.21 outboard riggers?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfredo colon

curiosity strikes me, are there any 21OB riggers out there? I recalled my dad's rigger we ran back in the early 80's.

Having owned a DPI 21 tunnel, pvc seems like an interesting option for a rigger. Would it be a viable option putting together a rigger with pvc? any pros/cons. Could it hold together in heat racing pressure?

A bit bout myself; I ran boats from 89-01 in a few clases, 21opc, 21 cats, 21 riggers, x hydro, and twin rigger. Took a decade long break, now am a vfx & motion graphics designer with experience in architectural drafting, general 3D and animation, videography, post production, and web development. I'm currently a p.o.p. graphic designer at a marketing firm, and have access to pvc planks, and large scale vinyl printers/cutters.

Oh, and I'm inclined on purchasing a 21 JAE some time in the near future :ph34r:

they are still out there...i just recently sold a spifire,,,robin on here has a sundowner...nobody has produced one in a very very long time...but they do still exist...

alden

sundowner kits are available from joe monahon at 707 specialities. i have a NIB prather spitfire 1 (3.5) kit i would sell........

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wondering after reading about this idea on an other thread, would the ski make much difference? I aligned the prop where it would have been using an inboard engine, what about the boats cg? has anyone thought of or tried this?

jae21g-ob.jpg

alfredo, i think the ski is needed to support the tail weight of an ob. may even have to be widened a bit..... CG should be kept the same as an inboard jae. that is another of my winter projects B) .

I've had one that I've been working on for two years,haven't finished it yet ,but I did put ob 21 on a roadrunner and it run real good better than the spitfire or sundowner,

Shane

I've had one that I've been working on for two years,haven't finished it yet ,but I did put ob 21 on a roadrunner and it run real good better than the spitfire or sundowner,

Shane
so basically any 21 sized rigger with 4-5 degree aoa front sponsons should technically work?

I can;t take my mind off the little details like the cg the boat should have, radio box distribution, gas tank location, or even turn fin - taking into consideration the engine/prop pivot instead of a fixed prop angle

shane, did you make any significant alterations to the RR transom?

Shane
so basically any 21 sized rigger with 4-5 degree aoa front sponsons should technically work?

I can;t take my mind off the little details like the cg the boat should have, radio box distribution, gas tank location, or even turn fin - taking into consideration the engine/prop pivot instead of a fixed prop angle

shane, did you make any significant alterations to the RR transom?
I put the radio box in the engine bay I left the tank at the front and put hopper tank at the back ,filled the tub at the back with foam for floatation and used captan Vic motor mount,

John Oian designed a .21 OB rigger called Phoenix, in the late 70. He had an construction article in Model Airplane News followed up by several tuning articles. The boat was run with the only choice in those days, the 1. Gen. K&B with the short skeg. (had to use a separate rudder). Very fast, held several NAMBA records. It was reported to do some 50+ MPH.

Just imagine what it could obtain with todays powerful outboards.

Drawing is still awailable from Air Age plan service.

If any interest I think I can supply copies of the MAN articles.

I use adjustable car links to hold the outboard & turn it with a rudder...Works Great! Good Posting!

Latest posts

Back