Anyone ever built a Jerry Dunlap 27 Tunnel?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Luszcz

Vendor
Hi, has anyone here ever built a Dunlap 27? I bought the plans, and will be building one this winter..first full build for me, so I am wondering anyones thoughts on the boat...how it handles, how the build went? Jerry Dunlap, any pointers you can give me? Thanks!

Hi, has anyone here ever built a Dunlap 27? I bought the plans, and will be building one this winter..first full build for me, so I am wondering anyones thoughts on the boat...how it handles, how the build went? Jerry Dunlap, any pointers you can give me? Thanks!
Ive built 2 of them....great first scratch build project, i thoroughly enjoyed building them...Jerry has years of experiance designing and constructing various hulls, especially tunnels, and he is a heck of a nice guy...he was a HUGE help to me in getting my miss vegas straightened out,and now its my favorite boat thanks to him...is far as how they run...mine runs a little on the wet side but thats probably my fault because ive not spent the time properly seting the boat up. which you MUST do with most tunnels....but it turns great!! I think youll enjoy it very much, just follow the plans to the letter, and im sure that Jerry will chime in if you have any questions....have fun building and running! Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive built 2 of them....great first scratch build project, i thoroughly enjoyed building them...Jerry has years of experiance designing and constructing various hulls, especially tunnels, and he is a heck of a nice guy...he was a HUGE help to me in getting my miss vegas straightened out,and now its my favorite boat thanks to him...is far as how they run...mine runs a little on the wet side but thats probably my fault because ive not spent the time properly seting the boat up. which you MUST do with most tunnels....but it turns great!! I think youll enjoy it very much, just follow the plans to the letter, and im sure that Jerry will chime in if you have any questions....have fun building and running! Bill

Sounds good. I cannot wait to get started!

I run a Jerry Dunlap 27 with a thundertiger mod motor and it does pretty well :) got it clocked at 43 mph with a lot more in it and a lot more setup to do. Was a really fun project and the plans worked out very nicely.

-D

i built one about 5 or so years ago, ran it with a piped k&b and got it up to 45mph, i still have it!. running up north here in dist 11 we dont really get calm water to heat race in, 27" was a little small, the 30" hulls seem to do better but i guess it depends on where you race it. i was on vacation in florida in feb and saw a lot of ' retention' ponds that looked fantastic to run tunnels on

......................and they all held their breath, waiting for Dunny to chime in............................................

Well, I was down in Eugene, OR, for a weekend race. The JD 27 tunnel is basically a Dumas Hot Shot Sprint stretched from 24" to 27". I built several of them using WOF construction rather than the frame built up. To those of you who will be returning to work tomorrow, happy Labor Day. I appreciate you're helping fund my Social Security and Medicare. Hope there's something left when you reach retirement.

JD

Where is OBnut i don't have the know how to post a link to his build site

but they are easier then the frame an stringer method i think

DUNNY is the MAN whatcha working on any thing new for us WOF FREACKS

Marty

Where is OBnut i don't have the know how to post a link to his build sitebut they are easier then the frame an stringer method i think

DUNNY is the MAN whatcha working on any thing new for us WOF FREACKS

Marty
I've built several 1/4 Scale Kneelers. One for Rod Geraghty that he did an absolutely beautiful job finishing. The other one was for Bobby Tom, former K&B and Airtronics rep. A future project will be a 46" tunnel for a gas OB built by Lohring Miller. Lohring made the lower unit. Engine is a Zenoah that he's done some things to. Should be an interesting project.

JD

Try this for WOF build process..

The Dumas Hot Shot Sprint that I race is also a WOF frame boat. It was a very quick boat to build. I'd say it's the fastest way to build a tunnel. Once the frame is up, fill the holes with foam. Sand, sheet, ready.

JD, will that gasser be at the 2009 World Tunnel Champs?

There you go where else in the world can you get answers like this

INTLWATERS :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

but from the MASTER HIM SELF ;)

the best photo build guide

an a guy that knows his way around a computer

3 of the best guys around

Thank you

Marty

Try this for WOF build process..
The Dumas Hot Shot Sprint that I race is also a WOF frame boat. It was a very quick boat to build. I'd say it's the fastest way to build a tunnel. Once the frame is up, fill the holes with foam. Sand, sheet, ready.

JD, will that gasser be at the 2009 World Tunnel Champs?
A lot will depend on how well it works.

JD

Back