80 amp NIMH test

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, so far these are two cells only Jim. I picked out two really good cells and decided to test them. I will run others. I expect that IB is better though. I want to run other cells are well.

IB1200

GP2200

GP2000

thanks,

Steve

Good stuff Steve

I only ran IB3800's at the CAFE cup and have no complaints about them.

steve any way you could do that same test over lets say 40 cycles to see how the cells perform after that abuse. the 3700's don't seem to like the abuse for to many cycles and the 3800's haven't been out long enough to tell yet.

Yes, that's the plan........

steve any way you could do that same test over lets say 40 cycles to see how the cells perform after that abuse. the 3700's don't seem to like the abuse for to many cycles and the 3800's haven't been out long enough to tell yet.

STEVE i became a beleiver in the IB38's after borrowing a set for my S Mono/ Offshore from Norm. Those cells ran flawlessly in both classes at CAFE. Gave consistant power and handled the punishment a large offshore round can dish out. The IB38's can handle higher charge rates this is where the GPs are more fragile. I might ad these were Hills unmatched zapped IB38 versions also. I have a hunch the long term durability of the IB38s is going to be good also thats why i placed an order. Other racers using them have only good things to say about them. Steve keep up the good work in the R&D dept!

Could you please add the IB36's to the chart it would be interesting for comparison.

My Hills GP3700 matched are holding up better than the the loose unmatched i rec'd fr another source. Hey you get what you pay for.

Nice feedback! Thanks for the nice comments as well and orders.

thanks again,

Steve

STEVE i became a beleiver in the IB38's after borrowing a set for my S Mono/ Offshore from Norm. Those cells ran flawlessly in both classes at CAFE. Gave consistant power and handled the punishment a large offshore round can dish out. The IB38's can handle higher charge rates this is where the GPs are more fragile. I might ad these were Hills unmatched zapped IB38 versions also. I have a hunch the long term durability of the IB38s is going to be good also thats why i placed an order. Other racers using them have only good things to say about them. Steve keep up the good work in the R&D dept!

Could you please add the IB36's to the chart it would be interesting for comparison.

My Hills GP3700 matched are holding up better than the the loose unmatched i rec'd fr another source. Hey you get what you pay for.

Steve, as mentioned earlier, please include the 3600s in the chart and long term cycle comparison.

I'll need cells for next season (for both sprint and offshore) and I'm already unsure what to get. :( I will be sticking with NiMH for at least one more season.

Thanks for the work on this Steve.

RvE

Steve

It sure looks like the 3800's are putting out a higher voltage under the 80AMP load.

I am thinking ONE Min. to one Min. 15 Sec. for sprint racing.

Larry

Oh man, got a big problem now....

The IB3800 cell used is an older version.

Look at the IB3600 cell I just ran, it's a new version. I will have to start running a new version 3800.

http://www.battlepack.com/testimages/IB3800vsGP3700.JPG
STEVE are you reffering to CHART format NEWER VERSION or CELLs when you speak of newer versions?

BTW Rec'd my matched IB38's yesturday. The numbers are incredible! Thanks Again.

The IB3800 is not the newest version on this graph, new ones arrived recently with the IB3600 that is plotted on this graph. I think you have the new version, I just graphed an older one not knowing that it could have this much impact. It may not, we will see......

thanks,

Steve

Oh man, got a big problem now....

The IB3800 cell used is an older version.

Look at the IB3600 cell I just ran, it's a new version. I will have to start running a new version 3800.

http://www.battlepack.com/testimages/IB3800vsGP3700.JPG
STEVE are you reffering to CHART format NEWER VERSION or CELLs when you speak of newer versions?

BTW Rec'd my matched IB38's yesturday. The numbers are incredible! Thanks Again.

Okay everyone I have new data. I was recently told by some F5B flyers from Europe and also another battery distributor in the US, the following.

Orion in Europe gets the top 10% of the GP3700 cells. Trinity gets some good cells outside of this 10% but keeps all of the good cells in house. I think this proven by the fact that the cases of cells arrive with info removed for the boxes. This is why I have never seen a single cell over 1.189 at 30 amps. You cannot get good GP3700 cells in the USA.

At first I had some reservation until I was showed this image....

So, I have dropped the GP3700 data from the graph.

http://www.battlepack.com/testimages/IB3800.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't believe everything you read. How do we know what their process is for testing cells? The only way I would believe this would be to have you test some of those Orion cells on your matcher.

I sent some cells to him several times, he has TM4's. Simple facts.

thanks,

Steve

Don't believe everything you read. How do we know what their process is for testing cells? The only way I would believe this would be to have you test some of those Orion cells on your matcher.

Steve

I am not sure I understand the reasons for dropping the GP3700s from the testing. If the GP cells sent to the US are not great for voltage or IR, then the testing will show it. That is not a problem, as you have clarified that the top 10% of cells are already taken by large mfgs.

You never know how the GP cells will do unless you keep them in the test cycle.

As I understand it, the purpose of the cycle testing was to compare the GP and IB cells over 40 cycles of hard use. By dropping the GP testing, the work seems less meaningful. I have heard stories of the GP3700 not holding up well over 1 season of FE use, so I was very interested to see if the IBs would hold up bettter after 40 cycles.

Does it not make sense to keep the GP3700s in the test, even if they are not the best cells. Then the reader can compare the long term performance of these different cells.

Thanks RvE

Last edited by a moderator:
None of these single cells are going to run 40 cycles at 80 contant amps. Boats do not run 80 constant amps for the entire discarge and it makes a huge difference when it's not constant. The GP3700 cell already dropped off at 4 cycles and I did not feel that it was fair to post it against the IB3800 cell. The GP3700 cell as the best one that we had, 1.18+ at 30 amps. The IB3800 cell was a 1.2+ at 30 amps. I was also doing this test for some F5B flyers and the Europeans were going ape on the E-zone forum. I however do have the GP3700 data, I have not lost it.

I think what we really need would be a simulation run for 60 seconds for sprint or a 4 min simulation run offshore. My equipment can only do constant.

Any ideas are welcome....

thanks,

Steve

Steve

I am not sure I understand the reasons for dropping the GP3700s from the testing. If the GP cells sent to the US are not great for voltage or IR, then the testing will show it. That is not a problem, as you have clarified that the top 10% of cells are already taken by large mfgs.

You never know how the GP cells will do unless you keep them in the test cycle.

As I understand it, the purpose of the cycle testing was to compare the GP and IB cells over 40 cycles of hard use. By dropping the GP testing, the work seems less meaningful. I have heard stories of the GP3700 not holding up well over 1 season of FE use, so I was very interested to see if the IBs would hold up bettter after 40 cycles.

Does it not make sense to keep the GP3700s in the test, even if they are not the best cells. Then the reader can compare the long term performance of these different cells.

Thanks RvE

Back