1967 Snoopy. Hydroplane

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Ken, what class was the real boat running? Was it an unlimited or what? Reason I am asking is, I wonder what type motor the real boat had in it, a V-12 or V-8? Joe

Hey Ken, what class was the real boat running? Was it an unlimited or what? Reason I am asking is, I wonder what type motor the real boat had in it, a V-12 or V-8? Joe
Joe

I dont think it was modeled after a real boat just something he came up with.

Ken

Update

I have the bottom all done working out the top.

Hardware is on its way!

Haven decide full cowl or use a dumby motor yet it will be a cab over

Last edited by a moderator:
Time to fill sand and shape then apply a thin coat of epoxy an cloth over the balsa its coming in under 1 pound so far the 1/8 ply bottom is working great to stuffen the hull.

I restored this "Snoopy" that my Grandfather Ed Liddycoat built in 1976. It originally had a Veco .19 in it with a solid drive shaft. It's a cool boat but a handful with today's motors!

Have fun with it!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I restored this "Snoopy" that my Grandfather Ed Liddycoat built in 1976. It originally had a Veco .19 in it with a solid drive shaft. It's a cool boat but a handful with today's motors!

Have fun with it!
Coolbeans sir thanks for sharing what are you powering it with today.

Bradley I'm at 27 3/4" from nose to stern

I wonder what would happen if the plans were made larger? Since the boat is so lite, maybe going up to around 32" might work better with modern power plants

I wonder what would happen if the plans were made larger? Since the boat is so lite, maybe going up to around 32" might work better with modern power plants
To give it a wider stance im putting the ride surface of the sponson to the outside of each sponsons also prop nots under the hull like the original plans so the foot print on the water is larger

The parts that are balsa on top is cloth an epoxy coated .

So far the only ply is bottom outer skin on transom an top of sponsons. I epoxy n cloth reinforce the transom to the insides an bottom

Next after it drys do the same to the bottom

Ken, move EVERYTHING as far forward as possible! Otherwise, you'll have a kite on your hands that you'll have to add a lot of weight to the nose to keep it on the water.

Hope this helps

Steve Ball

Working out balance point an cowl

attachicon.gif
20151229_193024-1.jpg

Ken, move EVERYTHING as far forward as possible! Otherwise, you'll have a kite on your hands that you'll have to add a lot of weight to the nose to keep it on the water.

Hope this helps

Steve Ball

Working out balance point an cowl

attachicon.gif
20151229_193024-1.jpg
Hoping it flys but not like a kite.Its a lite build,The balance is at flywheel.Im planning on moving battery to adjust balancing point then add weight to adjust ride an strut angle plans show alot off strut angle.keep it lite was the plan add weight to balance if needed was the plan thxs for the info steve.

Ken

Ken, any chance of getting a copy of the plans? I'd love to build one just for the fun of it and see how it compares to my 30" Pak

Just came back and reread the thread and, after reading Scott's comments, I think I'll enlarge the plans a bit and build it from all aircraft ply. That will give me more strength without using FG and let me use stuff I already have.

Have been doing a little playing around and found that 112% will give me a boat that's a touch over 31" long. That brings up the next question. Scott, how did you mount that new style motor? I know you couldn't use an aircraft type firewall engine mount as shown due to the room needed for the 180 header

Back