barr cut

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camaroboy383

lets start some how to threads on prop cuts.... we will start here....

a barr cut... how is this done???

is there different ways to go about it??

gains of a barr cut??

mr. mark sholund?? marty?? andy?? anyone??

alden

I have PMed a few of the Prop experts to see if they would like to share some info.

In the meantime here is a diagram of a Barr cut as posted by Marty Davis in his Tech Sheets.

There is some good info in his post here:

Prop Info by Marty Davis

Barr Cut Prop.jpg

Last edited:
a barr cut is useful if you want to help unload the prop, without affecting the trailing edge & tip as much as a texas cut would. also seems to unload the prop more at launch, than while running.

It can also reduce the lift characteristic of the prop by removing a high pitch part of the trailing edge. It's a useful modification on props that can be just a little too much prop.

Boaters,

On big monos it can lift more than a straight backcut.

Great if you have a milling machine. :D

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Does the profile of the cut make any diffierence?

I've seen a semi-circular cut and just recently seen a square profile. Have just done a Square Barr cut on the back of a 2716 20 degree prop, haven't tried it yet.

The boat was bogging a bit when exiting turns, is a Barr cutt the right thing to do in that instance?

so, can I use a chain saw file to roughly produce this cut then finish it with a finer media?

SO, DAVID/FELLAS SHOULD I GO IN WITH THIS FILE PARALLEL WITH THE FACE OF THE TRAILING EDGE?

I want to put a bar cut on an X452 how wide and how deep would be considered maximum?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back