2009 World OB Tunnel Championships

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topfuel443

Vendor
To all: As promised, the race flayer for the 2009 World OB Tunnel Championships is now available, and we are accepting entries.

Please click HERE for the race flyer

Guys, I am reviving a thread that was started by John Knight a few months ago. The below passage was his opening message, and 95% of the info is still as it is written. We have been discussing a few changes with classes, such as the deletion of "open" and the possible addition of FE, but nothing is in stone yet. The Charleston Model Boaters has just finished with a very succesful Fall National race last weekend, so the time is now to start the ball rolling in prparation for 2009 Tunnel Worlds. John knight has requested to have very little to do with the mechanics of this race, as it is an extremely stressful process especially when much of the load has been placed squarly on his shoulders in the past. A Huge thanks to John for doing tons of behind the scenes work, that only those who have created such an event could possibly begin to understand. You have without a doubt earned the right to take a break, and then some. The CMB Fall Nationals was pretty much headed up by John along with the CMB members, and the 2009 World Tunnel Champs will be headed up by me, James Clegg along with a few tunnel heads, Don Gilbert, Rick Glover, Deryl Nesbitt, and the rest of the CMB club. We have been improving this race for the past 4 years, and we have every intention of continuing in this direction. With the almost unanimous decision (By the RACERS, not just CMB) to make this into a 2.5 day race instead of only 2 dyas, life will be much easier for all.

I am currently getting my punch list together, working on the race flyer, sponsorship, and the endless list of logistical nightmares a race of this size can produce. If you have any specific questions, THIS THREAD is the place to ask them. As mentioned below, many things are still in discussion, and we are always open to suggestions.

PLEASE READ: I have highlighted a few important points

For those that attended the Charleston Model Boaters 2008 World OB Tunnel Championships in Charleston, SC in late March 2008, we asked all to complete a survey of the race, date and format. After taking all of those survey comments, e mails and personal converstations into consideration, the CMB club had decided to make a change for 2009 for the betterment of the race. Those changes are: 

DATES: May 1st, 2nd and 3rd, 2009.

FORMAT: Race starts on FRIDAY at 1200 noon with Round 1. Rounds 2 & 3 on Saturday. Round 4 on Sunday with the A/B mains and finals. This is now a 2 1/2 day race to ensure that we get in all 4 rounds.

BOAT LIMIT: Remains at 250 with fill-ins as needed.

OPEN WATER: All day Thursday and Friday from 8 until 11:30. Driver's meeting at 11:45 and racing starts at noon. Over 85% of the racers were in by Thursday afternoon for the 2008 race. So this should not impact greatly many racers.

Race flyer expected to be released in January 1, 2009.

These changes have been made for several reasons, after much consideration and discussion, with racers and CMB club members. Reasons are:

1. There are many racers that come from the frozen north of MIN, WIS, MICH, OH, IND, ILL, MA, IA, NY, Canada, etc. Those racers often have to travel through very poor weather to race in late March. Some did not get there this past March due to the poor weather in their area. Moving the race back in the calendar will alleviate many of those challenges.

2. The same racers do not have the opportunity to test any of their boats due to hard water in their area. The racers in the warmer climates have a distinct advantage with test opportunities. The race will be more of a fair competition for all racers.

3. The weather front that came in threw us a major curve on Saturday afternoon and the race progress went to a crawl and resulted in round 4 being eliminated. Now with the race being a 2 1/2 day race, the pace will be more reasonable and will give us some cushion as well. The goal is to complete the race and activities by 2-3 pm on Sunday to allow for a reasonable departure time. The weather here in Charleston is much more pleasant and warmer in early May than in late March. Other than a thunderstorm possibility, the weather should be more suitable for a race of this caliper.

We are aware that moving the race into early May could potentially impact some district races in your area. We hope that some sliding of the race schedules can be made to allow racers to come without impacting their district race standings. That is why the announcement is being made now, early in the 2008 schedule.

Special note: A request has been made for an FE tunnel class for 2009. We tried that in 2007 and had to be cancelled due to lack of entries. So an early call for a response to see how many could attend and enter a FE tunnel in that class for the 2009 race. We have plenty of time, 6 months, to gauge the interest in that class before we release the race entry flyer. So let us know so we can reasonably prepare for it, if needed. As a reminder, the Open tunnel class is open to all entries, any type power and size. So a FE can run in that class and the Open class as well. Can use a different boat too.

One last item. The wooded area from the pit setup area down past buoys 4/5/6 will be thinned out for another 300-500' to be like the cleared area now. This will at least double the set up area for canopies & trailers. It will also substantially increase the vehicle parking area too. Additional PA speakers will be installed.
Thanks, James Clegg and the Charleston Model Boaters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey James,

Great to hear you and the other CMBers are picking up the ball. Indeed, John Knight has done a terrific job. Since any boat that runs in Open Tunnel could run in one of the other classes, I don't see the need for this class. A FE Tunnel Class that has proven very popular out our way is 14v Spec Tunnel with motors from either the SV 27 BL or ProBoat Blackjack BL as the spec motor. The guys out here are running LiPos and the boats are running very close to 20 Stock Tunnel speeds.

JD

Hey James,
Great to hear you and the other CMBers are picking up the ball. Indeed, John Knight has done a terrific job. Since any boat that runs in Open Tunnel could run in one of the other classes, I don't see the need for this class. A FE Tunnel Class that has proven very popular out our way is 14v Spec Tunnel with motors from either the SV 27 BL or ProBoat Blackjack BL as the spec motor. The guys out here are running LiPos and the boats are running very close to 20 Stock Tunnel speeds.

JD

Jerry,

The decision was essentially made to eliminate the Open class and hopefully put in an FE. What we need is the proper name for the class, with the class requirements and limits for it. How many lipos, or other battery choices can be used? It must have the class rules defined for the race flyer. Need help with it.

John

I thought open class wasn't canceled yet ?

start friday morning u can have fe and open

shane

Don't you get enough run-time yet Shane? How many classes this year?

Cheers

Kris

Guys, I am reviving a thread that was started by John Knight a few months ago. The below passage was his opening message, and 95% of the info is still as it is written. We have been discussing a few changes with classes, such as the deletion of "open" and the possible addition of FE, but nothing is in stone yet. The Charleston Model Boaters has just finished with a very succesful Fall National race last weekend, so the time is now to start the ball rolling in prparation for 2009 Tunnel Worlds. John knight has requested to have very little to do with the mechanics of this race, as it is an extremely stressful process especially when much of the load has been placed squarly on his shoulders in the past. A Huge thanks to John for doing tons of behind the scenes work, that only those who have created such an event could possibly begin to understand. You have without a doubt earned the right to take a break, and then some. The CMB Fall Nationals was pretty much headed up by John along with the CMB members, and the 2009 World Tunnel Champs will be headed up by me, James Clegg along with a few tunnel heads, Don Gilbert, Rick Glover, Deryl Nesbitt, and the rest of the CMB club. We have been improving this race for the past 4 years, and we have every intention of continuing in this direction. With the almost unanimous decision (By the RACERS, not just CMB) to make this into a 2.5 day race instead of only 2 dyas, life will be much easier for all.
I am currently getting my punch list together, working on the race flyer, sponsorship, and the endless list of logistical nightmares a race of this size can produce. If you have any specific questions, THIS THREAD is the place to ask them. As mentioned below, many things are still in discussion, and we are always open to suggestions.

PLEASE READ: I have highlighted a few important points

For those that attended the Charleston Model Boaters 2008 World OB Tunnel Championships in Charleston, SC in late March 2008, we asked all to complete a survey of the race, date and format. After taking all of those survey comments, e mails and personal converstations into consideration, the CMB club had decided to make a change for 2009 for the betterment of the race. Those changes are: 

DATES: May 1st, 2nd and 3rd, 2009.

FORMAT: Race starts on FRIDAY at 1200 noon with Round 1. Rounds 2 & 3 on Saturday. Round 4 on Sunday with the A/B mains and finals. This is now a 2 1/2 day race to ensure that we get in all 4 rounds.

BOAT LIMIT: Remains at 250 with fill-ins as needed.

OPEN WATER: All day Thursday and Friday from 8 until 11:30. Driver's meeting at 11:45 and racing starts at noon. Over 85% of the racers were in by Thursday afternoon for the 2008 race. So this should not impact greatly many racers.

Race flyer expected to be released in January 1, 2009.

These changes have been made for several reasons, after much consideration and discussion, with racers and CMB club members. Reasons are:

1. There are many racers that come from the frozen north of MIN, WIS, MICH, OH, IND, ILL, MA, IA, NY, Canada, etc. Those racers often have to travel through very poor weather to race in late March. Some did not get there this past March due to the poor weather in their area. Moving the race back in the calendar will alleviate many of those challenges.

2. The same racers do not have the opportunity to test any of their boats due to hard water in their area. The racers in the warmer climates have a distinct advantage with test opportunities. The race will be more of a fair competition for all racers.

3. The weather front that came in threw us a major curve on Saturday afternoon and the race progress went to a crawl and resulted in round 4 being eliminated. Now with the race being a 2 1/2 day race, the pace will be more reasonable and will give us some cushion as well. The goal is to complete the race and activities by 2-3 pm on Sunday to allow for a reasonable departure time. The weather here in Charleston is much more pleasant and warmer in early May than in late March. Other than a thunderstorm possibility, the weather should be more suitable for a race of this caliper.

We are aware that moving the race into early May could potentially impact some district races in your area. We hope that some sliding of the race schedules can be made to allow racers to come without impacting their district race standings. That is why the announcement is being made now, early in the 2008 schedule.

Special note: A request has been made for an FE tunnel class for 2009. We tried that in 2007 and had to be cancelled due to lack of entries. So an early call for a response to see how many could attend and enter a FE tunnel in that class for the 2009 race. We have plenty of time, 6 months, to gauge the interest in that class before we release the race entry flyer. So let us know so we can reasonably prepare for it, if needed. As a reminder, the Open tunnel class is open to all entries, any type power and size. So a FE can run in that class and the Open class as well. Can use a different boat too.

One last item. The wooded area from the pit setup area down past buoys 4/5/6 will be thinned out for another 300-500' to be like the cleared area now. This will at least double the set up area for canopies & trailers. It will also substantially increase the vehicle parking area too. Additional PA speakers will be installed.
Thanks, James Clegg and the Charleston Model Boaters.
Gabe, clear your inbox...... Randy

The thing that I do not understand is why drop a class that ran 2 heats each round and add a class that did not have enough to make a class. Maby this adds up with new math. See Ya Jimmy

Jerry, thanks for the emails, I will wait to hear from Darin and we can go from there. Thanks for you the help on this from both of you. We would like to see it happen, but will definitely be needing a little guidance, and most of all, some participation from FE boaters.

The Open class has been canceled. This is direct from the majority of racers from the 07 race. It makes sense to the club as well since the open class has been redundant in its entries. There were hardly any boats that ran in ONLY the open class and no other class. With the turn out we have in all of the other classes, there is no reason to keep this class as it just slows down the day. No new math per-se, just the majority rule.

Randy, we need to talk. I cleared out my inbox. Shoot me a Pm with your thoughts, I can give you a call if you give me your number.

Shane, sorry I missed your call last night, we had already turned in for bed. (yeah, we are getting old).

~Gabe

I'll cast my vote for an Open FE class...run what you brung so that specification compliance does not become an issue.

I hope we do see an FE class this year and as for "open" it doesn't merit being a rerun for the most part of D tunnel. Maybe an E/F class would represent tunnels better since this race is the premier tunnel event of the season. What about making a legitimate sport D class and use national rather than local rules. Charleston has been a trend setter for us tunnel heads and whatever format arises we will be there to support it.

Mic Halbrehder

I hope we do see an FE class this year and as for "open" it doesn't merit being a rerun for the most part of D tunnel. Maybe an E/F class would represent tunnels better since this race is the premier tunnel event of the season. What about making a legitimate sport D class and use national rather than local rules. Charleston has been a trend setter for us tunnel heads and whatever format arises we will be there to support it. Mic Halbrehder

Mic,

We have had an E/F class every tunnel champs race. It is intended to continue with it. I'll let James deal with the Sport D class as he and Don Gilbert were the creators of it for this race.

John

The decision was essentially made to eliminate the Open class and hopefully put in an FE. What we need is the proper name for the class, with the class requirements and limits for it. How many lipos, or other battery choices can be used? It must have the class rules defined for the race flyer. Need help with it.
John
That would be a "P"(8.4 to 14.8v, Nicd, NiMh sub Cs, A123s or LiPo) Spec OB Tunnel max length 34" if the new rules pass. If they don't, the lenght limit goes away.

Herb Stewart and I agree that the SV or BJ power systems would be the way to go in Dist. 13.

Hope this helps,

Doug

James Beasley responding - I support keeping Sport D, and E/F Tunnel classes, as well as having an Open FE class. I agree with Chris Wittrig in that the FE class should be "run what you brung". I will field an FE boat in 09 if the class is available. Dropping the Open Tunnel class is a dissapointment but it is a done deal so that's that. If I were Tunnel King for a day I would simply have added the FE boats into the Nitro Open Class, that would allow the electric boat drivers an opportunity to measure up against the nitro boats and would still allow a class for "other" creations like twins, big blocks, customs, etc. I look forward to the 09 event no matter what classes we wind up with. Thanks for supporting the world's premier tunnel race! see ya, James

Those Aquacraft setups will push them along nicely, will it be limited to 1P?

At least my new design still fits into the length limit :)

Shane, I would LOVE to come along and mix my honeymoon with a boat race, but the bloody Aus-US Dollar has crashed so it looks like it will cost to much...

Maybe an E/F class would represent tunnels better since this race is the premier tunnel event of the season. What about making a legitimate sport D class and use national rather than local rules.
Mic, just to reiterate what John said, we have had a E/F class since the first race, and it has continued to grow every year, so it will definitely be back next year.

As for your 2nd reccomendation for sport D, can you clarify what you mean? There is no such class as "Sport D Tunnel" in IMPBA, so our local rules (at this point) are the only rules. We came up with the class back when the Sport 20 tunnel was booming (of course it still is) in hopes of attracting a new class of boats, and with our"rules" (no tuned pipes) we have created an "45 outlaw sport" class if you will. Very simple rules, and easy to police. The class has grown quite nicely since the first time we ran it, and often has some pretty unique set-ups in the field (CMB conversions running K&B mufflers, twin OSXM powered hulls, etc. etc.) We have had one or two requests to make the rules mirror the IMPBA sport 20 tunnel rules with the only change being displacement, but at this point we (CMB) feel that the class is heading in the direction in which we initially intended it to. Doing that would also severly limit the class down to ONLY running K&B engines, as they are the only ones who produce (I use that term lightly since they are not currently avail.) a ready to run complete engine.

Were you refering to the NAMBA style "B OPC" rules maybe?

We certainly have enjoyed having you and Jay at all of our races, and know that you will be back to run with us as you said, regardless of a few changes. We appreciate it!!

James Beasley responding - I support keeping Sport D, and E/F Tunnel classes, as well as having an Open FE class. I agree with Chris Wittrig in that the FE class should be "run what you brung". I will field an FE boat in 09 if the class is available. Dropping the Open Tunnel class is a dissapointment but it is a done deal so that's that. If I were Tunnel King for a day I would simply have added the FE boats into the Nitro Open Class, that would allow the electric boat drivers an opportunity to measure up against the nitro boats and would still allow a class for "other" creations like twins, big blocks, customs, etc. I look forward to the 09 event no matter what classes we wind up with. Thanks for supporting the world's premier tunnel race! see ya, James
Thanks for your input James, we do listen to everything you guys say as it has helped mold our race into the premiere event it has become. We never had any intention of getting rid of sport D or E/F tunnel, so those are good to go as long as we continue to see participation. We have tried Open FE in the past with little to no interest. Had a few guys talking big, but I think I was the only one to show up with an FE boat that year, so the class got cancelled. We also had the mindset (in agreeing with Chris W.) that an "open FE" class would be best at that time, as it would allow the class to grow and expand without over policing it before it ever took off. It just didnt go.

We have also always allowed any boat (power type) to run in the "Open Tunnel" class (not NITRO Open Tunnel), as we knew this was another outlet for an FE'er to possibly get some more pond time. This was also the idea for the big Gas boats before there were enough of them for their own class as they are now (although barely).

Weve had a few recent requests to bring back the "Open Tunnel Class:

To all, lets say for conversation sake we have an Open FE class. Is there any boat you can think of that would still NEED to have the regular "Open Tunnel" class just to participate? Meaning, is there a boat with any configuration that you can think of that does not already fit into a class we already have? I cant think of any, but maybe you guys can. Aside from someone building a monster gas boat with twin zenoahs, or a mathe 45 on the back, I simply cant think of anything. Remember, this is assuming we are offering a Open FE class.

We do want to offer FE, and we would love to see the class take off. BUT, we need to have a majority agreement on what class to run. Should we run Open FE and let the class grow, or should we run a sort of spec class and limit it to a specific set of running gear? Perhaps I should set up a poll to see what the consensus is? (this could probably work actually, but what should the poll options be? some one help me out here...)

For you FE guys, now is the time to campaign for what you want to have. If you have FE buddies who are not IW regulars, tell them log on and voice their opinions! I know Rum Runers or the like probably has a much larger following of FE tunnel guys, but it is much eaiser to keep this discussion contained on one board. Since we started this on IW, thats where I would like to keep it.

Thanks, ~James

My preference is the Spec Class Tunnel rather than open tunnel. Motors and ESC are more affordable and readily available. With the amount time before the 09 event, there's adequate opportunity for anyone interested to assemble the needed components. The Northwest has one of the largest groups of FE races and the Spec Tunnel Class has become very popular.

JD

I hear you JD, and agree whole heartedly on a personal level, but from a race coordinator p.o.v., how many of those PNW's are going to making the trek across country to race with us southern folk? I know you, Mikey, Ritchie, and a few others are crazy enough to do it, but who else?

~James

I hear you JD, and agree whole heartedly on a personal level, but from a race coordinator p.o.v., how many of those PNW's are going to making the trek across country to race with us southern folk? I know you, Mikey, Ritchie, and a few others are crazy enough to do it, but who else?
~James
My reason for mentioning the Spec Class in the NW was intended to show the popularity of the class. If there's more interest in an Open FE Tunnel Class, well I can accept that.

JD

Latest posts

Back