ATTN. PAINTERS

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After two months I got my sport 40 out of the paint shop. My painter got laid off before the clear coat was applied. The boat was wet sanded with 600 and decals applied. At this point I just want to get er done. I tried some Meguiars rubbing and polishing compound and the shine on a scale of one to a hundred is about a two. any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Glenn
If the clear was not applied gloss will never be achieved! Some may disagree But if it were up to me I would clear it with gel coat. then wet sand and polish. The color and decals will then be the way they should be deep and shiney.

Doug Kirkland
Doug, I have no Idea what gel coat is. Imagine it is a sort of epoxy resin. I do have some West's epoxy with the 206 slow hardener and would not spray that through my Binks #7 for all the whisky in Ireland. After 15 minutes-might as well throw the gun away.

Glenn
Gel coat is the outer finish on almost all fiberglass boats it is basically a polyester type coating that uses MEKP hardener (Methel Ethel Keytone Peroxide) . It hardens like resin. It is the best and most durable finish you can use, I am attaching a picture of a mold I made today The picture on the left is the mold using red tooling gel coat and the one on the right is the "plug" sprayed with duratech primer that was polished and waxed to release. It comes in all sorts of colors and any paint scheme can be achieved.100_0738.JPG

After two months I got my sport 40 out of the paint shop. My painter got laid off before the clear coat was applied. The boat was wet sanded with 600 and decals applied. At this point I just want to get er done. I tried some Meguiars rubbing and polishing compound and the shine on a scale of one to a hundred is about a two. any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Glenn
If the clear was not applied gloss will never be achieved! Some may disagree But if it were up to me I would clear it with gel coat. then wet sand and polish. The color and decals will then be the way they should be deep and shiney.

Doug Kirkland
Doug, I have no Idea what gel coat is. Imagine it is a sort of epoxy resin. I do have some West's epoxy with the 206 slow hardener and would not spray that through my Binks #7 for all the whisky in Ireland. After 15 minutes-might as well throw the gun away.

Glenn
Gel coat is the outer finish on almost all fiberglass boats it is basically a polyester type coating that uses MEKP hardener (Methel Ethel Keytone Peroxide) . It hardens like resin. It is the best and most durable finish you can use, I am attaching a picture of a mold I made today The picture on the left is the mold using red tooling gel coat and the one on the right is the "plug" sprayed with duratech primer that was polished and waxed to release. It comes in all sorts of colors and any paint scheme can be achieved.
Doug, Be careful to use the proper mask and filters with the MEK products-It was also used as a retarder to slow drying time in hot weather, I think it made the Govt's top ten most toxic list over ten years ago. No more painting for these 61 year old lungs. The boat's going to a Professional painter with all the proper saftey equipment.

Thanks,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back