Alaska earthquake

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charles Perdue

Has anyone heard from our friends in Alaska after the earthquake to know if they, their families, their homes and businesses are OK?

Charles

Haven't talked to anyone in the club, but all the news reports are no fatalities or major injuries.  Everyone has a mess to clean up at home to some degree or another and some folks had structural damage and a few folks severe damage to their homes.  I'm amazed we had almost no damage at home, just a lot of stuff knocked over and a few drywall cracks.  Some schools had major damage.  Our CEO sent us home after the quake to look after our families, but back to business today.  Those commuting to Anchorage from Matsu and going to have a major headache until the highways are back to normal.  2 lanes in and out that are choked up during a normal commute that are down to one lane.

Talk about the state DOT being a get it done department!

This was the Glenn hwy after the quake.

glenn damage.jpg

This is the Glenn hwy as of 3pm today.  I thought it was a photo shop.

glenn fixed.jpg

Note, this is not our normal road building season so heavy equipment had been stored for the winter, quite a few personnel have gone out of state for work and the asphalt plant shutdown.  Getting everything up and running, transporting the heavy equipment on icy roads, etc, truly impressive

Last edited by a moderator:
Charles we all have a lot of broke stuff in our houses and there really on getting the  infrastructure all over town . The the strang thing for me are the “after shocks “it’s like sleeping with one eye open wait for a bad guy to get ya! 

I’ll try to down load some of the  surveillance video tonight .

Even though the house is here expensive they have strict building codes just for earthquakes. If we didn’t have it   They would’ve been a lot of deaths like in Third World countries .

It's interesting that Eagle River had much more damage than Anchorage, and while Eagle River is in the municipality of Anchorage, it is not within the city limits and hence doesn't follow the same building codes.  

I haven’t met any of you (except thru Iwaters) but glad everyone is SAFE, and do wish all the best with repairing the damage. I live in Iowa so flooding, blizzards, and occasional tornados are a threat, but nothing like you’ve experienced!

Wallster

Outside my front door
scary stuff there.

Unless you have experienced a major earthquake before it is impossible to convey how scary it can be. The depth of the noise, let-alone the actual shaking force, will make you sh** your pants. I've lived in Los Angeles area all my life, have been through a number of famous quakes, a few very violent and scary episodes (where it felt like the house was gonna collapse any moment, and I can literally hear neighbors screaming 4 and 5 houses down the street). But still not as large in Richter scale of many Alaskan earthquakes. 

Back