Air Dam Placement

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah it hit hard! I came into the corner right after Wes and saw the trench that the Lobster cut in the water, but I wanted to stay close to the boueys thinking I could at least give him a run. Left sponson caught the wake and just rolled. I guess the cowling acted like a brake and it stopped right there at bouey 2. 60mph to zero instantly!

I am assuming (from the bent needles) that the impact was enough to crack the case instead of hydro-lock. The good news is that I don't need a screw driver to adjust the needles. I have levers now LOL.
Nah you definitely hydro-locked it. Look at your first pic, the needles are pushed back yet the case is buckled forward. That's the big downside to gas, if they go under running it's about a 2 inch straight shot thru the carb and into the cylinder for the water to go. Unfortunately you can take the crank, rod, wrist pin and very likely the piston (check closely for cracked wrist pin bosses) and toss them in the same circular file as the cylinder. The gas scale I'm doing has the same motor and the forward facing carb is my biggest concern in regards to water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the fix that we did to the M/L 8255 1/8 scale. Lower the angle on the front of the tunnel back to where the existing break is in the bottom. Should end up around 5 degrees. You can see that we added around an inch of material at the front. For nitro or gas the angle that is on the front is too large. The electrics probably don't have the same problem because of the extra weight. Lower that down and it will help. It's a proven winner.

Oberto Bottom.JPG

Thanks for posting the picture...and letting me check it out while you were in Evansville. That boat is definitely a runner! Looked like you had a good run until the final. I am guessing you had a motor issue...perhaps got a little drink of water?

It definitely proves to me the AOA of the tunnel was the issue as I thought.

BTW...I just fired up my new (used) mod K30RZ. So look out Don Brown!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back