Bending Stringer Sticks

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Walters

I'm trying to get a hint as to how to bend the stringer sticks on an 1/8" scale. I've seen a couple of things like steaming or notching slots.. What works best for you?

soaking your sringers wth amonia where you want to bend is one opion. Get the part bent and let dry before gluing.

Bob

Cutting notches is probably the fastest and easiest. One thing to remember is that the tighter the bend, the more notches you need to cut. Which boat are you building and which stringer are you bending?

I'm building the 1974 U-95 and i'm putting the stringers on the bottom of the sponsons.. that split the bottom and side of the sponson.. right at the front is where it bends the most as it come up to meet the sponson shear. Do you cut the notches on the inside or outside of the bend?

inside. i think it is called "kerfing". about 1/2 to 2/3 across. saturate with epoxy before installing so it is all coated for strength. band saw works great, set up a stop system so you dont go too deep and make a short stick.

what also works is to use 2 pieces each one being 1/2 the thickness . set the 1st one and epoxy 2nd over the top.

That actually word very well, though you need to really soak the mating sides of the two pieces of wood with slow set epoxy and use LOTS OF CLAMPS

Latest posts

Back