1967 Snoopy. Hydroplane

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenOlvis

Dick Hanson on September 2, 1967, at the Marquette R-C Boat Club meet, broke the I.M.P.B.A. quarter mile oval record.an held the saw record also.Thanks to Dick Hanson he help my dad an I get started in R/C modeling.he build 2 other hulls an gave me one.In the early 70's the boat got destroyed.I found a set of prints over this winter im going to build this boat an post its progress.

He used a veco.19 top speed 55 mph

Day 1

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello

As I wait the rest of the day for the joints to cure after gluing.I know Dick Hanson used silk an airplane dope sealer over the balsa wood to make a harder finish before painting.

Any suggestion on a product to apply today.not looking to make a steel hard finish. All running surface well be thin Ply or aircraft ply.

Thank You

Ken

A few coats of epoxy resin, like West Systems, or Systems 3, brushed on, and tipped out with a foam brush should do the trick.

Steve Ball

Hello

As I wait the rest of the day for the joints to cure after gluing.I know Dick Hanson used silk an airplane dope sealer over the balsa wood to make a harder finish before painting.

Any suggestion on a product to apply today.not looking to make a steel hard finish. All running surface well be thin Ply or aircraft ply.

Thank You

Ken

A few coats of epoxy resin, like West Systems, or Systems 3, brushed on, and tipped out with a foam brush should do the trick.

Steve Ball

Hello

Steve

Thank you I have never used west coat or system 3 I'll look in to it. I have seen on this site many ppl post this product.

THXS

Ken

All squared main bottom is applied I used a lite plywood.The top surface well be balsa.

what will you power it with? do you have any pics of a finished one, kinda curious what the finished product will look like.

what will you power it with? do you have any pics of a finished one, kinda curious what the finished product will look like.
Carl

The hull is 27" in length I will sent it up with a Losi .21 because it is a small block an I can use .12 novarossi or OS Max .18 any of these will be more RPM's power than the old Veco.19 that Mr.Hanson used.I'll look for a pic it is a cabover design

Carl

The hull is 27" in length I will sent it up with a Losi .21 because it is a small block an I can use .12 novarossi or OS Max .18 any of these will be more RPM's power than the old Veco.19 that Mr.Hanson used.I'll look for a pic it is a cabover design
Having problems with uploading pic Ill try again soon

Losi .21 small block

Next up finish the round nose an top decking

Hey Ken, I didn't know you was building the little hydro! Looks great! Take an old builders advise and don't use balsa for the top decking unless you glass it with one layer of 6 oz. fiberglass cloth. Just drop a screw driver on the balsa decking and you have a hole. The cloth will strengthen it considerably. As for West System, I use 105 epoxy and 206 hardener. You can buy it from Aircraft Spruce. 6 oz. fiberglass cloth can be bought at your local auto parts store. Later! Joe

Before you get too far, be sure to seal all the interior wood with epoxy. If you don't, even condensation can damage the wood. If you don't have any epoxy resin yet, just use 30 minute epoxy glue thinned with 91% isopropyl alcohol. Do not use 70% isopropyl alcohol as it has too much water in it and will cause your epoxy glue to never really harden. Do not thin the glue too much, just enough to make it about the consistency of thick paint. Joe

Joe

Thanks for the info.I used plywood on the bottom I also waiting for dryer weather to seal the wood.Im going to use balsa an West System using 105 epoxy and 206 hardener. 6 oz. fiberglass, Trying to keep the CG low that's why I used full plywood bottom an balsa top.

DRV2WIN

Ken

Below is a pic of snoopy ill be doing a full cowl or dummy motor no sure yet

kinda looks familiar. was the plans available for rc modeler years ago? looks like a neat boat.

kinda looks familiar. was the plans available for rc modeler years ago? looks like a neat boat.
Yes Dick Hanson did a write up on his boat in the R/C Modeler ,an made plans available also.I lost contact with Mr.Hanson 1978 after returning from the Military found he had move he had moved. time has passed I wish him well.

thxs

Ken

i actually think i have these plans. ill have to take a look. i be following your build for sure.

Latest posts

Back