aluminum tube pulled out of jae .12 sponson Help please

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats a great point david,,, but the hull is painted and i didnt build it just finished it,,,so its somthin im gonna have to deal with i guess... :rolleyes: ,,, fingers crossed,,, i got half a season out it before that happened so only time will tell........

ac

I have wooden blocks in both my 20 and 40, Sig airplane hardwood blocks per your LHS.... and i have replaced the maple kit blocks with an oak custom piece for the fin, and the fin boom, basically allowing that piece to adhere to the sheeting on all four sides..... the 45 boat is oak booms and fin..... aluminum booms and pins Rodney did...... long live the bank missile..... good luck, build tough. Mike

I have wooden blocks in both my 20 and 40, Sig airplane hardwood blocks per your LHS.... and i have replaced the maple kit blocks with an oak custom piece for the fin, and the fin boom, basically allowing that piece to adhere to the sheeting on all four sides..... the 45 boat is oak booms and fin..... aluminum booms and pins Rodney did...... long live the bank missile..... good luck, build tough. Mike
Wood is good. The foam will not hold up to the beating from the buoys

i know alden asked about repair, but since so many have thrown out good build ideas, i'll add mine. i cut brass discs about 1" in diameter & drilled a hole to match the boom tubes in the center. then i soldered them to the tubes to where they would be tight against the inside of the sponson sheeting. slotted the foam ot set them down in before adding the sheeting. very light, & they will have to pull the sides off the sponsons before they move. to me, a better way of locating the tubes, plus a LOT MORE surface area for the epoxy to grab.

thats a great idea robin....thanks for sharing buddy.....well i took out the jae for a spin,,and so far no issues with the aluminum tube...seems to be back in action....only time will tell i guess...thanks again boys for your insight....

alden

Mixing West System's #406 Colloidal Silica adhesive filler into a very slow setting resin will add tremendous strength to the foam area around the groved aluminum or carbon fiber tube. Mix in enough silica until the resin is similar to cold heavy syrup. Pour into the hole & rotate the plugged tube as it is inserted. Remove the excess resin & set up the sponson in some kind of an alignment fixture. If mixed properly, the resin will not sag or run. It is also extremely light in weight.

WARNING: Colloidal Silica should only be used with approved respiratory protection to avoid breathing airborne filler material!

Jim Allen

Where did you get these ideas from?

Last edited by a moderator:
John.... well, I got them from..... John!. 19 time District Points, hit me on the head, and sometimes I listen..... with results and actuality, built heat race tough..... Mike

Or rather than rebuilding the world you could flare the outer end of the tube so it won't pull thru the sponson and glue it back in place.

mb

Back