Bearings-Chrome-SS-ceramic??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTV Boats

I am looking at replacing some outboard PTO bearings and trying to get an education here. Wanting to reduce drag on smaller hp motors. I guess the most common combination is Chrome 52100 races and balls. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to Stainless 440c material. Then the hybrid ceramic balls with stainless races? Full ceramic not in the economic picture.

Also I assume an ABEC#1 rating is looser tolerances than an ABEC#5. Would an ABEC#5 or #7 be too tight and add resistance? Seems rpm rating goes up as ABEC rating does. Maybe Jim Allen will chime in but anyone else feel free to reply. What are the materials or tolerances on a "Swiss" bearing that makes them better? Info applying to engines and PTO's.

Mic

What does the ABEC rating actually mean?

ABEC stands for Annular Bearing Engineering Committee of the AFBMA(Anti-Friction Bearing Manufacturers Association). The ABEC grades are a set of standards for the manufacturing tolerances of bearings. All quality manufacturers around the world, manufacture to at least the ABEC 1 standard.

Is there a lower grade than ABEC 1?

There is no grade lower than ABEC 1, but bearing manufacturers are "NOT REQUIRED" to meet any ABEC standard. Therefore, be very careful of bearing manufacturers that do not give any data. Only purchase bearing brands that are well known & come with data!

Are there other standards for measuring bearing precision?

Yes. There is the ISO(International Standards Organization) standard.

What is the purpose of high precision bearings?

High precision bearings are designed to allow high precision machinery to operate smoother with less noise & sometimes at higher speeds. High precision bearings do not guarantee operation without failure. The loads applied, lubrication amounts & type, mounting, etc. will determine limiting speeds. Consider that a standard 15 MM, inside diameter, ABEC 1 bearing has a limiting speed of 44,000 RPM, if the lubricant is 20 wt oil.

Do high precision bearings guarantee greater engine RPMs?

No. The most important factor in attempting to get greater speed from any bearing, is how the inner & outer race of the bearing is mounted. Even if the bearing is an ABEC 7, with a fancy machined phenolic cage, its operation will be greatly compromised unless the mounting is correct! However, you will have spent a great deal of money un-necessarily in acquiring the high precision bearing.

What ABEC number would be best for model engine use?

IMHO no bearing higher than ABEC 3 precision is necessary in our engines. Higher grades will only cost more money & will not give any increase in performance.

What are the factors covered by ABEC grades?

There are several things such as the roundness of the balls, eccentricity of the bearing tracks, bore ID, bearing OD, surface roughness, etc.

Does the ABEC grade effect the radial play of a bearing?

No. Bearing radial play or clearance amounts are desiginated with the letters L,N,P,K,T, or C1,C2,C3,C4,C5. If K(.0008" to .0011") or C4(.0007" to .0013"), ABEC 1 to 3 bearings are mounted correctly, with the correct amount of interference fit on the ID & OD, you will be very surprised how long & how fast the bearings will run without failures or abnormal wear. Be aware that any nitro or alcohol powered engines need to have all amounts of moisture removed immediately after running!!

Jim Allen

Hi jim

thanks for the bearing info

one question

you wrote

No. The most important factor in attempting to get greater speed from any bearing, is how the inner & outer race of the bearing is mounted. Even if the bearing is an ABEC 7, with a fancy machined phenolic cage, its operation will be greatly compromised unless the mounting is correct! However, you will have spent a great deal of money un-necessarily in acquiring the high precision bearing.

Is there a way to look or request a bearing that has a PRECISION MOUNT? i have tried cermics.. i found the balls chew up the steel race.. I have yet to try full ceramic race and ball they are EXPENSIVE and i don't know how well they would seat in the case vs a steel race since you have to heat the case to put in the bearings.

what are your thoughts?

thanks

chris

Good info Jim. So what your basically saying if the bearing isn't mounted square or 90 degress exactly off the rotating axis and aligned with any other supporting bearings, a superior bearing is just going to bind? A looser tolerance a cheap fix for bad instalation? In a high moisture environment after running would stainless be advantageous? I guess we all after run oil but gnerally not till the end of the day which could be hours between heats.

Mic

Hi jim

thanks for the bearing info

one question

you wrote

Is there a way to look or request a bearing that has a PRECISION MOUNT? i have tried cermics.. i found the balls chew up the steel race.. I have yet to try full ceramic race and ball they are EXPENSIVE and i don't know how well they would seat in the case vs a steel race since you have to heat the case to put in the bearings.

what are your thoughts?

thanks

chris
When I talk about the correct mounting I'm refering to the housing & the crankshaft.

The inner & outer races of deep groove ball bearings are not designed to be able to support themselves, without the benefit of a proper housing & crankshaft!

Outer races need a housing that is rigid enough, has sufficient interference fit (.0003" to .0008", which is determind by the bearing's radial clearance & the housing's material), is round within .0002", has both bearing holes on the same axis with in .0001" & has the bores square to one another within .0001". These numbers are easily obtainable with present day CNC equipment. The housing interference fit & the radial clearance will determine the final axial play in the complete assembly. Crankshafts should be a tight push fit for proper support of the inner race!

Since all bearing radial play amounts have tolerances as well as the housings they will be mounted in, you must ask yourself the following question. What will happen if the bearings radial tolerance is at its' lowest number & the housing interference amount is at its' highest number?

For example:

A C3, 10 mm ID, bearing "should" have a radial play amount of .0004" to .0010". If the bearing that is used has a radial play of .0004" & it is shrunk into an aluminum housing with a .0005" interference fit, the bearing will be to tight & will fail immediately. This dilemma can only be solved by using the higher C4(.0007" to .0013") radial clearance bearing to give some margin of safety. Reducing interference amounts may cause the bearing to spin in its housing. Henry Nelson & I have checked hundereds of bearings for a specified radial clearance amount. We found that most bearings had lower radial amounts than specified. Maybe this is happening because no one is checking to see if the numbers are correct. This is the reason I built a tool to check bearing radial play amounts. It is shown in my photo album.

These same principles apply to ceramic hybrids & full ceramic bearings. As far as ceramics are concerned, they will run slightly faster (200 to 500 RPM in big motors), but they will last 4 X as long as any 52100 all steel, M-50 all steel or 440 all stainless steel bearing. Stainless steel bearings are not 100% rust proof, but they will resist rusting.

Jim Allen

Back in the day when I sold bearings the best bang for the buck was WIB out of Switzerland, Abec 1 C3 fit 52100 Chrome Steel with polymide retainers.

Back then WIB was the number 1 rated bearing in the world! They have since been bought by a Japanese firm based in Canada. I got out due to family illness just as this happened. I do not know if that changed WIB's quality or not but I do know that they are harder to get due to minimum purchases and higher pricing.

German bearings were at the time rated 2nd in the world but were a bit more expensive. Having not researched bearings in over 5 years I really can't say which is best in todays market.

I had many many faithful bearing customers that were very happy with the WIB quality. Still running WIB's that were purchased in 2006 in my motors at this point.

Proper installation and care are critical to extend bearing life.

Last edited:
Back