You R&D guys .... synthetic strut bearings ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Schneider

Question for the brain pool among you R&D guys, Try stuff modelers

Know and used Lead/Teflons, Brass sleeve in stuffing tube & Oillite bronze for strut/shaft bearings . IMO all work well pending application and prop size in use.

Have ANY of you fooled around with synthetic materials such as Delrin, Nylons or Teflon Etc ... as a sleeve type bearing material in a R/C boats strut ?

Question for the brain pool among you R&D guys, Try stuff modelers

Know and used Lead/Teflons, Brass sleeve in stuffing tube & Oillite bronze for strut/shaft bearings . IMO all work well pending application and prop size in use.

Have ANY of you fooled around with synthetic materials such as Delrin, Nylons or Teflon Etc ... as a sleeve type bearing material in a R/C boats strut ?
Hi Scott,

Ray Roman and I have been using discarded conveyor belt material from coal mines. We have never wore them out. Machine up some of those materials you mentioned and see what happens. oh like your twin :D

Low budget

Bob

Scott

I problem using delrin In the strut that it will melt away.I have try it and when a gets warm it will start to bind up.

Dave Roach

Scott

I problem using delrin In the strut that it will melt away.I have try it and when a gets warm it will start to bind up.

Dave Roach
Same thing can happen to teflon . When it gets warm , it melts away .

I think ( but i'm not sure) that you are better off with Ertalon but i'm sure more qualified people will be able to tell you .

I think the main killers for those kinds of bearings are the vibrations . Once they start to show some wear , the wear will increase a lot . And this combined with high rpm ( and more heat) and its gone in a few minutes

Regards ,

B

Last edited by a moderator:
Great ideas all but if you race you either have to have a spare strut setup or have a quickly replacable item like a brass bushing or needle bearing etc. when it breaks between heats you gotta get it fixed quick !!

Had a strut made around sealed ceramic bearings and used the enforcer shafts.

Have not run it yet but it is the most free spinning set up I have felt yet. planing on spinning it to 50000 RPMs.

Turned out real nice. :D

http://www.whhonline.com/product-p/rh2074-2.htm

David

Rulon is generally used where stick slip may be a problem. For example, the housing of a water brake dyno can be mounted using Rulon J bearing material. Rulon J has the lowest coefficient of friction of any reinforced PTFE. This makes it ideal for start/ stop applications where stick slip must be eliminated. A maxium service temperature of 200 deg F probably makes it unsuitable for a strut bushing bearing material. It operates satisfactorily against soft steels, stainless steels & aluminums. Since its coefficient of expansion is much higher than most metals, sufficient clearance must be provided to prevent drag.

Jim Allen

Thanks Jim for clearing that up.

Any idea of what the operating temp of the average strut bushing generally is in practice?

Thanks Jim for clearing that up.

Any idea of what the operating temp of the average strut bushing generally is in practice?
I have no idea because the struts that I run have a 1/8" ID angled water inlet machined in the bottom. The Bearium Metal bushings that I use last for a life time.

I been using delrin in an outboard mount as the swivel plate. It works awesome and have not seen any slop in the 3 that I built. Been running them for 6+ yrs. Have not tried using it as a strut without a brass liner.

Mike

Best strut-bearing material is PEEK (mod) with carbon and teflon added .. but expensive :(

As I know you like your Octura strut ... 2 1/4"x5/16" lead-teflon sliding-bearings will work.

Using the WHH #2074 propshaft * , 'ferrule' -part turned down to 5/16" and support that with 5/16x25/64" (8x10mm) bearing ,

will make it almost fool-proof. ... I'll send you more examples by mail , for the others one of them :

Octura_square HXstyle-4.jpg

* Square ferrule can be drilled to round 1/4" , flexcable can be soft-silver soldered or Loctited .

Back