Recovery Boat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Ballard

About a year or so ago I saw some pictures of a Home made recovery boat and would like to find them again. Can anybody help an old timer out? THANX

I believe the best system is to simply tow a line out from a fishing reel. Drive around your boat and reel both back in. I have seen the fancy pontoon style catchers. They are big complicated and sometimes push the boat under water. A cheap little electric boat and a fishing reel is best. You can put a few fishing bobbers on the line for a few feet behind the boat to help stop the line from sinking and make it easier to see.

Zippkits tug boat makes a good recovery boat...

You can put whatever on it's back deck. Also have put a

grappling hook with heavy line to clean the pond of debris.

Best method is as Tom said, tow a fishing line out to the boat.

These are a couple I've made, both from Vac-U-Boat. They have never let me down, the yellow one is great it all packs into a toolbox.

I won an Atlantic tug at the Nat's, it's getting a total rebuild into something that can rival Jerry Dunlop's duck chaser lol.

54b3dcbb-7053-46f7-96bf-9d71ba35d284_zps0ad0ccb9.jpg

P1010422_zps20fbb673.jpg

P1000581.jpg

I've pretty much tried all the rescue methods but I like these the best because you are pushing in the rescued boats forward so it's faster and the boats stay drier than dragging them backwards snagged by the fin or rudder. The towed hook can also get snagged in the weeds or pull the tow boat under as well (done both).

The only problem was riding up over low floating riggers but that was solved with a short rod pointing down between the arms. It works great for snagging cowls as well, even managed to bring it a .12 rigger cowl with it. We've been using these for 5 or 6 years on practice days when the tennis ball won't reach and they have never let us down.

Im a big fan of towing a line behind a tug with a tennis ball or something floaty. We use the tugster from zippkits to get the ones too far out for the fishing pole, works great and fun while doing it !

Thank you for all the ideas the tug boat was what I was looking for this will get me where I need to be thanks again.

Back