1988-89 Oberto

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gale54

I watched a video on youtube of a recent RCU race and someone was running a 1988-89 Oberto. I would like to chat with the person about their boat.

Thanks

Don

If you were watching the video from the Dean Chenoweth Memorial, David Newton was driving the boat, the 1988 version, for Fred Olson. Fred uses the name u60 and David goes by miniczar here in the forum. Hope that helps Don

Last edited by a moderator:
I just tried too, without success. That boat's been around for a long time. I remember, years ago, when the builder, Howard Price, was at a race with it . He had pulled the motor to take care of a problem he was having and they put him on the clock. Between the two of us, we reinstalled the motor, fueled, started and launched the boat in less than 2.5 minutes. He later sold the boat to another member of R/C Unlimiteds who raced it for a while before apparently selling it to Fred.

Don- I PM'd you... I have the 88/89 Oberto. I also have it in GAS scale, but I haven't run that one yet. It's not quite finished, along with a few other projects. Fred

It depends on which R/C U you are referring to. As far as the nitro club, yes. We run 1/8th scale nitro and electric boats in their own heats, no mixing the two. E-R/C U runs 1/10th electrics. There are also 1/7th electric and 1/6.7 gas scale and CT boats that run in a couple of different clubs as well.

i'am also going to build this boat using an old Dumas hull I bought off eBay a few years ago. The boat needs the upper deck to be skinned and i'am going to use a cowling from R/C Boat co. Here a picture I found on IW and a snap shop from r/c unlimited page described above I hope this helps you fine what you need

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

If the Dumas you bought is the scale Atlas, you will need to modify the front of the cockpit to make the RCBC cowl fit properly. Dumas boats are notorious for having narrow engine bays so you may need to build up or move the cockpit sides out to fit the cowl shape

i'am also going to build this boat using an old Dumas hull I bought off eBay a few years ago. The boat needs the upper deck to be skinned and i'am going to use a cowling from R/C Boat co. Here a picture I found on IW and a snap shop from r/c unlimited page described above I hope this helps you fine what you need
That's my boat just finished it last year, and just started running it. Have put a full build report in my Facebook account.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/bob.gutsell/media_set?set=a.4149984317446.171710.1519001777&type=3

I used the RC Boat co cowl as well. I'd been staying out of this thread because it looked like someone was asking about Fred's boat. More than happy to provide input if needed.

Thank you everyone for the information I did talk to Fred by phone last night.

Back