Balancing & weighting

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Mortlock

Hi Guys

Question regarding weighting the sponsons etc.

JDs book says around 10 3/4 from the transom is the balance point and subject to conditions this can change eg wind etc , more weight

Do you guys work on balancing with a full tank of fuel,!/2 or empty,the lighter the

fuel load the different balance when running the nose would get higher depending on fuel or isnt this so critical.

We used to run a ski race boat and the lighter the fuel load the higher we got the nose and faster,we also were able to lift the engine up and down as well as trim it in and out whilst we were running,guess this is the same in model boats?

Has anybody tried using a trimable outboard so you can adjust the engine angle whilst running say on a third channel or something?

Do believe the CG needs to be 33% of the spoon length. So depending on how long the spoon is, the CG might not be the 10 3/4". I've always set CG with a dry tank.

While at the IMPBA nats, Erine LaFleur had a setup just like you described, 3rd channel for trim. Maybe he can help you out on that one.

Mark...

Last edited by a moderator:
OB Nut said:
Do believe the CG needs to be 33% of the spoon length. So depending on how long the spoon is, the CG might not be the 10 3/4".  I've always set CG with a dry tank.
  While at the IMPBA nats, Erine LaFleur had a setup just like you described, 3rd channel for trim. Maybe he can help you out on that one.

Mark...

68889[/snapback]

3rd channel for remote trim? Not unheard of but seems to be more work than it's worth. Then again, didn't Ernie take home a lot of Firsts this year? :huh:

On Some hulls 33% is too much. I start at 27% and move it forward if needed.

Greg,

I would agree with Tim as with the CG back it will just blow off earlier - with the CG forward it will plow, struggle harder to get on the plane, dig in and spin or roll when cornering. It is much easier to add weight in later than it is to take it out.

ps. I do have a spare P230 prop if you need one - drop me an e-mail.

Thanks Gary

sent you an email re the prop

this is good guys gives me a good starting point with the balance

dont want the boat to swim to early

Back