1/2 Mill Full Mill

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only run a full-mill course and have only seen half-mill at an electric boat race. I think that I prefer the full-mill.

I've only run a full-mill course and have only seen half-mill at an electric boat race. I think that I prefer the full-mill.
Thanks Ron. I am asking because in APBA District 17 we run a 1/2 mill course. On the first lap around we go past the start finsh buoy but during the rest of the mill time we can cut to the back straight aywhere between corner one and two. I have heard NAMBA runs a 1/2 mill course and wanted to know how this got started. And why is it done instead of full mill.

Thanks Ron. I am asking because in APBA District 17 we run a 1/2 mill course. On the first lap around we go past the start finsh buoy but during the rest of the mill time we can cut to the back straight aywhere between corner one and two. I have heard NAMBA runs a 1/2 mill course and wanted to know how this got started. And why is it done instead of full mill.
My guess is it was created by people who could not figure out how to get the right timing during a full mill. :)

My guess is it was created by people who could not figure out how to get the right timing during a full mill. :)
That might be the reason. I was told it cuts down on accidents when pit men launch boats into the driving lanes.

That might be the reason. I was told it cuts down on accidents when pit men launch boats into the driving lanes.
An interesting possibility, but it's pretty easy for drivers to hug the bouy side of the front straight, rather than the shoreline, and pit men to launch boats in the direction of the traffic, rather than toward the center of the course. It also should be part of the standard launch for pit men to look to the right, and left, before launching. I wonder how often such collisions occur during full mill races.

I've raced several different mill patterns.

Full mill - The standard IMPBA mill pattern. No cuts allowed. Everyone runs the same course but racing can start 1 lap before the official start. Inexperienced racers sometimes take each other out well before the start of the race when they jockey for position.

1/2 mill 5 sec no cut - The standard NAMBA mill pattern. Racers may cut the course from front to back untill 5 seconds before the start. Results in boats merging at the entrance buoy of the final turn. If the CD doesn't strictly enforce rught of way and lane violations, the cutting boats will force their way into lane 1.

1/2 mill 30 second no cut - Combines the good and bad points of the above mill patterns, but eliminates the problem at the final turn before the start. Usually results in clean starts especially with aggressive racers.

All cut mill - After first rounding the left turn after launch, racers must cut the course until the start. This results in a similar situation to the full mill with the advantage of allowing more adjustment of starting position. Raced at the 2005 NAMBA Nationals.

They all have advantages and disadvantages. Try different ones and see.

Lohring Miller

PS I've never raced the corner mill start, where racers only mill around the right turn.

I forgot to mention that all the front to back cuts in the mill patterns I mentioned take place after the start buoy and before the left turn. Racers have the choice of merging into the pattern anywhere along the back straight.

Lohring Miller

I've raced several different mill patterns.

Full mill - The standard IMPBA mill pattern. No cuts allowed. Everyone runs the same course but racing can start 1 lap before the official start. Inexperienced racers sometimes take each other out well before the start of the race when they jockey for position.

1/2 mill 5 sec no cut - The standard NAMBA mill pattern. Racers may cut the course from front to back untill 5 seconds before the start. Results in boats merging at the entrance buoy of the final turn. If the CD doesn't strictly enforce rught of way and lane violations, the cutting boats will force their way into lane 1.

1/2 mill 30 second no cut - Combines the good and bad points of the above mill patterns, but eliminates the problem at the final turn before the start. Usually results in clean starts especially with aggressive racers.

All cut mill - After first rounding the left turn after launch, racers must cut the course until the start. This results in a similar situation to the full mill with the advantage of allowing more adjustment of starting position. Raced at the 2005 NAMBA Nationals.

They all have advantages and disadvantages. Try different ones and see.

Lohring Miller

PS I've never raced the corner mill start, where racers only mill around the right turn.

I forgot to mention that all the front to back cuts in the mill patterns I mentioned take place after the start buoy and before the left turn. Racers have the choice of merging into the pattern anywhere along the back straight.

Lohring Miller
Thanks Lohring for the information. I would like to hear why and how the 1/2 mill got started. Maybe some NAMBA guys can tell me. And how do you keep people from forcing there way into the racing lanes on the back straight.

[Allan, in District 16 we mill either a full or half coarse with the boats on the back streight having the right of way over those entering the coarse on the half mill.

keith

Back