1992 U-8 The Tide 8808

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Schindler

I am building my first scale, its a 1992 Tide.

I would like to share some of the facts I gathered and some of the design concepts I have tried in this build.

First off, my approach has been to use the following major components:

ML Boatworks 8808 framing kit.

RCBoatcompany.com canopy and cowling

Phil Thomas Jones wing verticals

Joe Moceri Horizontal wing

The rest of the details were scaled and shaped using photos I got from Bob Johnson (dasboatman). I found that I have used he photos more than anything to get the details worked out. Thanks Bob!

The framing kit went together remarkably well! I used the pictures to figure out how to mount the sponson transoms as shown.

IMAG0665.jpgIMAG0668.jpg

Then I put a 3/32 bottom on the boat. I checked the engine placement and drew in some centerlines. I then mocked up the canopy and cowling. I drew a curve tracing the countour of the canopy on the center frames and cut the frames down to fit.

IMAG0671.jpgIMAG0670.jpg

I then moved on to building the front spar, which will be covered in my next post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Phase 2: The Wings

I wanted to have active canards on this boat, so I spent a lot of time coming up with a system to A: have active canards and B: be able to assemble and disassemble the canards.

I came up with this solution.

1. Cut a 3/8 half round in the backside of the front spar before mounting it. Place holes in the inner frames and inner sponson sides at the center of that arc.IMAG0782.jpg

2. Make a 5/16 half round in the front of the canard wings and glue a 9/32 brass tube into the groove. Make a 1/4 teflon stand off with a #6-32 screw just long enough that a wrench will fit in the tub, and still engage the screw when seated.

IMAG0780.jpgIMAG0779.jpgIMAG0778.jpgIMAG0776.jpgIMAG0777.jpg

3. Insert a carbon rod from the inside into the other half of the canard wing. Slide a peice of 9/32 brass over the rods and clamp with shaft collars to create one solid axel. Cross drill the brass with carbon inside and pin with (2) 2-56 screws.

IMAG0775.jpgIMAG0774.jpgIMAG0769.jpgIMAG0773.jpg

Video of the canards in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwvkNfwFE5c&feature=youtu.be

For the rear wings I wanted to try something new. I saw this system on a boat a club member bought off ebay, and I tweaked it to make use of the materials I could find. The idea is to use 2 ballcups and ball studs on each vertical wing to eliminate all but one degree of freedom. The wings are hard to pop off the ballstuds, but in the case of a collision, they can easily detach from the boat as they are folded over. The hard part was attaching the ball cups to the wings. I put them on a length of allthread and glued them into the bottom of the wings with some supports extending into the meat of the upright. I was worried the holding force of the ball joint wouldn't be enough, but I actually had to ream the cups to tune the fit to make it EASIER to get them on and off. Like always, pictures and video should clear up what I am rambling about.

IMAG0767.jpgIMAG0766.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlLQflL68ik&feature=youtu.be

Here is what she looks like all put together!

IMAG0761.jpg

Love those canards. will you use a gyro or just trim with the 3rd channel?

hugh

Love those canards. will you use a gyro or just trim with the 3rd channel?

hugh
canards will have a dedicated servo, so I can try several different ways of using them. I think a heading hold gyro would be a great idea, but I would not think you could leave the gyro to its own devices. For one, you have to teach it the ride attitude every time you boot the reciever, which would take some kind of angle finder to determine. Also very much drift and you have a blowover. I think you would have to have a thumb on the stick at all times even with the gyro.

Well as soon as I start to see the build wrapping up, I am shipping out to chicago for 2-3 weeks so ill have a slight delay. Its gone from doubtful to near impossible to have her ready for the season opener 10 weeks from now.

jeez Jeff...super trick canards..well played :)

we have a boat in the district with same vert mounts...works very well

i abandoned newton plans for newton photos as well....lol..hoping to test sunday for race next weekend

Latest posts

Back