ATTN. PAINTERS

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenng

After two months I got my sport 40 out of the paint shop. My painter got laid off before the clear coat was applied. The boat was wet sanded with 600 and decals applied. At this point I just want to get er done. I tried some Meguiars rubbing and polishing compound and the shine on a scale of one to a hundred is about a two. any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Glenn

After two months I got my sport 40 out of the paint shop. My painter got laid off before the clear coat was applied. The boat was wet sanded with 600 and decals applied. At this point I just want to get er done. I tried some Meguiars rubbing and polishing compound and the shine on a scale of one to a hundred is about a two. any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Glenn
Glenn, are you just trying to get a shine out of what you have without the clearcoat? If thats the case, i dont think your going to be happy with the results, as you really need a clearcoat to finish it off.....ive even cleared a couple of my boats and then applied the graphics, so that in the event of a boo boo i can remove the graphics without getting into the clear, and it looked decent, but with no clear on the boat at all, its going to be a bit of a stretch.......

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks in advance,

Glenn
Glenn, are you just trying to get a shine out of what you have without the clearcoat? If thats the case, i dont think your going to be happy with the results, as you really need a clearcoat to finish it off.....ive even cleared a couple of my boats and then applied the graphics, so that in the event of a boo boo i can remove the graphics without getting into the clear, and it looked decent, but with no clear on the boat at all, its going to be a bit of a stretch.......
You must be psycic Bill, I was just wondering what Bill would do. More Windex?
biggrin.gif
I was pretty sure I'd get that reply. I was just wondering if anyone had any tricks up their sleeves that I haven't heard of.

Thanks,

Glenn

I have no experience with auto paint as I have only used hobby type epoxy paint. (K&B, Hobbypoxy and now KlassKote). For epoxy paint, you can buff it out with rubbing compound and follow up with polishing compound like the 3M swirl mark remover.

I actually prefer a polished luster without the clear coat over the high gloss clear coat finish.

Thanks in advance,

Glenn
biggrin.gif
I was pretty sure I'd get that reply. I was just wondering if anyone had any tricks up their sleeves that I haven't heard of.

Thanks,

Glenn
Ol buddy, i think the other thing you have to be careful with is how much you lean on those graphics with polishing compounds or anything abrasive.....i dont know how much rubbin that vinal plastic can take.......is there anyone that might be able to shoot a clearcoat on your boat for ya?? What kind of base paint is on the boat?

Thanks in advance,

Glenn
biggrin.gif

Thanks,

Glenn
Ol buddy, i think the other thing you have to be careful with is how much you lean on those graphics with polishing compounds or anything abrasive.....i dont know how much rubbin that vinal plastic can take.......is there anyone that might be able to shoot a clearcoat on your boat for ya?? What kind of base paint is on the boat?
Bill, I've been keeping away from the decals with the rubbing/polishing compounds as best as I can. The boat is being assembled as we speak. It will run this summer come hell or high water. I'll strip the decals and have it clear coated or re-painted next winter. Have not read the NAMBA regs recently-but I'm pretty sure there was nothing in there that said "Your boat must have a high gloss finish". I'm not sure what brand of paint the painter used-just know it was a two part automotive paint. Worst case senario-I'll park it behind Tony's twin 91 when he fires it up-that should gloss it up pretty good. Take care my friend!

Glenn

It's probably a PPG or similar paint. Without the clear, any fuel that gets on it will eat it for lunch. Save yourself some time and money and take it to another paint shop and have them clear it or it will cost a heck of a lot more

Get acouple of coats of clear on it..it was sanded with 600 before decials ? That way to much!! To wetsand to buff you would only need to wet sand it with1500. but to clear it you would only need to wet sand it with1000grit. To bad you dont live in or near my neck of the woods,wouldve clear it for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably a PPG or similar paint. Without the clear, any fuel that gets on it will eat it for lunch. Save yourself some time and money and take it to another paint shop and have them clear it or it will cost a heck of a lot more
Thanks HJ, I'll find out what kind of paint he used- I asked for 2 part epoxy(so the nitro would not eat it).

Get acouple of coats of clear on it..it was sanded with 600 before decials ? That way to much!! To wetsand to buff you would only need to wet sand it with1500. but to clear it you would only need to wet sand it with1000grit. To bad you dont live in or near my neck of the woods,wouldve clear it for you.
Nessa, There's a real nice house for sale about three blocks from mine- You would love the Northern Utah weather. Snow, rain and hail in the last 48 hours
sad.gif

Glenn

Nessa, There's a real nice house for sale about three blocks from mine- You would love the Northern Utah weather. Snow, rain and hail in the last 48 hours
sad.gif

Glenn

sad.gif

Glenn
Sure you can park that nice new sport 40 behind my twin any day of the week I think it would be better behind the pay and pack it would really give a good shine with that O'Donnell fuel that you use with that much oil in it thats the biggest oil slick i ever seen
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
lol
cool.gif

sad.gif

Glenn
Sure you can park that nice new sport 40 behind my twin any day of the week I think it would be better behind the pay and pack it would really give a good shine with that O'Donnell fuel that you use with that much oil in it thats the biggest oil slick i ever seen
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
lol
cool.gif
Tony, Get off your arse and call your painter in Farmington-just ask how much and how long it would take- Clear coat only.

Thanks,

Glenn

Thanks in advance,

Glenn
If the clear was not applied gloss will never be achieved! Some may disagree But if it were up to me I would clear it with gel coat. then wet sand and polish. The color and decals will then be the way they should be deep and shiney.

Doug Kirkland

Thanks in advance,

Glenn
If the clear was not applied gloss will never be achieved! Some may disagree But if it were up to me I would clear it with gel coat. then wet sand and polish. The color and decals will then be the way they should be deep and shiney.

Doug Kirkland
Doug, I have no Idea what gel coat is. Imagine it is a sort of epoxy resin. I do have some West's epoxy with the 206 slow hardener and would not spray that through my Binks #7 for all the whisky in Ireland. After 15 minutes-might as well throw the gun away.

Glenn

Thanks in advance,

Glenn

Doug Kirkland
Doug, I have no Idea what gel coat is. Imagine it is a sort of epoxy resin. I do have some West's epoxy with the 206 slow hardener and would not spray that through my Binks #7 for all the whisky in Ireland. After 15 minutes-might as well throw the gun away.

Glenn
Glen I have a better idea for you!!! if your good at rattle can painting this will work for you.. They have a urethane rattle can clear spray paint.. its the same stuff as we use on cars and trucks but in rattle can forum..you can wetsand and buff this stuff too...

Thanks in advance,

Glenn

Doug Kirkland

Glenn
Glen I have a better idea for you!!! if your good at rattle can painting this will work for you.. They have a urethane rattle can clear spray paint.. its the same stuff as we use on cars and trucks but in rattle can forum..you can wetsand and buff this stuff too...

That's a cool product. How does it stand up to nitro fuels?

Thanks in advance,

Glenn

Doug Kirkland

Glenn

GREAT FIND NESSA!

Thanks,

Glenn

The 2k stuff IS great. I used it last yr (and this yr). As to how it holds up to nitro (60% ODonnells), it seems impervious (I accidently didnt clean my boat for 2 weeks last summer.... forgot to when I got home, and didnt think of it till the next race). No ill effects whatsoever. Laeco58 turned me onto the stuff.... Thanks Larry!!

The 2k stuff IS great. I used it last yr (and this yr). As to how it holds up to nitro (60% ODonnells), it seems impervious (I accidently didnt clean my boat for 2 weeks last summer.... forgot to when I got home, and didnt think of it till the next race). No ill effects whatsoever. Laeco58 turned me onto the stuff.... Thanks Larry!!

Accidently...Ha! Thats your SOP.

Latest posts

Back