Buffing epoxy paint?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kez

I remember someone on this forum commented that epoxy paint like Klass Kote cannot be polished out like you do with auto paint. I just want to make sure I remember it correctly before wet sanding my latest project. I painted it with KlassKote but some area has a dry sandy finish. I am thinking of wet sanding and then buffing it out. Can you share your experience?

Thanks.

kez

From what I understand the KlassKote product is (supposedly) chemically equivalent, or close to, to the original K&B Superpoxy product (from years back). And I know K&B Superpoxy could be (carefully) color-sanded, because I did it myself back then, successfully ( as per a K&B rep's instructions). Then applied clear Superpoxy afterwards. Moreover he recommended polishing the final finish using SemiChrome polish, beautiful finish.

I have'nt (yet) experimented with KlassKote, but I will in the next few months.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I understand the KlassKote product is (supposedly) chemically equivalent, or close to, to the original K&B Superpoxy product (from years back). And I know K&B Superpoxy could be (carefully) color-sanded, because I did it myself back then, successfully ( as per a K&B rep's instructions). Then applied clear Superpoxy afterwards. Moreover he recommended polishing the final finish using SemiChrome polish, beautiful finish.

I have'nt (yet) experimented with KlassKote, but I will in the next few months.
Thanks for the tips. I used K&B and Hobbypoxy exclusively when they were available. I cleared over color coat all the time but never had to polish out dry spots. Please let me know how your projects turn out with Klasskote

It should look like glass if you clear it on your color... slowly bring the clear and coats in... id wet sand your bad spots id say and reshoot color to ensure coverage and then clear... ive had great results for a novice painter with klasskote... the thing is... if youre prepared for 2 days of painting youll achieve chemical bond as well as mechanical... if... you say... prime... and wait a week, youll have to scuff it, to achieve mechanical bond...( thinner rag, or tack cloth for dust) his instructions give direction on the ways needed to achieve finish... drying times, recoat times, etc... ive followed the instructions and never failed yet... one thing is... it will shoot ugly... and its gotta be the formula or whatever, as itll be shooting ugly and every time at least for me... it magically lays flat and nice and smooth after the shooting maybe an hour... good luck.... wear safety equipment, man... epoxy paint never leaves your lungs....

Back