67/80 riggers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClayGlover

Guys, a while back I was at a race and saw that some of the indy crapshooter guys were running 67's and then swapping out the motors with 80's in the same CS hull for oval racing. My question is, other than the fuel tank size, can a 67 size sgx or roadrunner for example, race competetively with a 80/84 size engine in it without major handling problems? I want to race in both the 60 class and X(F) class with the same hull (or an 80 size hull with a 67 the other way around) by swapping engines. Any feedback is much appreciated.

-clay

Last edited by a moderator:
ClayGlover said:
Guys, a while back I was at a race and saw that some of the indy crapshooter guys were running 67's and then swapping out the motors with 80's in the same CS hull for oval racing.  My question is, other than the fuel tank size, can a 67 size sgx or roadrunner for example, race competetively with a 80/84 size engine in it without major handling problems?  I want to race in both the 60 class and X(F) class with the same hull (or an 80 size hull with a 67 the other way around) by swapping engines.  Any feedback is much appreciated.
-clay

113920[/snapback]

Should be no problem, it's common. The 80's & 90's will use more fuel, so

throw in on clock might have to be thought out.

Clay,

Stu Barr does it all of the time with no problem and he is not the only one either. I did not notice if he changed tanks. Mark is quite correct as clock management becomes more critical due to fuel consumption. I have done it myself. It is easy with the MAC motors. The 67 and 84 are essentially the same except for the bore and piston/cyl size. Everything else is identical. Even the shaft would be the same. Other engine mfg's may be a little more challenging but it can be done relatively easily.

John

Back