Antenna under the cowl?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always kept my 2.4 antennas in side the radio box and never had a problem, I don't even think tacic recivers have antennas anymore, only exception may be the spertrum marine receivers with the dual antennas.

At any rate. The 2.4 frequency hopping (fhss) systems are far superior to any 27 or 75 meg radio with the Futaba FASST leading the pack.

At any rate. The 2.4 frequency hopping (fhss) systems are far superior to any 27 or 75 meg radio with the Futaba FASST leading the pack.
Totally agree, but for the uninitiated to 2.4:

1. RC racing boats seem to have unique requirements.

2. Frequency hopping systems seem to work better in boats. Even the cheap Chinese pistols that freq hop work (RF wise), though they may have problems from their cheap construction.

3. Frequency spreading systems have been problematic in boats like DSM, DSM2, but DSMR and DSMX seem to be better (they now hop and spread)

4. Faast seems to be the best of the best, but some will say FHSS works perfectly, why do you need something better than perfect??

5. The Airtronic early surface FHSS systems like FHSS1 and FHSS2 were problematic, but the newer surface FHSS3 are great (Airborne stick FHSS1/2 worked well.)

6. There are literally hundreds of 2.4 products avail, if you consider all the cheap drones, helicopters, cars and airplanes, some under $20.00 retail. If you are going to run a high powered boat, best to check out what is working WELL in high powered boats. Many sponsered boaters have recommended products that have been less than suitable, many retail stores have sold systems that have said on the box "Marine". But haven't worked well for the boater. Today, you should expect a near perfect RF link, I think telemetry telling you the condition of your receiver battery is a big safety plus. Probably more crashes now from low/dead/crappy batteries/switch harnesses than anything else.Current Nicad/Nimh batteries are made for high MAH, but have no high drain capacity and dip to low voltages when asked to provide any amp draw, look to switch to LIFE's whether going to 2.4 or staying with 75mhz. They're quite cheap. Consider throwing away your switch harness every couple seasons. There are some new electronic switch harnesses that have no mechanical parts to corrode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your response. I have decided to mount the antenna on top of the radio box through the nose of the cowl, whether I switch to 2.4 or not.

I have no doubt the 2.4 radios are superior in terms of interference. What I am not sure is whether the relatively low RF power output (100 mWatt) will mean reduced range. I have flown my RC gliders to out of sight altitudes and still have good signal contact to the plane using my FM radios. I will not attempt that on a transmitter with only 100mW power until I have some experience with them, I believe range will not be an issue for RC boats.

kez

Back