Brushless 6s hydro: sponson mounted water pickup...advice.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yurkanip

I am hoping you seasoned boat gurus, can shed some light on where to mount an sponson water pickup. Obviously I am doing this to provide a second line, other than the rudder water pickup. This is for a Brushless motor, and speed control cooling, so you guys running nitro and gas, can still help since water pickups are necessary on all of the above boats, nitro to electric. I would like to have one line (rudder cooling) go straight to motor cooling, then the second(sponson cooling etc) go directly to the speed control

My issue is I am not sure whether to mount it on the right or left sponson...as I have read several threads against mounting the pickups on the right side of the sponson (turn fin), due to adding even more drag on that side, given that is the way most boats pull do to the motor turque anyway. Should I mount the secondary pickup on the left sponson, to counter-act the dreaded right pull that boats with big props sometimes have. ? I am about to skin the top of my whiplash...and I would love to hear what you have to say about this, so I can mount the internal cooling tube, OR NOT....I wanted to ask for some advice first.

Thanks in advance.

Why not run a dual pickup water rudder? One outlet goes to the motor and the other to the ESC.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
MOunt it on back of hte left sponson. 2 reasons; the drag that you mentioned, and the fact the the right sponson often pulls up out of the water a little through the turn. Iplan to use a sponson pickup on my boats that use SS knife blade rudders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the replies....would mounting it flush in the sponson be a good idea? I am talking...drilling at a 45 degree angle inside the sponson, hard mounting a brass tube as the pickup then routing the tube to my motor cooling before I skin the top deck......?or have you had equal success with the external adjustable sponson pickups?

Thanks again..and keep the input coming...I am learning a lot from you seasoned boaters.

Thank you for the replies....would mounting it flush in the sponson be a good idea? I am talking...drilling at a 45 degree angle inside the sponson, hard mounting a brass tube as the pickup then routing the tube to my motor cooling before I skin the top deck......?or have you had equal success with the external adjustable sponson pickups?
Thanks again..and keep the input coming...I am learning a lot from you seasoned boaters.

Rudder pickup is the least drag and best flow.

I do not know much about electrics and their cooling. Would a "y" off the rudder be enough to cool both?

I am somewhat familiar with setting up hydro's, and I would not put the pick up on the left sponson - because the torque of the engine (prop) forces the right side down thus creating less pressure on the left side. Putting it on the right side will indeed cause more drag and will pull to the right even more. The torque makes the right side ride harder on the water thus more drag and pulling. This will add to your "prop walk"

Useing dual pickups if you feel like you need more cooling would be my choice. But remember you are running a 20 size boat and that dual pickup will create a lot of extra drag of which you try to avoid.

Good luck. The Dad

Latest posts

Back