101 heat racing tips.....

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Larson

1. I use a small piece of radio box tape to keep the junction of my nicad pack and switch harness dry and locked up........

2. I use the electrical contact grease left from spark/distributor installs to coat the contacts of all the servo/receiver connections..... contact and corrosion....

c'mon let's see what ya got!

I try not to hit a bouy @ full throttle, a dead boat @ full throttle or the bank @ full throttle :ph34r:

Get someone that KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING to be your pit man. Nothing worse than having someone without a clue trying to help start and launch a boat

4. Put something absorbant in the radio box.

5. Squirt WD40 thru the cooling jacket when you are finished running. Much easier than changing broken head bolts. Un-tape the radio box lid and unplug the battery pack too!

6. Use 5 cell RX packs - throw the standard battery holders that come with radio's in the bin!

7. Never re-use wristpin clips!

4. Put something absorbant in the radio box. 5. Squirt WD40 thru the cooling jacket when you are finished running. Much easier than changing broken head bolts. Un-tape the radio box lid and unplug the battery pack too!

6. Use 5 cell RX packs - throw the standard battery holders that come with radio's in the bin!

7. Never re-use wristpin clips!
BEFORE going to pits

OK here's afew that have bit me in the past;

Is there fuel in the tank(got me a couple times)

Turn motor after fueling till it mists out plug hole and clamp off fuel line to carb(should start quick after un clamping fuel line)

check for good plug,and a spare ready

shaft greased, prop tight, collet tight

fuel, water,pressure lines secure

radio, servos all working correct

do you have a good, slightly rich needle

can your idle mill at the right speed

have a good, (no great pit guy) that can help get you in the water and help get you on the clock

get in lane one a lap ahead of clock at least(legally) and hold it to bouy one (LOL)

the rest is up to you and your set-up( this is where there seems to allways be a problem) (LOL)

Is there fuel in the tank(got me a couple times)
Got me a couple of times too - **** non-translucent metal tanks!

I almost forgot a real biggy - probably should be on the top of the list! FLOTATION!

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember to turn on your boat, especially if it's a gasser, before your pitman dislocates his shoulder trying to start it. :lol:
Your a real trooper! Jim had a great time on his rookie race. And he won!

What a hoot.
Yup, that smile in Jim's face was priceless!!! I think we got'm hooked ....... :p

Another heat racing tip- be sure your multi boat transmitter is set on the correct boat BEFORE the heat starts. I can't tell you how many times I've seen this one happen since the advent of multi model radios. :rolleyes:

Now we're happenin'! !!

Had a lot of the above take me from a heat.....

HOT glow driver... and fresh plug and wrench close at hand......

Following the fastest guy at mill seldom makes a good start, practice, and learn your own game............

The pit man response is right on.... there is technique/skill involved launchin riggers.......

Make sure you actually ran your antenna wire up the tube before taping down the radio box cover :eek:

Make sure your motor is running in the proper direction.

I've seen plenty of people fire up an inboard motor with a starter set up for an outboard then try to launch it. :lol: The reverse boat trick.

This is also true for the outboard guys.

-Buck-

Make sure your throttle servo/linkage opens and closes the carburetor barrel all the way.

Dont let your buddy drive your boat in open water the morning of the race. No matter if you think he can drive a boat or not. :rolleyes:

Back