3 channel X-mitter

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chargerrc

I am trying to decide wich 3 channel X-mitter to buy. What model works best with the third channel needle. I would prefer not to take my hand off the wheel to make the adjustment. Anybody have any advice or preferences? <_<

I use the Futaba 3PK. It is really simple to set up the third channel per your choice of location on the transmitter.

Take a look at photo attached.

You can put the third channel on any one of the digital trim locations you wish, plus, it is easy to do, even without the manual.

I think it is best either to put in on either side of the wheel. You can use you finger or thumb to adjust as your driving without removing your hand from the transmitter.

Any questions, let me know, be glad to help.

Have fun!

Rw

I am trying to decide wich 3 channel X-mitter to buy. What model works best with the third channel needle. I would prefer not to take my hand off the wheel to make the adjustment. Anybody have any advice or preferences? <_<
futj2900_main_2.jpg

I do mine the same way, it's on the thumb wheel below the steering wheel. <_<

I find analog trim (a wheel) easier to use than digital trims. My JR R-1 radio has digital trim and I have no idea of position of the needle, only whether I'm leaning or richening the mixture. My older JR has a wheel that I marked so I can tell the position of the needle by the position of the wheel. Few newer wheel radios have analog third channel settings, but most stick radios derived from aircraft radios do.

Lohring Miller

I find analog trim (a wheel) easier to use than digital trims.
Complete agreement. I've got a 3PDF and a 3PJS. The PDF has a digital trim switch for the 3rd channel and the PJS has a dial knob. I much prefer the knob. In addition to being easier to tell where it is, it's much faster for those times you need to make big changes.

Complete agreement. I've got a 3PDF and a 3PJS. The PDF has a digital trim switch for the 3rd channel and the PJS has a dial knob. I much prefer the knob. In addition to being easier to tell where it is, it's much faster for those times you need to make big changes.
The digital trim can be set exponintually to increase the amount of movement between each click. At this point you really have no choice but digital because none of the new 3 channel radios offer an analog trim.

The digital trim can be set exponintually to increase the amount of movement between each click. At this point you really have no choice but digital because none of the new 3 channel radios offer an analog trim.
I guess I need to take really good care of the 3PJS then. :)

I guess I need to take really good care of the 3PJS then. :)
I like the knob for the same reason. It usually seems to work out the same as the actual turning of a needle (1/8 turn = 1/8 turn). Take care of those 3PJs and collect a few extra.

It does appear digital is the only way to go I have been considering 1 of these 3 Radios- JR XR3i FM, Futaba 3PM-FM, Hitec Aggressor CRX 3-channel FM. Out of the discriptions for the Futaba and JR radios it is hard to tell if the third channel is linear or just an on off switch. The 3 PK is just out of the budget right now.

:(

It does appear digital is the only way to go I have been considering 1 of these 3 Radios- JR XR3i FM, Futaba 3PM-FM, Hitec Aggressor CRX 3-channel FM. Out of the discriptions for the Futaba and JR radios it is hard to tell if the third channel is linear or just an on off switch. The 3 PK is just out of the budget right now.

Hmm strange you don't have the Airtronics M-11 listed

I have the JR and it is linear.

Haven't used the 3rd channel yet but so far I like it.

Hmm strange you don't have the Airtronics M-11 listed
Airtronics M11 also out of the price range and also not available @lhs. If I spend $175 at the lhs the wife would never know, but if I put $300 on the card Oh man I gotta hear all that crap about how much I spend on my hobbies. This is probably what keeps the LHS's in buisness, unknowing spouses.

I use the 3PM with a third channel needle. I just reassigned the third channel from it's default two position switch to one of the thumb switches on the handle. Reassigning is easy enough and in the instructions. The switches on the handle move just like the steering and throttle trim switches. This allows you to actuate the third channel with your thumb using the same motion as you would a digital trim switch. You can also set how much the servo travels for each "click" or bump of the switch left or right, or in this case, lean or rich. Each time you bump the switch left or right the LCD screen will display the servo position in percent (%) of travel to left or right (+%,-%). Holding the switch to one side or another, of course, gives continuous motion in that direction. Taking note of the different servo position percents allows you to return to a previous needle setting which can be handy when testing different pipes, props, etc. and also can alert you to a forthcoming problem when you see that the needle has to be excessively rich or lean to run correctly. Maybe not the best way but it works well for me. Can't speak about the other radios you've chosen as I haven't tried them. Hope this helps.

I have the Hitec CRX aggresor and the 3rd channel is a thumb switch not a wheel. The wheel is a dual rate wheel for the steering. It is an ok radio but I have a JR xs3 on the way. I have had nothing but problems with almost all the products from Hitec/multiplex that I have had the misfortune of owning

Doug

concur with LH7018 have one of the 3PM and a couple of the 3PDF's 3PDF's were replaced by the 3PM. you can set them both up to utilize basically any of the trims, switches on the radio, I have set mine to be the top thumb switch on the handle, you can work the throttle, steering and the 3rd channel without taking your hand off any of them.

I do find the older 3PDF easier to program, but with the manual, and a little practice the newer radio will become old hat.

the best part is, the new 3PM without servos is still around $120.00.

The 3pm-fs i think is the model number, is a crystal-less transmitter you just program in any channel in the 75 MEG frequency band, I think the price is around $130.00

for the price you can't go wrong

rick

I use the 3PM with a third channel needle. I just reassigned the third channel from it's default two position switch to one of the thumb switches on the handle. Reassigning is easy enough and in the instructions. The switches on the handle move just like the steering and throttle trim switches. This allows you to actuate the third channel with your thumb using the same motion as you would a digital trim switch. You can also set how much the servo travels for each "click" or bump of the switch left or right, or in this case, lean or rich. Each time you bump the switch left or right the LCD screen will display the servo position in percent (%) of travel to left or right (+%,-%). Holding the switch to one side or another, of course, gives continuous motion in that direction. Taking note of the different servo position percents allows you to return to a previous needle setting which can be handy when testing different pipes, props, etc. and also can alert you to a forthcoming problem when you see that the needle has to be excessively rich or lean to run correctly. Maybe not the best way but it works well for me. Can't speak about the other radios you've chosen as I haven't tried them. Hope this helps.

You'll hate the 3rd channel on the JR's. I've got an older XR-3 and the thing is so slow that it's not funny. I got so frustrated with it that I pulled the servo out and only use the 2 channels.

I'm now messing with the Hi-tec Ranger III, it's a stick radio on FM and a fast 3rd channel lever on the upper right-hand corner. I really wanted the knob style on the left side.

OH Great !!!!! All I have are Hitec ; SRX (synt..) , and 3 Aggressores .... 2 more SRX's as soon as in stock.......

Makes me scratch my head alot that SRX 'puter one !!!!

The only problems I have had is wires being bunched up in tight boxes and using cheap off brand servos !!!! Both are big no no's !!!!

Thanks for all the input, now maybe I can make an educated decision. I am leaning towards the Futaba 3PM

Back