3rd channel in a .12 rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gooycheese

Chat Moderator
Hi All,

I am just looking for different ideas on how to mount a 3rd channel needle in a jae .12 . Yes I understand you will have very little adjustment.... is that little bit just too much all together? I have always wanted to try a third channel on a .12..... hate when the boat wont get on the pipe cuz its a click too rich.

if ya got pics that would help alot.

Thank You,

Paul

Im thinking of trying 3rd channel on water flow instead.once carb needle is set flow meter spot on most times. Maybe control water flow for heat.not fuel

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ken, 3rd channel can be tricky if used right it is a great asset. Here is a vid of my 21 running and you an hear it change.

I also like to richen the needle at the end of the run.

I would never run a boat without a 3rd channel needle. on the smaller engines 12-21 I like to run them on the carb. But a base mounted to the tub close to the radio box bulkhead works great on all sizes as well. OS needle on everything for me.

Marty (hammerhead) turned me on to this. His might be a bit different but I had a hard time finding a arm for it but it works great on my third channel.

As always just creep in on the needle. Oh and just mounts through the tub.

Screenshot_2015-05-17-20-38-29.png

A couple of us were discussing 3rd channel needles on 12 boats today. Anyone have photos of them mounted on 12 hydros?

i remember the old days of no remote needles LOL!! would be like going back to screws and silicone on the radio box lids vs tape now.. absolutely no way would i NOT have one. gotta find he room cheese..

Hi All,

I am just looking for different ideas on how to mount a 3rd channel needle in a jae .12 . Yes I understand you will have very little adjustment.... is that little bit just too much all together? I have always wanted to try a third channel on a .12..... hate when the boat wont get on the pipe cuz its a click too rich.

if ya got pics that would help alot.

Thank You,

Paul
I'm sure David P can help you with a carb mounted 3 rd channel. He did a k&b Red carb with an OS needle for me that was great.

Hi Ken, 3rd channel can be tricky if used right it is a great asset. Here is a vid of my 21 running and you an hear it change.

nice run

I have a 3 channel wheel set to try i have always used dual stick radios i can see that 3 channel wheel setup is next.to try carb mixing or water flow or pipe adjustment

Rene,

That pipe, propeller, and Punch Fuel are looking good on that stock OPS-21

inboard motor. That thing must be going 75 MPH in that video. Your mixture

control is working well, are you using one from Rody Roem?

That ABC propeller is starting to break that engine in quite well?

Looking Good Rene,

Mark Sholund

Thanks Mark we are getting there, And Thanks for all your help with props and pipes to get me there. I am using a Don F base with OS needle. The Punch fuel is working well also..

Rene

Coolbean I got with Don F his fixing me up

How bout some pics like Paul asking on this thread.

Here ya go. Much shorter than any other combo. So far works great,,, just had a hard time finding a servo arm..... Also found the needle for 17$ I believe at my lhs!!!

IMAG3052.jpg

Kevin, do you remember the brand/size of of the servo arm?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris I actually got them from a member on here. So I don't know what or where they came from I can send you a picture or ask here if anybody has a name for them. I can also measure them up for you when I get some time.

The only ones I found cost over 20$ after shipping but there has to be something cheaper around.

I'll start a new thread tomorrow and ask around cause I need a couple more and would be nice to find a source

I was just going to try and order a needle and arm at the same time (if I can even purchase them both from the same place), not in a huge hurry, just wanted to try and only pay shipping once.

Boaters,

The perry needle valve works great.

I believe tower carries them.

Nice and compact.

They work very well.

Most don't set up a third channel right

In the first place. The best way is to find a good

Baseline number and set that for your lean setting

The rest of the needle you set to a richer setting.

You do not want to burn up a plug on a lean needle

And not finish a race.

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

Back