Boating Friends

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Hobbs

Legend of the NW
Vendor
I spent a few days in Virginia on the way to the IMPBA Internats in Alabama. I am so lucky to have good friends, Dick Tyndall, Don Ferrette, and John Finch who took me out to their practice pond for testing. Looking back on my adult life, I can honestly say that my nearest and dearest friends came through model boating. Thank you again, Dick, John and Don for stepping up when a boater needed some help.

Al Hobbs

I can honestly say, the majority of my closest friends are from model boating. A couple of them back to 1988. I spend most Sundays with great guys from 2 different lakes down here.

It's no different then anything else in life......you get out of it what you put into it.

Al, you couldn't have said it any better. Not only have I made some of the best friends through model boating, I've even had the pleasure of bringing other friends into it as well. Great times, win or lose, I consider many in my circle,,brothers and sisters. One of our club members said one time, "we're a social club, with a boating problem" ! Good luck atcthe Internats, and myself and several of the Voodoo RacingTeam will be in Virginia in a few weeks for the gas Nats.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Dear Friends! I'm so sorry that health and lost my wife not allow me to join all of you in boat racing. I'm still happy to build the flow meters and cordless starters and hope to make it a few more years. Boris

I've met a lot of good people over the years in the boating world. I've also met a few that weren't so good. This is where the fun of boating comes in, so many more good than bad. Just avoid the bad and all is good
default_ph34r.png

I fully agree with Al and everyone else, during my 22 years in this hobby I have made so many lasting friendships that I will always cherish. I only get to see most a few times each year, due to distance to good test ponds and races, but I really look forward to those special times with my good buddies.

And a brief shout out to Boris, thank you SO MUCH for your contributions to our hobby!

Wallster

Yep, I don't have any good friends (mates) I didn't meet while doing boats (and now cars). In some ways that is sad, but I prefer it that way, we all have a common interest and have a ball when we meet up.

I really enjoyed my time with Al while he was here in Virginia. They don't come any better than Al. If people knew how much he has contributed to our hobby and especially NAMBA they would be amazed. Sure wish there were more out there like him. Some of my best friends I have met through the model boating hobby. I am proud to say that Al Hobbs is one of those people. Best of luck at the Internats, my friend!

Dick Tyndall

I spent a few days in Virginia on the way to the IMPBA Internats in Alabama. I am so lucky to have good friends, Dick Tyndall, Don Ferrette, and John Finch who took me out to their practice pond for testing. Looking back on my adult life, I can honestly say that my nearest and dearest friends came through model boating. Thank you again, Dick, John and Don for stepping up when a boater needed some help.

Al Hobbs
Well said Al, I too am proud to says these 3 gentlemen are my friends also. I was told you had not seen John since the Namba Nats in 1993, I dug this out to bring back some memories for you. PS been an apron fan ever since.
default_biggrin.png

In a world like we have today, its nice to go to a race when all your boat buddies can get together and duke it out. Win or lose its always fun. The people make it that way. When Al Hobbs is there, its just even more fun. Always laughing and having a good time, even when the boats are a little off. Al has done a lot for the hobby and that's why he is a member of the Namba hall of fame. Thanks to all the boaters out there too, its one of the few hobbies where people will lend you something to help beat themselves in a heat race. You don't always see that in the real world.

Have to agree with Rob!!! I think R/C boat racers are the greatest bunch of people you can meet. There are some exceptions but that is normal. I meet Al inEdmonton,Alberta in 86and have always enjoyed talking to him and hear what he has to say. He is a great ambassador to the moadel boating community!! Thanks to Al and all the other great boaters out there that make this a hobby.

Brad

I have found that it does not matter which affiliation you have when it comes to playing at the pond this bunch of folks is the ones that stick together and make sure everyone participates!! Since 1980 I haven't found a better bunch of Brothers in a Purpose since I left the Navy!! Thank You for all the Good and Bad Times>>

Later!!

Pat

Al Hobbs
Well said Al, I too am proud to says these 3 gentlemen are my friends also. I was told you had not seen John since the Namba Nats in 1993, I dug this out to bring back some memories for you. PS been an apron fan ever since.
default_biggrin.png

hey ray,thanks for digging this video up.i am proud to say i took 1st place overall in Sport X, and a few other trophies.i had a great time with old and new friend's. i still keep in touch with so many of the people i have met in modeling (planes,boats,cars) and are life long friend's. to ALL the people out there that do SO MUCH for our hobbies..THANK YOU! Mike "Squirrel" Costanzo...
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back