Brass Fuel Line

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin_R_Clark

Ok, one of the things that gives me the most trouble is bending that tubing to get it in the tank. I just know there is a simple way to do this without kinking it. I am thinking that maybe finding a cable the right size and putting it inside then bending it would work but haven`t tried it yet. What is the correct way?

Hobby suppliers sell spring tube benders that fit over outside of

tube, or heat it, then bend it.

Hi Guys!!

14 or 12 guage solid electrical wire is your answer..........

stripp off the plastic coating and run it down the tubing..........

bend away.....there are limits, but this usually gets it done.

a little light oil down the tube before you put the wire in will help it come out easier.

Enjoy the season, Bob the Fool :blink:

I use nylon weed whacker line fed thru the tube to stop it kinking. Once the tube is bent to shape I grab the line with a pair of pliers and pull it out of the tube. Works great! B)

crimp the ends fill it with sand.. bend how you want it poor out sand.. cut end and flush with water

I think its Dobro that makes a neet tubing bender that rolls around the out side so you can make tite bends. Only a couple of buck at swap meets. Scott

I have too used electrical wire, Has to be the solid wire, and it works really well.

After doing it with the wire inside, verses heating and bending, So much nicer to work with.

as far as the bender,there nice, but for the small brass, dont think its worth it.

bender works nice on stuffing tubes. :D

Tom

Fellas,

I buy my tanks from Grim, so I don't have too worry about tubes. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Custom fuel cells are the only way to fly,on the water that is.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Guys

You should heat the brass cherry red & quench in water. This softens it so it doesn't kink. Wire down the tube is good, or go to the hardware store & buy a spring that just fits over the tube. it will cost you about 2 bits. That also keeps it from kinking. :eek:

Later!

Ed Radz B)

Mark,

Yeah I agree the metal fuel cells keep it simple but the draw back is knowing the volume of fuel in them. In certain boats I use the Sullivan fuel cells so I can keep a close eye on them. My best example is my Phil Thomas Sport .40. I run a 12oz tank so I really need to know where the fuel level is at when I'm testing. This way I don't always have to keep filling it up over and over very time I make certain adjustmnents.

Heat the tubing with a torch until it changes color, not red, let it cool then you can bend it. Becareful not to kink it when you bend it.

You can heat the tube, that works. But they actually sell a soft brass tube that is much easier to bend and is unlikely to kink. The hard brass tube will eventually split or crack in the tank.

I get the soft stuff at the LHS.

Debbie's RC World

You will need to ask for Les. The others most likely aren't aware of it.

Here is what i do and it seems to be working even after years of tube bending. Granted im no master at this stuff and it can be tricky.

You said fuel line.. so im thinking 1/8" or 5/32" sizes. If so then we use hard brass tubing that we anneal. Its stronger then the soft brass tubing when it comes to high nitro/vibration spider cracking that is sometimes seen.

Also we use the benders that dubro sells. They work great and are inexpensive. The can be purchased in 1/8” and 5/32” sizes.

If its larger sizes that you are looking to bend, then we use K+S tubing benders. They are outer housing jacket spring benders and work quite well.. Not as well as the dubro ones but they do work.

Look for tubing benders on the right hand side.

http://www.dubro.com/DU-BRO/DUB_CAT/Dub_cat_Frameset.htm

Rock on

Grimracer

Last edited by a moderator:
Back