin cloth and there were two holes in the top sheeting to get to the bolts for the front sponson tube,

Really wish I had pics of it,but I did'nt even own a camara back then,

Anyone know of any sites that would have old NAMBA recocrds? NAMBA's site only go's back to 99

Thanks again,Joe

It's probably a DeHoog. I still run one in district 19. It's not the fastest boat on the water today, a bit shorter and heavier than todays boats, but it runs well enough for me. Definitely a very durable boat.

DeHoog Hydro

Mike

Joe,

The boat you are refering to, with the two holes in nose sheeting was more than likey a hull that I built & call "Gail Force". This is the only boat I have seen with holes in the deck here on the west coast.

Don,

Thats funny,I thought your name sounded more familiar then the others mentioned,did you set any records with the boat back then?

Mike,

That pic looks like the Camarillo pond?,I'm in Ventura,Hope to meet you guys this year

Joe

Joe,

I was lucky enough to set records in both "B" & "C" hydro several times during that era. :p

Yes that is Camarillo pond! Hope to meet you also. ;)

Back