1/8th scale '73 Pak nitro to fast electric conversion

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a Phil Thomas Executone as well. The heat got it in Colorado so Jerry Dunlap donated his old wood hull that came back to him after years. It was a fun project. Feel free to PM me with questions. I will try to get some pictures of my latest scale setup to show the wiring. It won't be until the end of the week.

Lohring Miller
I had a Phil Thomas Executone as well. The heat got it in Colorado so Jerry Dunlap donated his old wood hull that came back to him after years. It was a fun project. Feel free to PM me with questions. I will try to get some pictures of my latest scale setup to show the wiring. It won't be until the end of the week.

Lohring Miller
Thanks Lohring! Im pretty sure you can expect a pretty good number of PMs from me for this "project"!
default_smile.png
:)
default_laugh.png
:lol:

As promised, here is a picture of the wiring in my latest 1/8 scale. Notice how the two 4s packs in series are wired in parallel with the 2 red wires from the batteries with 5.5 mm bullets are joined into a single 8 mm bullet that goes to the ESC. The same thing happens to the black wires, but they aren't connected in this picture. All the high current connectors are 8 mm while the battery 5.5 mm connectors carry 1/2 the current.

20161113_125748.jpg

The aluminum brick cooling isn't really needed for the Castle 200 amp ESC, and my later versions only use two tubes as pictured.

20161113_131701.jpg

Lohring Miller

I have two scale electrics. One I got from Don Ferrette that he still holds the saw record at 100 mph and a round nose that I converted from nitro to electric. Both boats run 62 mph for heat racing using the neu motors suggested. One is 8s and one is 10s. Both run the octura x450 three blade prop using 1/4 inch cable stubbed down to 3/16 for the prop. They are heavy, but never have blown off the water even if I use a larger prop and get into the higher 60s. They are my most fun boats to run but I am the only 1/8th scale modeler in District 12 so they sit on the shelf until someone else decides to race that class. Of all the electric boats I have run, the scale is the less trouble and the most fun. You will enjoy just running the boat at the local pond by yourself. I just love when the roundnose tail gets up in the air and the boat shoots down the straightaway. There is nothing like it! Have fun with your new toy.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two scale electrics. One I got from Don Ferrette that he still holds the saw record at 100 mph and a round nose that I converted from nitro to electric. Both boats run 62 mph for heat racing using the neu motors suggested. One is 8s and one is 10s. Both run the octura x450 three blade prop using 1/4 inch cable stubbed down to 3/16 for the prop. They are heavy, but never have blown off the water even if I use a larger prop and get into the higher 60s. They are my most fun boats to run but I am the only 1/8th scale modeler in District 12 so they sit on the shelf until someone else decides to race that class. Of all the electric boats I have run, the scale is the less trouble and the most fun. You will enjoy just running the boat at the local pond by yourself. I just love when the roundnose tail gets up in the air and the boat shoots down the straightaway. There is nothing like it! Have fun with your new toy.

John, thanks so much for chiming in! Im very excited about not only running the boat, but building and setting up the boat for FE......its been awhile since i've built a boat and this project seemed to kick me in the butt to do some building/ rigging again! I did want to know how much each of your scale boats actually weighed, ready to run if you dont mind.......! Many Thanks! Bill

Bardahl round nose 16 lbs 8 oz. 2 - 5s 5000 Batteries shoved up in the nose in series for 10s with 850 kv motor. cg 1/2 inch behind the front sponson ride surface.

Oberto pickle 2 - 4s 6000 packs as far forward as possible for 8s total for 1100kv motor directly behind batteries. 16lbs 2 oz with cg 2 inches behind sponsons.

Bardahl round nose 16 lbs 8 oz. 2 - 5s 5000 Batteries shoved up in the nose in series for 10s with 850 kv motor. cg 1/2 inch behind the front sponson ride surface.

Oberto pickle 2 - 4s 6000 packs as far forward as possible for 8s total for 1100kv motor directly behind batteries. 16lbs 2 oz with cg 2 inches behind sponsons.
Thanks John! I'm pretty sure my Pak will weigh every bit of that... It started off as a Dumas kit and i kinda went the WOF construction route with it..... I straightened the ramp out of the bottom of it, and "shallowed" up the transom depth..... These boats are Notoriously tail heavy so I'm trying to put as much gear in the front of the boat as possible.....I'm very aware of your back ground in model boat racing(I've got your plans for your Wild Thing) so please feel free to offer up any advice anytime you'd like!!

Bill lloking good!

If you need graphics let me know I have done a few of these or others.

PaynPak.jpg

John,

please post photos of your Bardahl.

thank you,

dave w.

Latest posts

Back