98-00 Miss Madison Newton Plans

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I guess the main question is, does the prop HAVE to be in the center of the boat?
good question.

I have no experience with offset prop locations.

I'd mount the strut on the transom centerline.

here's a 1/8 scale 8012 and the real 8012.

post-2639-0-21233600-1480972054.jpg

76792755_3XvfK-M.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I guess the main question is, does the prop HAVE to be in the center of the boat?
yer the only one who can answer this.....

depends on how much the boat weighs....lighter boat, you prolly want to offset the strut to keep it down....heavier boat...maybe it doesnt matter

I can't answer it. Right now it has nothing to do with weight. What does the IMPBA say about prop position on an 1/8 scale boat

I can't answer it. Right now it has nothing to do with weight. What does the IMPBA say about prop position on an 1/8 scale boat
Says nothing.

There's no rule on prop offset position.

Only rule is Drive Dog under the hull. The way it was explained to me it that most modern Hulls the drive dog sticks past the hull. On older Hulls the drive dog is under the hull.

Better yet. Go to www.IMPBA.net

I've ran Center and 1/4" offset from center and really couldn't tell a difference. Only difference I've seen is the angle the strut pointed towards the left Sponson about 1 degree.

I've ran Center and 1/4" offset from center and really couldn't tell a difference. Only difference I've seen is the angle the strut pointed towards the left Sponson about 1 degree.
beyond certain weight, it becomes irrelevant

Sam, I don't think, when dealing with a scale boat, 1/4" is going to make a difference. That said, the further from center you go, the more it's going to affect the handling as it's going to want to turn toward the side furthest from the prop. Just a guess but I'm thinking that could be part of the reason the boats went back to a centered cockpit and engine bay, the reduced weight and higher power to weight ratio of the turbines made the offset weight not as effective as it was with the Griffon powered Buds from the early 80s.

Note to Lennard:

Nothing is irrelevant when building and setting up a boat. Two boats could be built from the exact same kit, one could run great while the other could be a dog. All it would take is some rounded edges or an extra ounce or two of epoxy in one to make the difference.

Sam, I don't think, when dealing with a scale boat, 1/4" is going to make a difference. That said, the further from center you go, the more it's going to affect the handling as it's going to want to turn toward the side furthest from the prop. Just a guess but I'm thinking that could be part of the reason the boats went back to a centered cockpit and engine bay, the reduced weight and higher power to weight ratio of the turbines made the offset weight not as effective as it was with the Griffon powered Buds from the early 80s.

Note to Lennard:

Nothing is irrelevant when building and setting up a boat. Two boats could be built from the exact same kit, one could run great while the other could be a dog. All it would take is some rounded edges or an extra ounce or two of epoxy in one to make the difference.
note to mark

how many boats have you built/run/tested?

go test something (ANYTHING ffs) and report back when you have evidence please

moved strut around on my 91 spirit..and im sharing what happened

Agreed, Id give more credibility to built and tested. Get something on the water and report your results. Things you tried that worked and didnt.

In all the years Ive tuned in to see whats going on in the WA scale scene Ive yet to see your name. With all this knowledge you shouldve been out there mixing it by now. Time to stop with the excuses why you havent. Go have some fun and show your stuff.

beyond certain weight, it becomes irrelevant
True. after the ones I've built and ran I just find it easier to do center line of hull. My new Scale

Is gonna be center line of hull. Waiting on cowling for motor position.

I take it you guys have never seen the toy grade boats that use twin props and no rudder to turn? Shut off one prop and the boat turns to that side, something called asymmetrical thrust. This is well known in the science world.

Lennard, I don't give you any credence either, considering how much help you asked from me when you were building your American Spirit, that is before I learned you were playing "HE SAID SHE SAID" and quit helping you

Sam, I'm using the Newton Plans and I ordered the framing kit from MLboatworks. Both are offset.

Both are offset but the plans don't say anything about where the prop has to go, just where the hull and engine bay centerlines are. I did a lot of research on the Madison when I started working on one many years back. IIRC, the engine bay and cockpit are offset but the strut and prop are right on the centerline. I'll have to do some looking tomorrow and see if I can find my measurements I took off the full sized boat

tom , what motor do you plan on using ? is any one else from our group of regulars building a 1/8 scale boat ? ....bob

I'm building one of ML Extreme 1/8th kits the Elam but I keep it off here so I dont have to read critiques from people that don't build or race boats. It's a very nice kit.

tom , what motor do you plan on using ? is any one else from our group of regulars building a 1/8 scale boat ? ....bob
Bob there are currently 5 scales in the Rochester club. We will be doing monthly club races this year where hopefully all 5 will be racing. I know 4 for sure will be every month. Come on out!
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back