AAHAAHHHH!!!! <engine problems>

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KookieMan

AAHAAHHHH!!!!

I'm ultra new to the whole boating thing (as many have seen by my NAKED AND WET posting) I'm having some serious problems that are really bringing me down, and making me wanna give up. I just built a ABC Hobby LaserLine Tunnel Hull that came w/ a Dynamite .12 S Paris-Dished outboard with pull start. I got it up and running once no problem and now the pull start is harder than ever to pull, almost like it's jammed. But when I take out the glow plug, it pulls nice and smooth. It's almost like the compression is too much...the "jam" is so bad that I yanked my boat right off the stand (I was even holding it down), warped one of my servo gears, and had to reset my servos cause the steering rods got yanked out of line.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!

Re:AAHAAHHHH!!!!

I'm new to boats but I do have nitro cars and trucks and it sounds like you have it flooded and it hydro-locks. Take the plug out and turn it upside down and pull the recoil so all the fuel runs out of the engine than reinstall plug and it should fire up. Be carefull when you prime the engine, hold finger over carb and slowly pull the recoil and watch the fuel go thru the line up to the carb. Once it reaches the carb give it one more pull and than attach your glo starter and let her rip. Good luck! ;D

ill agree with alby... that sounds right... take it easy with the pull start... they do tend to break.

You can also try starting with glow plug loosened about 1/4-1/2 turn. Once it's running tighten it up, but don't forget or you lose a glow plug. ;D

It can be very dangerous too. I have shot one through my canvas parasol on my picnic table. It made a clean hole. I also have no idea where it finally landed. It could be your eye. Make sure you have your glow plug wrench in hand and ready to go when you remove the glow plug booster.

Hammer

Kookie,

The engine is flooding because your needle valve is open too far.

On small motors (which usually have oversize carbs for their actual displacement) the needle valve adjustment is even more sensitive.

Close it completely, remove the plug and clear out any fuel. Replace/light plug. Then twist out needle 1 turn (gonna be on the lean side) and start it. If it doesnt start after 3 tries, open 1/4 more. It will start.

As soon as the recoil start becomes hard to pull, there is something wrong, and you are gonna break something soon.

The nice thing about small engines is how easy they start. If it doesnt start after 3-6 tries, check your plug (&plug lighter), and fuel.

Fuel quality helps too.

Hope this helps you get back to the water.

....and...

...if you have swapped the glowplug recently...make sure you are using a short plug, and have not accidently used a long one.

Loosening the plug may help in a pinch, but can be dangerous. (by shooting off the top, or causing RF interference while it vibrates loose)

Switched to some new fuel, Blue Lightning stuff (sorry don't have it here at work with me)...recommeded by the Dynamite crew (I have a Dynamite Paris-Dished 12SP). That got it going but, I'm still having some locking problems. I'm gonna give Jeff K's recommendations a try, it completly makes sense since I've gotten it going but still have issues. THANKS EVERYONE :)

:p 'Nother 2 questions---------------------------------------------

My Engine/Boat uses an outboard Dynamite Paris-Dished 12SP on a tunnel hull LaserLine by ABC Hobby.

#1) How do you prevent the propeller spray from shooting back up into your carb? Got it in the pond (it looked 8)SAWEEET!!)and then I got some h2O into my carb and killed the engine. This has happened the 3 times i've had it out..Suggestions???

#2) My throttle control (pardon my poor explaination) is a push rod that uses a steel cable. It is glued to the control box and then to a swing arm on the engine mount (again, I'm sorry for the bad explaination) The rod/cable isn't really flexible and when I move the engine Right or Left, the push rod gets pulled tight or get's really bent....it effects my throttle, not too seriously but enough so that when I get the engine tuned this will make a huge difference. The problem is that I need the flexability to be able to turn my engine full right/left. Is there a better way to control your throttle??? Do i need a better push rod system?

Thanks again everyone for the help......;D

I have a Paris-dished engine in my Nitro Fury and I may have found a solution for you to help keep the water out of the carb. Get an exhaust diverter for an airplane and put it on the carb and hold it in place with a zip-tie. The belt drive on that outboard motor is probably the culprit for throwing the water up into the carb.

Being the cheap person I am I went to Menards and bought up a 10' roll of clear vinyl tubing for $1.39, add 40 zip-ties for $1.16 and made a nice exhaust pipe that extends up about 3+ inches. Works wonderfully!! The engine doesn't heat up the exhaust head really bad cause like you mentioned Ron O., the belt drives the water up onto the exhaust head and keeps it cool!

Thanks for the confirmation of what I thought might be the problem... ;)

Back