Best Radio for Gasoline power boats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the FASST system is a proven system, based on that alone Mark, its 12 years of greatness, along with the airtronics systems, the question was ..what was best for gas boat usage, there is also the extreme link which is Superior also, not many know about theise though

and FHSS, which operates the exact same way, isn't a proven system? You still haven't given a plausible reason why FASST is so much better, other than the fact it's been around a few years longer, and that means basically nothing. That's like saying the Corvette is better than the Camaro, only because it's been in production since the mid 50s while the Camaro was introduced in 1967. Try again Corey

Last edited by a moderator:
found this on another site,,FHSS= is a simple frequency hopping system, will not scan the band at boot and no error checking capabilities.

FASST: Hybrid FH/DSSS channel shifting system, it will scan the band at boot and has error checking and correction capabilities. FASST is what Futaba uses in commercial systems.

found this on another site,,FHSS= is a simple frequency hopping system, will not scan the band at boot and no error checking capabilities.[/size]

FASST: Hybrid FH/DSSS channel shifting system, it will scan the band at boot and has error checking and correction capabilities. FASST is what Futaba uses in commercial systems.[/size]
Try again Mark ,,,, Best to me is the most dependable.... Best is not what works good enough for the price

FM radios used to be good enough and worked well. The only issue was at races as you might have to wait for a frequency clip.

Today's high-dollar fancy systems have more bells and whistles that we'd ever need as these are primarily made for 4-wheelers. You can have the best or the best bang for the buck. What matters is how much do you want to spend? If $400.00+ is out of your range then you can still spend less than a C-note for a dependable TX and RX.

Best, is the one that once you got it you don't have to worry about it and have peace of mind when running it, don't count the money you have spent on it, it is cheaper than whatever the money and effort you have put into each and every one of your boats.

I've been using the Futaba Fasst systems in all my boats for at least 5 years now. I use the same TX's for my dozen aircraft. I use the 7C two stick radios because I cannot use wheel radios as I have been racing boats since 1976 and just like sticks better. I use the 617fs 7 channel receivers in all the boats. These receivers have dual antennas. I keep them under the radio box lid of my scales , hydro's, monos, outboards, even the carbon lids. No issues. I bought another 4 RX's this year from Great Hobbies when they went on sale for $39.99. Needless to say, I have a few spares.

Ford or Chevy, your choice
default_tongue.png

Don
default_smile.png

Just got a Futaba latest 4PX yesterday, according to the shop it is just in the market for a couple of weeks, and it can work with both T-Telemetry and FAAST systems.

I like a four channel system for my 4 channels gasoline boats with pristol control, 3rd channel for angle adjustment of propeller/moveable strut and fourth channel for the Killer switch, And the new telemetry sensors for FE boats.

Test this Futaba new unit on the bench with several boats and all worked good.

Have a water test on Tuesday, and it worked perfectly with the antenna placing inside the receiver box.

So will be visiting the local hobby shop to have one more set with more receivers today.

Range is important to me plus the the radio's ability to ward off or work around conflicting signals. I also prefer receivers that will works under low voltage before brownout takes place.

Futaba FASST has proven to have all of the above for me.

I did a simultaneous range check with a 4PLS Telemetry system and a 4PK-R. Both Tx's were held 4 ft. above ground level. Both Rx's were placed on the ground with the antennas held vertical above the ground. The 4PLS was good for 1100 ft. before the signal began to fade. The 4PK-R went out to 1350 ft. before signal began to fade.

I have not proven it in practice, simply because I have not gotten any glitches from either system, but I suspect that the FASST system vs FHSS is also substantially more resistant to outside interference.

Thanks, Andy, for the comment, The new 4PX is also able to use FASST receiver, so I'll try to use FASST on bigger boats which would go faster and far. This new one can use both FASST and T-FHSS as well as S-FHSS receivers.

Thanks, Andy, for the comment, The new 4PX is also able to use FASST receiver, so I'll try to use FASST on bigger boats which would go faster and far. This new one can use both FASST and T-FHSS as well as S-FHSS receivers.
Gilbert,

You could get the best of both worlds in all of your boats. Install a FASST reciever for all controls and also install the FHSS-Telemetry receiver for the telemetry devices.

You could plug the battery pack into the FHSS Rx and the FASST Rx with a Y connector so you can monitor the system power also.

Are you sure you can use both types of receivers at the same time. You would think it would have to either be set for FASST or set for FHSS-T

Almost certain you will only be able to set the transmitter to one receiver type at a time.

The telemetry receiver stores the receiver ID at the transmitter and the receiver so that almost certainly means it is not going to be able to communicate with two receiver ID's at once.

Really have no idea if this is fact as I have not setup a 4PX as of yet and the manual download isn't available that I could find.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy, good suggestion and worth a trial, may be after I have my 20+ boats set up to this new ones first. I just finished ten boats and will try them out tomorrow if the weather is good.

Back