1972 notre dame photos

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave weagel

i'm looking for good clear photos of the 1972 Notre Dame jones picklefork hull. particularly a clear view of the small Notre Dame crest on the front cowling. trying to get an approximate size of the crest and location on the cowling.

thank you,

dave w.

[email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
U-7.jpg

NotreDameLogo.jpg

nitro,

thank you for the great photo of the '72 ND. best one i've seen yet showing the crest. not even the NEWTON 108 '72 ND paint sheet shows this crest. and im sure that you've noticed that most models omit the crest.

and very nice photo of the crest. i really appreciate your reply. i see the alan ameel drawing of the '72 in your signature photo. seems that you're a real NOTRE DAME enthusiast too.

how about another request ? do you have any photos of the '65 SHU SHU other than the EILEEN CRIMMIN / BOB CARVER photos taken at the sept '65 race in madison ? another project i've been working on.

thanks again for the '72 photos.

dave

I love my 72' Dame and it's the best looking boat in my fleet..... Well ok my Winston is smoking hot but the Dame looks so close to the real thing on the water. I'll check some sources for you.

thank you nitro.

your '72 ND must be a beauty. all of shirley mcdonald's notre dame boats were beautiful especially the light blue and white '62 - '68 boats. too bad she changed to the then popular racing stripe theme in '69. she should have retained the light blue for the stripes. at least she brought back the old english gold script lettering for the ND name in '72.

shirley mcdonald was an amazing owner. six unlimiteds totally financed without any outside funding and corporate advertising other than a few small decals on the cockpit.

her boats were the the last of the clean boats with no corporate name or clutter. granted, she was probably the richest woman in the u.s. at the time having inherited a vast fortune from her father's holdings in the fisher body division of general motors. too bad she couldn't put a winning crew and driver together. by 1969, she had best hull and equipment. lief borgensen should have won races. she had more money for her boats than bernie little but he had better team organization and the budweiser promotion department. but she should have won many more races.

the lengthy Fred Farley article and the 3 part ND article in UNJ are very interesting, in my opinion.

regarding the SHU, the question is, what did the planked mahogany deck actually look like in '65 ? the distinctive caulk lines seen on the '67 BUD are not visible in the Crimmin photos of the SHU taken in '65.

dave

nitro,

yes, it's a beauty. wood or glass ? if wood, where did you get cowling ? i have to ask, why no crest on front cowl ? thank you for posting photo.

dave

Back