Bench lathe

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I second the South Bend. There's a reason for their long term popularity. I have one that's nearly the same as the one I used in high school shop over 50 years ago. I tried to make parts with a 3" swing Emco lathe. I still use it once in a while to drill holes smaller than #60 or for watch sized parts. Otherwise even a 9" swing lathe gets small when you start turning 3" diameter heat treated 4340. This lathe should really do the trick. LOL

Lohring Miller

Last edited:
Lohring you are to funny. :lol: :lol: :lol:

That could turn a prop shaft for a full size boat.

Just shows what is on Craig's list.

When I worked as a mill right in PA. the guy that owned the shop loved to buy stuff from auctions.

When thy shut down the Navy Ship yard in Philly he went on a bender and got all sort of stuff.

The when it showed up at the shop said get it set up and running Dave. :blink:

Lets just say it came in on a 50' low boy and it took every thing the 1905 10Ton shaw box had to unload it. :unsure:

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/tls/3917104756.html

This is what I am talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
i listened to everyone and bought a 10L with 4 boxes of stuff but the man didnt now if it worked . i took it home and bought a drive belt and it runs nice . the nice thing about it is i can buy any part to fix it if it brakes. a new lathe you better see if there are parts available for repair . and the old lathes have a cool look to them imo.

howard

i have the harbor fright lath and it works great for r/c stuf.yes it is small but i got it just for r/c stuf and i did not pay a lot for it ($375.00) and that was about 7 years ago. there where a few parts that has gone bad but i was able to get parts for it and now it is like new.about the only thing i would like to have gotten for it is something for cooling but for me its a great lath

You can upgrade old lathes.

Lohring Miller
Ya buddy! :)

(NLMBC member Rudy Pechmann's CNC conversion)

CIMG0316.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvf-aHAUg_g

Last edited by a moderator:
The remote reading scales are available on ebay. I installed the scales. The cross slide scale was the hardest to install and the least useful. It takes a careful layout to clear the gib screws and the compound. It didn't cut down on much of the tailstock or other movement. The carriage scale makes precision length turning a lot easier than the dial indicator I had before. Below are pictures.

Lohring Miller

Last edited:
Very nice Lathe looks brand new.

Bet that thing is as tight as a virgin.

The cut out of the ways under the chuck and the key slot table is a very nice design.

Where did you find that beauty?

Back