Anyone know what engine this is?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_savoie

Hey, my dad sent me this plane engine a few weeks back. He got it back in the mid 80's and was told then that it was 'old'. Well as you can tell, there's a hunk missing from the carb or throttle body? and I'd like to get it fixed. Just not sure where to go for parts.

Any help would be appreciated.

normal_134_3492.JPG

134_3493.JPG

134_3494.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, my dad sent me this plane engine a few weeks back. He got it back in the mid 80's and was told then that it was 'old'. Well as you can tell, there's a hunk missing from the carb or throttle body? and I'd like to get it fixed. Just not sure where to go for parts.

Any help would be appreciated.

That is a COX "TEE DEE" motor.I can't tell from your photo if it is a .010 a .049 or a .09 C.I. displacement motor.[i would be willing to bet it is a .049.]

Try Tower Hobbies for parts.I would be surprized if they don't have them.

I would bet you could also pick a motor up off ebay or RC-online for a very reasonable price.

This is a Cox .051. This engine had the red plastic carb ( venturi ) housing and the .049 size engine had a black housing.

Dick
Dick,

Cool......I just went to Tower and they don't carry parts.I would have lost a bundle on that bet. :D

Here is where to get the parts.It looks like the only color available now for the replacement part is black.

www.coxmodels.com/prodinfo.asp?number=C01724

The carb body [#1724] is a big whoopin' $4.99

Later,Rod Geraghty

TEE DEE in one of the larger sizes. I'd also guess .051 or .09. The TEE DEE were a pretty fast engine for their size. Intended use was U-Control planes, though some did use 'em for R/C with exhaust throttle sleeves.

Those engines go back as far as the `70's, I had one around '79 and may still have some parts for it in a box somewhere in the caverns.

I tried putting the TD .051 in a Dumas Short Stuff way back when with an Octura Kool-Klamp on it.

Wow that was quick! Thanks for the info and link. 4.99 eh? incredible...I was expecting much more than that. It actually was for an U-control plane. It never got to fly, well it did fly from the top of a dresser to the floor once.

These high performance engines first came out in the early 1960's. They were much more powerfull than the " Baby Bee " and " Golden Bee " .049's of that time mainly because they had two intake ports in the cylinder rather than one for the other engines. The first Tee Dee .049's sold for $7.98 retail. I remember that because my older brother went to the local hobby shop on a Saturday before a Free Flight contest the next day ( Sunday ) and picked up a new engine and agreed to pay for it on the following Monday. I believe this was 1963. We went to the contest the next day and my brother lost the airplane in some trees...........never found it. He had to go back to the hobby shop the next day and pay for an engine that he no longer had!

You should be able to find a carb body for this on ebay.........lots of parts there for the Cox engines. The .049 and the .051 engines are physically the same except the color of the carb body and the bigger P&L. I still have four of the .049's new in the box that I bought in the early 1980's.

Dick

Back